PDA

View Full Version : Macallan

daverave999
30-07-2009, 10:15 PM
I've noticed a few of you have mentioned this stuff and I saw it behind the bar when I was out earlier. So I tried some.

Considering I'm not really a malt man (bourbon's more my taste), I enjoyed this. It smelt of burnt caramel to me, and I can still smell it on my breath. Went very well with the ribs I had for dinner!

What else could I seek out in a similar vein?

Gary
30-07-2009, 10:19 PM
Would myself be interested in knowing more about this Whiskey, maybe a wee review from one of the forum members who've tried it as I've been wanting to try this myself for a while.

Simon-JG-hr
30-07-2009, 10:21 PM
Which one did you have Dave? My favourites are the 10 and 18 year old Sherry Oak Cask as they have a nice slightly sweet, almost toffee, edge to them (could be what you had). :p

I do love this whisky, and I'm not a particularly whisky-ish person.

Gary
30-07-2009, 10:27 PM
While we're talking about scotch whiskey and all has anyone tried Ardbeg 10Yr Old? Another one I wouldn't mind trying and would be interested to know what others think.

Simon-JG-hr
30-07-2009, 10:33 PM
I haven't tried the Ardberg 10yo myself Gary, but the reviewers here (http://www.thedrinkshop.com/products/nlpdetail.php?prodid=1882) and here (http://www.forpeatsake.com/Ardbeg/Ardbeg+10+Years+Old/1) seem to think highly of it.

daverave999
30-07-2009, 10:38 PM
Which one did you have Dave? My favourites are the 10 and 18 year old Sherry Oak Cask as they have a nice slightly sweet, almost toffee, edge to them (could be what you had). :p

I do love this whisky, and I'm not a particularly whisky-ish person.
Well considering it was in a Beefeater or something like that, whichever is cheapest. I couldn't really see from the bar-just saw Macallan and recognised the name.

Simon-JG-hr
30-07-2009, 10:42 PM
I've no idea what the first Macallan I had was either (just that I loved it). It wasn't exactly straight or on the rocks though... A friend I was skiing with, upon a stop at a lovely little hut for a hot chocolate, decided to whip out his hip-flask and top up our (lovely) hot chocolates with one of their fine malts. :biggrin1:

Paulie
31-07-2009, 11:39 AM
The Macallan 10yr is known to have a slight hint of smoke as an aftertaste, probably why you enjoyed it.

Whilst not a single malt, The Famous Grouse is a brand which Macallan supply for their blends. You could try a Port Wood Finish TFG if you can find it, it has a sweetness to it as it is finished in port wood before being bottled.

Highland Park is also one of the suppliers for TFG, so if you like the Port Wood Finish you could also try a Highland Park Single Malt. It is based in the Orkneys and is very peaty and smokey in flavour.

A perfect malt for an after dinner cigar, I highly recommend trying it.

whisky77
31-07-2009, 11:45 AM
The Macallan 10yr is known to have a slight hint of smoke as an aftertaste, probably why you enjoyed it.

Whilst not a single malt, The Famous Grouse is a brand which Macallan supply for their blends. You could try a Port Wood Finish TFG if you can find it, it has a sweetness to it as it is finished in port wood before being bottled.

Highland Park is also one of the suppliers for TFG, so if you like the Port Wood Finish you could also try a Highland Park Single Malt. It is based in the Orkneys and is very peaty and smokey in flavour.

A perfect malt for an after dinner cigar, I highly recommend trying it.

Agree with Paulie on the Highland Park.This is a very nice malt which most whisky lovers enjoy and is an ideal accompliment if smoking something stronger like Partagas, Cohiba, Bolivar etc.

As for the Famous grouse, i`m afraid i would not touch the stuff.

whisky77
31-07-2009, 11:48 AM
While we're talking about scotch whiskey and all has anyone tried Ardbeg 10Yr Old? Another one I wouldn't mind trying and would be interested to know what others think.

The standard Ardbeg is lovely stuff Gary and bottled at about 46% so it is strong.Comes unchillfiltered, so it will cloud when you add water.

Remember though that it is from Islay so it is peatier than the likes of the Macallan or Highland Park.Very nice stuff.

