PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me a Cognac...

ChrisMClark
28-10-2009, 01:20 PM
I'm after a Cognac to enjoy now and then, and of course with a cigar. I'm looking to spend up to £50, but no more if I can help it. I've found a few that look lovely, in particular the Hine VSOP.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

misterbulgarin
28-10-2009, 01:20 PM
HENNESSY VS

mmmmmmm

ChrisMClark
28-10-2009, 01:22 PM
Another I've seen, and at a very reasonable price for a name such as Hennessy. It's on my shortlist :)

And what a quick response!

senor_robusto
28-10-2009, 01:44 PM
hello chris,
cognac is probably my favourite spirit (along with irish whisky, gin and havana club rum), i drink it regularly! i'm not sure if you're new to the stuff, so forgive me in advance!

Hennessy, Courvoisier, Rémy Martin, Martell are the brands to look out for! the VS in all these ranges start from around £20 for a 70cl bottle to around £30 for 1L! the VSOP in all these ranges is typically around £30 for a 70cl bottle to £40 for a litre! the XO ranges tend to be higher than your £50 bracket and i wouldn't recommend these if you're just starting off. simply because i think it's a waste of money if you're not familiar with the taste of cognac (it's definitely nice, but not a million miles away from the £30 bottles.........oh the controversy! lol)!

there are two favourites that i would tend to buy regularly, when my tescos has it in stock!
hennessy fine de cognac and remy martin couer de cognac, both around £35 for a 70cl bottle and perfect for relaxing with or pairing with a nice cigar!

hope this helps!!!!

alex

ChrisMClark
28-10-2009, 01:48 PM
Thanks Alex. I'm definately after a VSOP, forgive me, I should have mentioned in my OP. Hine stands out to me, I like a sweet Cognac, and by all accounts I've read, the Hine Rare VSOP (http://www.thedrinkshop.com/products/nlpdetail.php?prodid=253) is lovely, and at around the £40 for 70cl, I don't think that's bad at all. The Remy Martin you mentioned there, the Coeur de Cognac, is also a bottle that's caught my eye.

celsis
28-10-2009, 02:09 PM
Don't just settle for cognac. Some of the Armagnacs are absolutely delicious and tend to be chateau bottled....

ChrisMClark
28-10-2009, 02:11 PM
Now there's a thought...

...this forum is going to cost me a fortune :lol:

daverave999
28-10-2009, 02:18 PM
...this forum is going to cost me a fortune :lol:
Now is probably the BEST time to realise that...

ChrisMClark
28-10-2009, 02:20 PM
The photography forum I'm on already costs me enough! However...I don't mind paying for quality, and anything that aids relaxation is worth it...that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

Lee Nub
28-10-2009, 02:28 PM
Well said, i will point that exact statement to my wife when she looks at my cigar bills :smoke:

Ramon
28-10-2009, 03:17 PM
As already mentioned, the Remy Martin Couer de Cognac is good, as is the Remy Martin VSOP Fine Champagne Cognac. Also worth trying is Camus VSOP, very nice.

cohibaIV
28-10-2009, 03:52 PM
As already mentioned, the Remy Martin Couer de Cognac is good, as is the Remy Martin VSOP Fine Champagne Cognac. Also worth trying is Camus VSOP, very nice.

I do love a large glass of remy martin VSOP.

michael69
28-10-2009, 06:54 PM
Here are my recommendations (based on what I have, or have sampled)

Paul Beau VSOP c.£38 (or even better, the Vielle Reserve version about £10 more; well worth it!)

Drouet et Fils VSOP c.£37 (or better yet, the XO Cuvee Ulysse for about £60ish)

a wee bit more than your budget (again XO not VSOP) but very good value in my opinion are:

Croizet XO at just over £50 I think.

Again more than your budget but very very good is the A. de Fussigny Extra Cognac which I got from whiskey exchange for £70 (it was on offer though, so it may be at full price now.....)

michael69
28-10-2009, 07:50 PM
Ok, you got me going now!

If you ever want to go up a level (or two!), then I can seriously recommend the......

Tesseron XO Perfection

Chateau Fontpinot XO Grande Champagne (domaine Frapin), this is a unique estate bottled cognac, the only one within the entire Grande Champagne (Premier Grand Cru) area and is beautiful, believe me!

both these are north of £100 (you may find the Fontpinot for less), but extremely good!

My bottle for "special occasions only" is the Raymond Ragnaud Tres Vielle; this is truly exceptional! (my dad used to be the UK sole importer of this stuff, I don't know who does that now)

Ramon
28-10-2009, 10:29 PM
Chateau Fontpinot XO Grande Champagne (domaine Frapin), this is a unique estate bottled cognac, the only one within the entire Grande Champagne (Premier Grand Cru) area and is beautiful, believe me!

both these are north of £100 (you may find the Fontpinot for less), but extremely good!

Some good deals on that here (http://www.farehamwinecellar.co.uk/0/9b1dd405636e8da4802572230049098e.html) and here (http://www.brandyclub.co.uk/acatalog/Cognac.html#a117)

michael69
28-10-2009, 11:06 PM
Good links Ramon!

