PDA

View Full Version : The Famous Grouse

jdawg
16-09-2009, 05:41 PM
My wife bought me a bottle on her layover in London. (She's a good girl, I tell ya!). I have yet to try it. It says that it is the best selling scotch in Scotland. I hope it is for other reasons besides its good price. Any opinions on it?

Simon-JG-hr
16-09-2009, 05:47 PM
For the price it's not bad. I probably wouldn't drink it on it's own - though it goes nicely with Canada Dry. :)

Drewmidorn
16-09-2009, 05:47 PM
I'm afraid I prefer the Bourbons. Bird for bird its gotta be Wild Turkey! lol

daverave999
16-09-2009, 05:58 PM
I've got a half bottle that I drink when I'm not going to be concentrating on the flavour. It's perfectly drinkable neat IMO and the price means I don't worry about 'just drinking it'.

misterbulgarin
16-09-2009, 05:59 PM
I don't mind it, it goes a bit funny with ice so I just have it neat

Lascaux
16-09-2009, 06:34 PM
far prefer spending that bit extra for laphroaig 10, caol ila 12 or highland park 12
although some places its nearly double for those :(

Stogiedog
16-09-2009, 06:39 PM
The Famous Grouse a firm favourite in military messes!!!!!!! Its cheap and reasonably fine with a mixer you can get better for a few dollars more.:tongue:

snooky
16-09-2009, 09:12 PM
The Famous Grouse , fine with a dash of water just finished a bottle and moved onto Glenfidich all nice with a stogie.:smoke:

Monkey
16-09-2009, 09:36 PM
I drunk a litre of this neat in one night once. Now, i'm no whiskey drinker, but i didn't feel it was a waste. Just very bland i thought, in comparison with some of the whiskeys my father drinks that i've occasionally had a sociable snifter of.

Safe to say i haven't, and won't be so stupid again though haha.

michael69
16-09-2009, 10:01 PM
Have to say, I really don't like it; but then again I am a bit of a whisky snob!

I don't really rate JW blue label for the price either!

(Gold label much better IMO)

jdawg
17-09-2009, 04:27 AM
Thanks for the opinions guys! It looks like the opinions varied on this one. It also looks like the wifey bought me the cheap stuff, but she tried. I will give it a try soon myself and see what I think. I am sure I will still enjoy it, as I am not one to waste any booze. :rock:

celsis
17-09-2009, 08:22 AM
It's not cheap as regards CHEAP! It's just a blended Scotch, no better and no worse than most blends out there. Best not compare Grouse with single malts. They're different animals.

For most people who don't drink malts, it's a good Scotch.

Ramon
17-09-2009, 12:13 PM
Have to say, I really don't like it; but then again I am a bit of a whisky snob!

I don't really rate JW blue label for the price either!

Not keen on it myself, I wouldn't buy it.

The JW Gold is lovely stuff, even better when you can get it in Gibraltar for 20 :biggrin1:

cbob
21-10-2009, 06:07 PM
It's not cheap as regards CHEAP! It's just a blended Scotch, no better and no worse than most blends out there. Best not compare Grouse with single malts. They're different animals.

For most people who don't drink malts, it's a good Scotch.

I totally agree. Stop with the "Highland Park 12 yo is better" comparisons already.

Fwiw the fine Scottish person who turned me on to The Famous Grouse as "what we drink at home" also pointed me towards Laphroaig, which was their "go-to" single malt and has become mine.
The frugal Scots know that if you are pouring a blended whisky over ice or mixing it with water, The Grouse, Dewars, Cutty or JW Blue Label all taste pretty much the same.
If you are "a younger person" :rolleyes: and mixing any kind of scotch with Cola
:eek: ...
well you probably are not reading this anyway.

Paulie
21-10-2009, 07:50 PM
I would say it is one of the most popular blends available. It isn't that bad but as cbob says, it's not fair to compare it to a single malt.

Not a special occasion whisky but ok as an everyday drink.

larrysputnik
21-10-2009, 08:26 PM

I agree with you on the Gold Label. It pairs well with Cohiba VIs.

jimmy_g32
21-10-2009, 10:53 PM
I would guess that, at home, scotch is closer to my "go to" drink than it is for most people. For what it's worth (which is hugely taste dependent), if you live in the UK and are buying at RRP, I think Famous Grouse is a bloody good option.

In good offers there are similarly priced single malts, but, as stated, they are different beasts. As a a run-of-the-mill blended whisky, I don't think you can beat it.

celsis
22-10-2009, 11:02 AM
I love single malts, Ardbeg being being my favourite, but if I'm smoking alone, there is nothing like SLRa with a glass of Armagnac. It's a great pairing....

djdrever
18-12-2009, 02:27 PM
I think Famous Grouse is a great whisky to drink in the pub, it's easy drinking (with water, of course) not too expensive and it weighs in over other popular (and unpopular) blends any day of the week.

I believe TFG is a blend of mainly Highland Park and Macallan, but I could be wrong - if that's accurate, then I think most would agree that those are two good drinking 10/12 YO malts, and a blend of those should produce a nice every day whisky - which, in my opinion, it does.

There's a thread covering Black Grouse which is also nice, but there's also a TFG single malt, that I may have tried at one stage but can't quite remember:smile:

I'd rather have a good TFG with a bit of water, than a bad single malt. IYKWIM.

I've read some comments about Laphroaig being a go-to whisky in Scotland - not sure if that's the case, it's strong taste and sometimes daft pricing by bars can put a lot of people off - it's certainly not one of my favourites, but those that like it, REALLY like it. I bought my G/F a bottle of single cask Laphroaig for xmas last year, it didn't even last until New Year! Bonus was 1 square foot of land on Islay held in her name 'forever' - they'll lend you welly boots and a map to locate it if you visit apparently.

djd

satch
18-12-2009, 05:27 PM
TFG is OK but for the same money I'd go for Grants. My good lady works at Sainsburys. She got a 1 lt bottle for 12 with 15% off aswell. Near enough a tenner for a litre of decent scotch. Huzzah!

Gordonbcb
14-01-2010, 10:03 AM
Of all the blends I enjoy a Grouse the most but I have whisky snob friends who would (rather harshly) describe it as a cooking whisky.

Try it in a Rusty Nail (2 parts Grouse to 1 part Drambuie) over ice.