Paulie
31-07-2009, 11:51 AM
It was a gift so thought I would give it a go as it was not the standard stuff. It's good for non whisky drinkers who visit as it is not something they have tried before and different enough to make them have some. Plus I get rid of it quicker too.

daverave999
31-07-2009, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the recommendations folks. I've just put up a new shelf specifically for spirits as the number of bottles was becoming quite unmanageable in my bookcase, so I'll give a few of these a go when I can.

celsis
31-07-2009, 12:21 PM

The Ardbeg is wonderful! It's one of my favourite whiskys. It is peaty, but not like Laphroaig or Talisker and is particularly smooth. I would recommend it!

deltawhisky
01-08-2009, 05:03 PM
Talisker is a well rounded Scotch. And PLEASE try Laphroaig to complement the smokiness of a good stick!

whisky77
01-08-2009, 05:13 PM
I do like a glass of Talisker as well, as it is a well rounded whisky which the majority of lads would like.

I like Laphroaig , but while i would recommend buying a bottle of Talisker , I would not advocate the expense of buying a bottle of laphroaig, just in case it is too peaty and heavy for some people.

Better to try it in a pub first, or purchase a miniature IMO.:rolleyes:

I allways remember seeing a film cilip from a whisky tasting event in San Fransisco, where the female TV presenter( not a whisky drinker) took a mouthfull of Laphroaig, and then did the unthinkable, live on camera.:eek:

jimmy_g32
01-08-2009, 09:49 PM
I agree completely about trying Laphroaig before you splash out on a bottle...that said, I love the stuff. Try and go for some of the Quarter Cask, if you can get it.

As far as Ardbeg is concerned, I have a particular soft-spot for Uigeadail (which I can't pronounce).

On another note - I've spent hours reading these forums today: really pleased to have found them!

Simon-JG-hr
01-08-2009, 10:31 PM
Welcome aboard Jimmy! Head over to the Newbie Greets forums and say hello!
:smoke:

deltawhisky
02-08-2009, 02:53 PM
Jimmy, quarter cask is definitely some good stuff. I would agree with whisky77, do try some laph. in a pub or bar beforehand, because I have indeed heard from some of my friends that it is a bit too heavy for their taste. Quarter cask offers a deeper note than the usual stuff, it made a wonderful new years drink last winter.

larrysputnik
06-08-2009, 08:44 PM
This is my favorite scotch to pair with cigars. I have only ever been able to afford the 12 year so that's all I've tasted. I drink it on the rocks and a splash of water. Another good one to try is the Johnnie Walker Gold label, which goes well with cigars especially since it has a smokey taste to it. This is a blended whiskey, unlike the single malt Macallan. I also enjoyed a Dalwhinnie (spelling?) 18 year old scotch that was absolutely fantastic. :41:

There is a whole culture to single malt scotch that is very much like the cigar culture. It is something I am easing into as well. Good to see the forum expand to include this as well. :rock:

daverave999
09-08-2009, 11:26 PM
As someone mentioned Ardbeg 10-yr Old here, a friend bought a bottle yesterday for the barbecue. I'm very much a convert! I will be buying a bottle of this.
When I first smelt it I thought "Christ, how can people drink this?" but after a few minutes it was slipping down very easily. I managed well over a third of the bottle myself, and I must say it was a disappointment to move onto Woodford Reserve when we'd finished it!

celsis
10-08-2009, 10:03 AM
This is my favorite scotch to pair with cigars. I have only ever been able to afford the 12 year so that's all I've tasted. I drink it on the rocks and a splash of water. Another good one to try is the Johnnie Walker Gold label, which goes well with cigars especially since it has a smokey taste to it. This is a blended whiskey, unlike the single malt Macallan. I also enjoyed a Dalwhinnie (spelling?) 18 year old scotch that was absolutely fantastic. :41:

There is a whole culture to single malt scotch that is very much like the cigar culture. It is something I am easing into as well. Good to see the forum expand to include this as well. :rock:

You're right in that the Malt culture is very akin to the cigar culture. In fact the Scotch Malt Whisky Society (http://www.smws.co.uk/) have been known to have cigars and malts nights!

Malts are like cigars. Your tastes can change but only for the better! Enjoy!

whisky77
10-08-2009, 02:08 PM

Agree with you on the Gold Label larry, but then again I am from Kilmarnock, where they make the stuff.