Ramon
28-10-2009, 11:42 PM
I forgot to mention one that's slightly above your budget, Hine Cigar Reserve cognac. I haven't tried it myself, but I'm sure someone here will have and can give us an idea of what it's like.

Nuno Sa
28-10-2009, 11:51 PM
Great topic mates, gonna grab me some of this recommended bottles.

ChrisMClark
29-10-2009, 08:07 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions, and sorry for the late reply. Just got back from an overnighter in Northern Ireland!

ChrisMClark
30-10-2009, 05:27 PM
Well I bought a cheap bottle of Courvoisier VSOP today for a party I'm going to tonight, I've had it before...good enough to share, not good enough to keep to yourself though! :lol:

Lascaux
30-10-2009, 09:40 PM
im really wanting to get into cognac, shall head to vintage house in soho soon
picked up a bottle of martell VSOP to taste tonight. definitely going to look into michaels suggestions!

whisky77
01-11-2009, 11:02 AM
Don't just settle for cognac. Some of the Armagnacs are absolutely delicious and tend to be chateau bottled....

Agree with Celsis on this one.Best bet is to find a well stocked bar with a good selection of Armagnacs and try a few out for comparison before buying.:smoke:

ChrisMClark
02-11-2009, 08:42 AM
What's the difference on the palate between a Cognac and an Armagnac? The price difference seems favourable! :lol:

Nuno Sa
02-11-2009, 01:06 PM
I like Cognac i have been in the region also, but never and any Armagnac.

El Catador
11-11-2009, 11:43 AM
Hi Chris and great question (I’m lovin this thread! – some superb info).

I noticed you mention a preference for sweeter Cognacs so I thought I’d mention the Camus brand as being worth a look, particularly the ‘Elegance’ range.

With Christmas rearing it’s ugly head in the not too distant future, it might be a good time to drop a few ‘subtle’ hints to ones ‘nearest and dearest’ about what you’d like Santa to bring (I’ve found post-it notes left dotted around the house tend to pay dividends). That being the case, I can thoroughly recommend the Hine Antique XO (rather eye-wateringly expensive I’m afraid, but an art form made manifest).

Michael69, I ‘doff my cap’ and humbly bow before your knowledge and good taste.
Having just looked up the Drouet et Fils XO ‘Cuvee Ulysse’ you mention, I can’t wait to get my hands on a snifter or two of it, and will be doing the aforementioned with the post-its notes with regard to hopefully finding a bottle under the tree. Sadly the Raymond Ragnaud will have to wait until I: a) win the lottery, or b) assume my rightful role as ruler of the planet. For city banker types, it’s available through ‘The Whisky Exchange’ at £345 a pop!

P.S. I can absolutely endorse Michaels recommended Fontpinot XO Grande Champagne, one of my all time favourites (In fact, despite the sun not quite being over the yardarm, I'm pouring myself a glass as I write.. ahh bless those caramelised fruits!).

El Catador
11-11-2009, 11:50 AM
Just a quick addition, with regard to the question on Armagnacs, I thought I’d throw in a mention of the Comte de Lauvia range, as they are fairly widely available and an excellent place to start out. Sainsbury’s used to sell their 12 year old XO for about £20, fabulous value.

As a rule of thumb, I find they’re typically more pungent and aromatic than your average Cognac, though slightly less smooth, so (IMHO) better suited to counterpoint a more full bodied smoke. I recently treated myself to a glass of Delford Freres 1966 (special occasion) to accompany a well aged Cuban, bliss!

Looking forward to hearing of others. Keep 'em coming!

Ramon
11-11-2009, 02:43 PM
I noticed you mention a preference for sweeter Cognacs so I thought I’d mention the Camus brand as being worth a look.

Already mentioned.

El Catador
11-11-2009, 04:06 PM
Already mentioned.

Opps, my apologies Ramon. It's either my eyesight or my memory that's going ..I'm starting to worry its both. :der:

michael69
11-11-2009, 07:37 PM
Michael69, I ‘doff my cap’ and humbly bow before your knowledge and good taste.
Having just looked up the Drouet et Fils XO ‘Cuvee Ulysse’ you mention, I can’t wait to get my hands on a snifter or two of it, and will be doing the aforementioned with the post-its notes with regard to hopefully finding a bottle under the tree. Sadly the Raymond Ragnaud will have to wait until I: a) win the lottery, or b) assume my rightful role as ruler of the planet. For city banker types, it’s available through ‘The Whisky Exchange’ at £345 a pop!

P.S. I can absolutely endorse Michaels recommended Fontpinot XO Grande Champagne, one of my all time favourites (In fact, despite the sun not quite being over the yardarm, I'm pouring myself a glass as I write.. ahh bless those caramelised fruits!).

Thanks Catador......

I'm definitely into cognacs/armagnacs and particularly whiskies....

My dad has 3 very very rare bottles of Raymond Ragnaud which he saved from the days whem he was the UK importer....

