View Full Version : Cigar torch-flame lighter

Robusto
07-09-2008, 02:06 PM
Recommendations, please.
Reasonable price a requirement.
Where from? How much?

larrysputnik
07-09-2008, 02:23 PM
Zippo Blue - It is a bit expensive but it has a lifetime guarantee.

Robusto
07-09-2008, 07:31 PM
Is that a torch lighter, Larry?

Any comments on any of these types of lighters, please?
Taken from the web at random.

http://www.cigarsunlimited.co.uk/acatalog/Cigar_Torches.html

Drewmidorn
08-09-2008, 08:00 AM
Hi,

I have had three colibri lighters in the past and they have been a complete waste of money. What I do now is buy the twin flame Eurohike lighter from millets...its every bit as good and at about 7 quid if it dies on me I throw it away and get another. Its not a thing of beauty but in my experience it works just as well as the colibris which come in at around ?60. Here's a link

http://www.millets.co.uk/Double-Jet-Windproof-Ligh/product/111725.aspx?searchbreadcrumbs=brand|MIL-SS06-Eurohike(BLG-Base-Catalog)|Eurohike&refine=BLG-Accessory-Type|Miscellaneous|String;BLG-Colour|Multi|String

cohibaIV
08-09-2008, 12:21 PM
Zippo Blue - It is a bit expensive but it has a lifetime guarantee.

Zippo Blue....was thinking of getting one of these myself:D

http://www.zippocasemuseum.com/index.aspx?tabindex=1&tabid=6&tabName=Zippo%20BLU&mid=2&directoryid=%20162&ctrl=productlist&%20PromotionName=BLU_2008&utm_source=CigarAficionado&utm_medium=webBanner&utm_campaign=BLU_08

SmokinCohibas
08-09-2008, 03:54 PM
I have been using a really cheap jet flame lighter from Hong Kong and it never let me down so far, also has a see thru tank so I always know when running low on gas and need to refill.

Deano
08-09-2008, 04:11 PM
Loads on ebay, have a scout, gor Colibri or similar:
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38&_nkw=colibri

larrysputnik
09-09-2008, 02:28 AM
Is that a torch lighter, Larry?

Any comments on any of these types of lighters, please?
Taken from the web at random.

http://www.cigarsunlimited.co.uk/acatalog/Cigar_Torches.html

Yeah it's a new torch lighter that zippo has put out on the market. I have one and it is really nice, but to be honest with you I have actually been lighting my cigars with a lit piece of cedar lately. It really lights the smoke fast and well and it has a pleasant smell. If you haven't tried this yet do it with the next cigar you get wrapped in cedar.

Robusto
09-09-2008, 05:30 PM
Will do that, Larry. Meanwhile I'll pop into Millett's in Canterbury and follow Drew's advice first.

SmokinCohibas
09-09-2008, 08:49 PM
I've got a box of Davidoff matches but never used them...

Robusto
14-09-2008, 08:16 AM
I've got a couple of boxes of long matches from JJ Fox. Nice white box. Classy. lol

I bought the camping torch lighter from Milletts yesterday for seven quid (see above) and it's working just fine.

I walked round every jewellers in Canterbury yeterday to look for the Zippo Blu (sic?) but no shop had one. I can see them on ebay.

I turn 50 in December and am going to suggest a cigar-related item or two as a present. I have a great Zino humidor. I'm not "showy" in the sense that I don't really like onyx ashtrays and flashier kit (tho I'd get a bloody good laugh in my brain at walking round weird places like Holland and Barrett with a Monte walkabout humidor loaded with 30 awesome sticks. It screams "I mean fucking business!", and it's so fantastic!).

My humidor has never been full to the brim, and that's OK. I might get myself a Blu lighter and spend the rest on exotic swimwear. Who knows?

I'm bumping gig earnings into a fund for new performer software in the band.

But some of the excess will always go up in smoke.

smokiejoe
14-09-2008, 08:28 AM
i try to use long matches to lite up,i hav a decent flame lighter which does the trick also,but i do prefer to good ole match.