If you ever get the opportunity then go for the JW Blue label.Expensive stuff, but absolutely gorgeous to taste.It is like liquid silk, and some of the malts in that blend can be 60 years old.Nothing else like it IMO.

I have a bottle which I am saving fore something very special indeed.

Major_Tom
10-08-2009, 03:10 PM
Ah I step away from the forums for a month and suddenly a discussion on my favourite malt comes along.

I'm a great fan of the Macallan Sherry Cask but the Fine Oak is not so good. So for folks looking to tast this stay away from the silver boxes and go for the bronze! Its everything I'd want from a speyside malt - caramel, sweet muesli, burnt toffee and sometimes a touch of sherbert. The smell when you first open a full bottle is fantastic!

And the best thing is you dont need to trek to a special store to get it - I get mine from Tesco.

deltawhisky
13-08-2009, 07:34 PM
Sounds good, the Macallan. I'll try a drop of that next time I'm out.

Ramon
14-08-2009, 09:10 AM
The Aberlour whisky range is also something worth trying. The 10yr old is very accessible, but if you want to splash out a bit, try the 16 or 18yr old.

A few others worth trying are the Longmorn 16yr, Cardhu 12yr and the Oban 14yr, all very nice.

For something special, try the Mortlach 16yr old, very smooth.

A couple of useful sites about the Mortlach, http://www.awa.dk/whisky/mortlach/ and http://www.maltmadness.com/whisky/mortlach.html

daverave999
14-08-2009, 09:56 AM
I tried The Balvenie Doublewood 12 year old last night. Quite pleasant but then I don't really know what's good or not yet. Needed a drop of water as the alcohol was a bit overpowering.

whisky77
16-08-2009, 04:11 AM
I tried The Balvenie Doublewood 12 year old last night. Quite pleasant but then I don't really know what's good or not yet. Needed a drop of water as the alcohol was a bit overpowering.

Try the 15yo if you get the chance Dave, it`s in another league alltogether.:smile:

celsis
16-08-2009, 08:02 AM
Nearly had a domestic incident last night as my wife, out of the goodness of her heart, made me a whisky coffee but used my cask strength Ledaig to do it! There's a half bottle of Grouse for whisky coffee but she used the 59%, 80 a bottle stuff!

misterbulgarin
16-08-2009, 08:16 AM
nothin lika goood cooopa coffeehh

Simon-JG-hr
16-08-2009, 05:12 PM
Celsis, one presumes that you used the incident as a good opportunity to educate the fine lady?

Quite pleasant but then I don't really know what's good or not yet.Simple way of working it out Dave: what you like = good, what you don't like = not good... ;) :der:

Paulie
17-08-2009, 08:43 AM
Celsis,

That's just painful to read, was it nice though?

tupacboy
13-10-2009, 03:24 AM
i've been into scotch for 10 years now... macallan is my personal fav....

i'm in love with the 17 yr fine oak... just delicious...

12 yr is minimum for me... not a fan of the 10 or the cask strength...

thankfully they opened a bev mo near me... the 12 year is only $38.00 there...

i have 1 bottle of 25 yr and 1 bottle of 30 yr... 25 yr is waiting for my first child... 30 yr is for my honeymoon :)

Lascaux
13-10-2009, 08:50 AM

ardbeg is amongst the strongest ive tried of the islays (especially the luxurious ardbeg supernova - the peatiest whisky in the world)

but i find the 10 year has a lot of kick but not enough smoothness or complexity to make it work. laphroaig/lagavulin they all have the peat but the taste smoothes out. i find the ardbeg 10 just hits you then leaves.

id second the laproaig quarter cask, and highland park 18. and definitely the ardbeg supernova tho thats expensive stuff

the scotch malt whisky society is fantastic, my membership ran out a while ago but they have a beautiful quiet lounge in farringdon, members only with absolutely unique casks of whisky. not too expensive after you buy membership either...

tupacboy
13-10-2009, 06:05 PM
hmm... i wish i could buy casks of macallan... hahaha

michael69
13-10-2009, 06:36 PM

It's a beauty! one of my faves....
very peaty though, so beware (I love all styles of malt though)
The Ardbeg Uigeadail and Supernova are even better if smoky and powerful are your thing, and Bruichladdich Octomore 5yr is fantastic too!

For a lovely and completely different and much milder dram, I'm having a Redbreast 12yr at the moment; lovely lovely! and less than 25 a bottle too....