It's my (and my brother's/sister's!) inheritance!

I will always go for single-estate as I said before; so much more for the money in my opinion.

As far as whisk(e)y goes, I'm on the hunt for a 2003 George T Stagg bourbon, and a 1990 cask of Yamazaki if anyone happens to have any kicking around!

pirald
17-11-2009, 10:59 AM
Remy Martin XSOP Premier Cru is my cognac of choice. Smoothest around :o)

Rocco
26-11-2009, 03:14 AM
had a small production cognac, Michel Forgeron . I enjoyed as much as an XO. About half the price of an XO, but just as smooth. I recommend it highly.:smile:

pch050
15-12-2009, 02:25 PM
Any body has something to say about HINE cigar reserve??

I can not resisit some drinks with a name of cigar and reserva on it!!
Comments?

Jono
19-12-2009, 11:59 PM
Bought a bottle of Domaine de Jacquiot XO in a French supermarket earlier this year which I can highly recommend, tho' not sure about it's availability over here. Cost less than £30 as well which was a bargain.
Incredibly creamy aftertaste.
Head Sommelier at the Fat Duck in Bray gave it 18.5 out of 20, so it must be good.:rolleyes:

www.jacquiot.com/domaine-jacquiot.html

michael69
20-12-2009, 09:54 AM
Sadly the Raymond Ragnaud will have to wait until I: a) win the lottery, or b) assume my rightful role as ruler of the planet. For city banker types, it’s available through ‘The Whisky Exchange’ at £345 a pop!

Couple of weeks ago, I got my bottle of Raymond Ragnaud Heritage.....
my "inheritance"!

looking forward to this at some point in the future.

Ramon
23-12-2009, 11:26 PM
I got a nice deal in Asda recently, Remy Martin VSOP, £14 a bottle. So I got two bottles, naturally :biggrin1:

pch050
04-01-2010, 02:25 PM
Just got a HINE cognac exclusively for Nicolas in Paris for 24 euro, hope this is a good stuff!!

whisky77
05-01-2010, 09:12 AM
I got a nice deal in Asda recently, Remy Martin VSOP, £14 a bottle. So I got two bottles, naturally :biggrin1:

I missed this one Ramon.:confused:

Remy is one of my faves as well.:mad:

C-Harley
20-01-2010, 12:02 AM
I'd just like to say ' Thank-you ' to Deano, my normal is to opt for a glass of Delamain - Pale and Dry XO after a few vino's and a gar, but after reading a few of his/your posts about Havan Club Rum I was shopping in my normal outlet the other day and saw some 'Havana Club Rum Anejo 7 Anos' and remembered the name, so I bought a bottle (£23) very nice, very nice indeed. Give it a try if your a cognac drinker

eggopp
27-01-2010, 10:34 PM
I like a cognac called Asbach Uralt,i enjoy it with a Partagas P No2, its cheap to for a 5* brandy at about £18 a bottle (litre) Asbach also has additional properties to, dont know what but my partners not complaining :p

jepe
28-01-2010, 07:26 AM
Remy Martin XO is one of the best.

Buts its an expenssive one

rollzst
11-02-2010, 09:41 PM
I have my eyes on a bottle of Richard hennesey, not cheap but I recently had a glass at a local restaurant while out celebrating and it is simply splendid! Can't be beaten!

eggopp
11-02-2010, 09:45 PM
Blimey, thats like £25 for a 'small' bottle.. quality stuff tho, funny how brandy is the topic of choice, ive got a glass of Asbach Uralt as i sit here, its got to be my fav brandy/cognac with many fond 'drunken' memories of days long gone!! :biggrin1:

patrickspark
15-02-2010, 12:33 PM
cognac is a little like cigars - i have my everyday tipple after dinner which is a hennessy vs but on special occasions or when i want to treat myself i'll go for a paradis or a richard.

Lee Nub
15-02-2010, 02:04 PM
Gulp :eek:

http://www.drinksdirect.co.uk/acatalog/Richard_Hennessy.html

El Catador
15-02-2010, 02:18 PM
Gulp :eek:

http://www.drinksdirect.co.uk/acatalog/Richard_Hennessy.html

http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/coffeescreen.gif . . Hey . . at least the vat is 'included'! http://smiley.onegreatguy.net/cheers.gif

patrickspark
15-02-2010, 03:38 PM
yep - does no come cheap, my kids gave me a bottle of richard for my 50th a couple of years ago and i have to make it last until the grim reaper calls my number !

El Catador
15-02-2010, 03:42 PM
yep - does no come cheap, my kids gave me a bottle of richard for my 50th a couple of years ago and i have to make it last until the grim reaper calls my number !

Should I ever be fortunate enough to posses a bottle, I'm taking it with me!! http://smiley.onegreatguy.net/drink.gif http://smiley.onegreatguy.net/dead.gif

patrickspark
22-02-2010, 12:52 PM
i'll leave whatevers left in the bottle after my demise to you in my l w & t el catador !