Wildwood
14-09-2008, 09:27 AM
Hey Robusto,

If you find a good source for the Zippo Blu, let me know...I'm looking to upgrade from my 3 existing ciggie lighters to a better cigar-oriented model. Why don't lighters ever last very long? I'm having trouble refilling 2 of mine but hesitate to throw them out in case it's just me doing something wrong! Best lighter (most reliable) I've got is a freebie I sent away for when I bought a tin of Cafe Creme about 8 years ago...the ones I paid for are the ones I'm having trouble with!

I turned 50 about 20 months ago...wasn't back into cigars then so missed the boat. :(

Like the exotic swimwear idea! Can't wait to see the posts/piccies for that!!:D

Wildwood

Robusto
14-09-2008, 02:30 PM
Hi Wildwood.

So you are a converted cigarette smoker, then? Well done you, mate!

I've had some torch-like cigar lighters before, but one of them was so badly designed you couldn't push the cap back to get at a 50 ring gauge beaut.

I also hesitated at Larry / Sputnik's Zippo Blu suggestion at first because I presumed it would be fuelled by that other pongy fuel stuff that knackers cigars and kills your taste buds. Now I can see that it's not.

Wildwood
14-09-2008, 04:00 PM
I used to smoke ciggies a loooong time ago...gave up when Peter Stuyvesant got to 65p a packet - outrageous!! But, I used to smoke when I went on holiday abroad...seemed much more natural somehow, so a couple of lighters were holiday acquistions...though not cheap! Then I started smoking cigars about 11 years ago...and stopped 5 years ago when my first son was born.

There, my smoking history - except for nicking my Mum's consulate when I was a kiddie! ;)

Wildwood

Robusto
14-09-2008, 04:08 PM
I bump to cigarettes when in France or Greece a bit simply because British cigarettes seem to be made of brass. They are foul things.

B&H are utterly appalling.

Wildwood
14-09-2008, 04:15 PM
How much is a packet of fags (sorry America!) these days?

Wildwood

Robusto
14-09-2008, 07:38 PM
Don't people pay about ?4.50 for shite like 20 Superkings?
They must be mental.

Wildwood
14-09-2008, 07:46 PM
Cripes...that's a lot! Get 1/2 reasonable cigars for that!

Wildwood

Drewmidorn
15-09-2008, 01:58 PM
If I'm not out and about I always use matches. Bryant and May extra long matches from tesco. Oh the Glamour. lol

Montesmoke
15-09-2008, 07:05 PM
No & then might use a long bit of thin cedar from a cigar box, to fire up.

cohibaIV
15-09-2008, 07:14 PM
Thats some thing I have not done.....might try

G-man
08-05-2009, 03:29 AM
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=middle><BIG style="COLOR: rgb(255,0,0)"><BIG><B><BIG><BIG><BIG><BIG><BIG><BIG><BIG></BIG></BIG></BIG></BIG></BIG></BIG></BIG></B></BIG>http://www.blazerproducts.com/lighters/images/zplussquare2.jpg
</BIG>
<BIG><BIG><BIG><B><BIG><BIG>Fits Most Popular Liquid Fuel Lighter Cases!</BIG></BIG></B></BIG></BIG></BIG>
<BIG style="COLOR: rgb(255,0,0)"></BIG></TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top">
</TD></TR><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top">
</TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle width="100%">
One Of The Year's Most Popular New Lighter Accessories - Bring your old case lighter roaring into the 21st Century in just 2 easy steps - Remove the original lighter insert and replace with the Z-PLUS insert and you're ready to go.

Keep your favorite lighter style while adding the modern convenience and reliability of a powerful blue torch flame.<BIG><BIG><BIG><BIG> The Z-Plus Torch Flame Lighter Insert features:
</BIG></BIG></BIG></BIG>

Electro Quartz Crystal Ignition, never need another flint
Butane Refillable, No Odor, No Mess, and it won't evaporate
Wind resistant torch flame makes it ideal for outdoor use
Steady torch flame is perfect for quickly and evenly lighting your favorite cigar without the usual gas odor tainting
Lock works with most popular lighter cases
<BIG><BIG>Makes a great gift for the Millions of flip top lighter collectors Worldwide!</BIG></BIG>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Deano
07-06-2009, 10:17 AM
Just bought a Zippo Blu for 26 inc P&P on Ebay. My Colibri is buggered.

cj121
07-06-2009, 10:26 AM
Nice price Deano.

I'm running one of these
https://www.tomtom.co.uk/Catalogue/Productimage.aspx?Product=818&ImageType=image&Index=0&Pin=
Du Pont X-Tend. Great little lighter. I didn't pay the 98 retail price mind you:eek:

daverave999
07-06-2009, 10:47 AM
I've been using a Turboflame Military (http://www.turboflame.co.uk/TForiginalRubber.php) for quite some months now. Does the job, doesn't look too bad and was less than a tenner from ebay. I also keep a Dora catalytic lighter (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-x-Dora-Red-Jet-Flame-Windproof-Refillable-Lighters_W0QQitemZ250434921888QQcmdZViewItemQQptZU K_Collectables_Tobacciana_Smoking_LE?hash=item3a4f 15a5a0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A4%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1683%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A200) in my bag for touch-ups as it's a much softer flame.

ACMCC
07-06-2009, 11:50 AM
Good idea those cheapo jet flame's.... I've got a couple of colibri lighters which are crap, brought from jjfox (double normal price) lasted a week.. lol - have not been back to london since so have not yet taken back... striped one down to try and fix it, the inside is so badly made you would be shocked, the method for turning the gas on is a couple of bits of tin sliding against each other in a soft plastic track, would be worn out in a few months if it worked at all, I think thats why colibri went bust about 4 months ago, they may have been brought out or rescued in some way, but there warranty claims must be massive, I've never found any one that's had one working perfect past one year!

anybody had any of these lotus or 'plentheos' brands, there must be a reasonably priced lighter that works well for a long time in existence?

(life time warranty's are great untill you read small print and pay postage both ways to America and back which ends up being as dear as the lighter and have to buy another while you wait 3/4 months for it to return!)

Lascaux
07-06-2009, 03:12 PM
that z plus sounds great, gonna order one for my silver zippo

nicwing
07-06-2009, 07:01 PM
Michael from Canadia who was on the walk yesterday had an amazing little torch lighter which is designed as a cheap welding torch. It contains a disposable lighter in an outer case with a trigger and it produces an amazing concentrated small jet.

You can take the small lighter out and pop it in your pocket to fly so no problems and my recollection is they cost about fluppence (of course that's in Canadian dollars)

I will get more details and publish them here.

daverave999
07-06-2009, 07:36 PM
Like this?
(http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=27919)

Lascaux
07-06-2009, 07:47 PM
looks very similar, brilliant thing

nicwing
07-06-2009, 08:10 PM
That looks like the baby, I'm going to order one forth with.

Michael made the point that he had four or five expensive lighters which required triple distilled spirit to avoid then jamming up,

This baby survives on anything and cooks up a stogie a storm.

Deano
07-06-2009, 08:49 PM
Just don't pop it out next week at the 'event' nic. Not sure it'll go down that well heh.

nicwing
07-06-2009, 09:01 PM
Just don't pop it out next week at the 'event' nic. Not sure it'll go down that well heh.

No need, I heard they have topless "lighter ladies" who will "lite you up" as soon as they see a cutter!

Lascaux
10-06-2009, 10:56 AM
:target:ok i just got one of those iroda's from maplin and it was broken out of the box, make sure when you buy that you test it straight away:target:

ario
16-06-2009, 06:38 PM
There are a lot of interesting lighters here (https://www.dealextreme.com/products.dx/category.809)
I think a lot of them don't come with any gas, but for the price they're not bad :smile:

TJCoro
19-06-2009, 12:15 AM
Nice price Deano.

I'm running one of these
https://www.tomtom.co.uk/Catalogue/Productimage.aspx?Product=818&ImageType=image&Index=0&Pin=
Du Pont X-Tend. Great little lighter. I didn't pay the 98 retail price mind you:eek:

I've owned two Dupont lighters like the one above for several years. Best lighters I have ever used. Well worth the investment, muchachos. A must for all true puro aficionado! :41:

But that's just me, :bandit: TJ, TJCoro.

:juggle:

cj121
20-06-2009, 06:41 AM
Like the man says...:rock:

Lascaux
21-06-2009, 09:29 PM
spent some time using that maplin lighter and to be honest i'd say don't bother with it, maybe its different to the one michael had but mine just gave out after a week or so of use. id slot the disposable lighter in, it would work for the first light then stop until i rejigged it

TJCoro
22-06-2009, 12:22 AM
Like the man says...:rock:

Senor lascaux

I repeat...like the man said!:smoke:

:bandit:

cj121
25-06-2009, 07:08 AM
Senor lascaux

I repeat...like the man said!:smoke:

No messing, straight to da Dupont point:biggrin1:

Pantomimehorse
25-06-2009, 09:32 AM
oh I will have to get myself one of those X-tends now, this bloody forums costing me a fortune!

NADZ
12-07-2009, 07:41 PM
I was impressed with Michael's torch that was powered by a standard disposable lighter - very clever design. Indeed it looks identical to the Maplan product being offered on this side of the pond.

After a couple of my Colibri lighters began to die, I asked my local cigar supplier (when I was in Canada) to recommend a lighter. He told me the best lighter that he and his colleagues swear by (as thier personal accessories) is the Ronson JetLite Blue (purchased at Walmart). I bought one 3yrs ago and can say this is a workhorse that has performed leagues better than my 'fancy' lighters and works as good today as when I bought it. It sells for under $10 in the US. http://www.ronsonstore.com/jetLite.aspx Cheers, Nadz

cj121
12-07-2009, 08:17 PM
oh I will have to get myself one of those X-tends now, this bloody forums costing me a fortune!

LOL, it's a fugger eh Chris.

@NADZ, defo worth a look at them I reckon. Nice one.

complex
13-07-2009, 01:10 PM
S.T. Dupont X-Tend mini-jet are very gud!!!

It has a very pointy, straightforward flame perfect for toasting cigar. Even in the wind with a distance it'll give perfect burn every time. The maxi-jet will run for a week or two surprisingly if you have a cigar regularly ...

ACMCC
14-07-2009, 11:54 AM
I had a look at a few brands while over in the US, Vectra and Lotus stood out as very good, the bloke in the shop who stocked loads of Colibri's said don't get a colibri - there crap.... have to agree - stood there for 20 mins clicking a Thundra - lit 80 out of 80 times! so one of them it was... see pics in me post in humi's & A's. :41:

There was a great pocket one with 3 bullet cutters (Diesel) which came out like a swiss army knife - wish I'd got that too now :rolleyes:

http://www.vectorkgm.com/

TJCoro
14-07-2009, 12:06 PM
S.T. Dupont X-Tend mini-jet are very gud!!!

It has a very pointy, straightforward flame perfect for toasting cigar. Even in the wind with a distance it'll give perfect burn every time. The maxi-jet will run for a week or two surprisingly if you have a cigar regularly ...

Senor complicated is right on the money$$$! The Dupont X-Tend is the most dependable lighter I've ever owned or used, for that matter. And it's quite stingy on fuel as well. :41:

I do like the table top lighters linked in ACMCCMouse's post (http://www.vectorkgm.com/):41:

Pantomimehorse
16-07-2009, 09:44 PM
I went into JJFox today with the idea that I would buy a Dupont X-tend , I had a look at both the mini and the regular and really thought they seemed like any other torch lighter, I really wanted to buy one but just kept thinking but why is this worth the money? that I couldnt answer, can any of you ? TJ CJ >?

Seriesteve
18-07-2009, 02:50 PM
I've been looking for a (good cheap) supplier of quality lighters for a long time now, never found one yet, bought a few whilst traveling abroad but I seem to go through a lot of them, dont know why :confused: I've had Blazers,Xikars never managed to justify a Dupont

HabanoSy
18-07-2009, 09:02 PM
Nice price Deano.

I'm running one of these

Does anyone know where I can get myself one of these for the best price...?

Light my fire, HabanoSy