PDA

View Full Version : How to declare and prepay excise duty on cigars ordered from abroad

Lascaux
17-03-2010, 04:08 PM
So there is a box of cigars I want to buy from abroad, and I want to declare them and pay excise so they won't get destroyed by the good folk at UK borders agency...

But HMRC don't make it easy at all do they??
I'm greeted with a list of hundreds of forms and haven't glot a clue which one to fill in, or how to do it, or how the whole process works?

Does anyone have any experience on this and can offer any help on the process?

Pantomimehorse
17-03-2010, 04:24 PM
you feeling ok mate? :der: :41:

Lascaux
17-03-2010, 04:43 PM
I just REALLY want this box!!!

So I called them up and after ages of umming and ahhing, they said a C23 form should do, its like a bigger version of the C22 customs declaration you find at post offices. i just want to make sure they tax the proper weight of the cigars and not the entire package. also hope there isnt some other secret form you have to fill out for tobacco goods or anything...

rokkitsci
17-03-2010, 04:45 PM
What is this mystery box, monsewer?

P'raps I could be of assistance if I knew WTF we were talkin' 'bout here.

So there is a box of cigars I want to buy from abroad,

Lascaux
17-03-2010, 04:47 PM
the edmundo dantes el conde! the lovely 109s with the nipple cap that begs to be sucked:biggrin1:

monkey66
17-03-2010, 06:01 PM
let us know how you get along with the process lasc.

Rocco
17-03-2010, 07:01 PM
ask your vendor to fill out the customs declaration as "cigars" with the estimated value. Maybe its enough to avoid being over taxed. In Canada we can contest the customs charges after we paid for them, and usually it works out for the person who received the goods. Is that an option in the UK? If so, I say roll the dice my friend.
Good luck Lascaux

cj121
17-03-2010, 09:00 PM
Rocco, our customs charge tobacco imports by the weight when it comes to cigars unfortunately.:(

Lasc, goodluck with navigating the paperwork and let us know how you get on?:smile:

daverave999
18-03-2010, 09:13 AM
Very interested how this turns out!

Deano
18-03-2010, 09:45 AM
Would be nice to know where to get the forms etc from?

Seriesteve
18-03-2010, 10:30 AM
Missing link Doh

Lascaux
22-03-2010, 10:39 AM
Christ, they really don't make it freekin easy do they...

still not sure but looks like all you need is a CN23 (ftp://ftp.royalmail.com/Downloads/public/ctf/rm/CN23.pdf) form for products over 270. Or a bog standard CN22 form (as you fill out for any package leaving the EU) for products under 270.

I'm guessing most countries have their own customs declaration forms but Mexican registered post doesn't seem to :849: so I'll be using the CN23 form.

Lots of information on Customs Cuty for tobacco.

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageExcise_ShowContent&id=HMCE_CL_000268&propertyType=document

It was also suggested to me that I may need to clear it with the VAT office as well but I can't find anywhere online confirming it.
I was unsure if the box needed to have a fiscal mark on it too, but upon reading the above link, cigars for personal consumption do not need the fiscal mark.

anyways, ill put the links up on the first post of this page for anyone else interested in the procedure...

Habana-Habanos
22-03-2010, 09:23 PM
Wow they don't make it easy at all...

tippexx
23-03-2010, 08:01 AM
[QUOTE=cj121;74678]Rocco, our customs charge tobacco imports by the weight when it comes to cigars unfortunately.:(

'Cept they don't. They weigh the lot packaging included.

Lascaux
23-03-2010, 08:49 AM
Yeah, I'm making sure the net weight is stated clearly in bold so they can't pull that little stunt,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gt3911
23-03-2010, 11:40 AM
You do right. Let us know if all goes smoothly. My first cigar import was nailed with tax exceeding the value of the smokes by a huge margin, at the time I didn't think to question it, or understand it.

Once it was to late to contest the charges I realised it was based on weight only, and they had clearly weighed the package, I had cigar accessories in the box, including a Csonka Deodorizer which was a few times heavier than the sticks! ooops!

Correct me if I'm wrong, you've clearly done your home work, Do we have an insentive to import higher value sticks based upon these rules? IE;
Box 1 weights X grams and costs $150 - Tax on X weight is $50
Box 2 also weighs X grams but costs $250 - Tax on the same weight remains at $50

Do we get taxed also on the item value based up standard import rules? With the Additional tax being measure in weight - or is the entire tax based only on weight? Not like its to hard for the item to be undervalued if that is the case...

Lascaux
23-03-2010, 12:18 PM
From what I understand ON TOP of the Tobacco excise duty, you pay customs duty on the price of the item... but nowhere do they say how much or how to work out what customs duty will be. You (or the seller) write on the form how much the item costs ;) . They also say the seller puts an invoice for the item inside the package, but this isn't compulsory as far as I can see.

There is also 8 charge by the post office for handling the duty - if its calculated that you have to pay anything to customs, you then have to pay 8 on top.

EugeneSax
23-03-2010, 12:36 PM
...and then don't you also have to pay VAT on the total value including tobacco duty & import duty?

Lascaux
23-03-2010, 12:57 PM
oh yes, forgot that too :rolleyes:

3. Charges

3.1 How are import charges calculated?

Charges are calculated by Customs staff at the postal depots where the packages are received. However, in some cases special arrangements are in place for goods purchased on the internet (see paragraph 3.4 below).
Value Added Tax (VAT) - Import VAT is charged at the same rate that applies to similar goods sold in the UK and applies to commercial goods over 18 in value, and on gifts that are over 40 in value. The value of the goods for import VAT is based on the:

basic value of goods, plus
postage, packing and insurance, plus
any import (Customs or Excise) duties charged

Customs duty - Customs duty becomes payable if the goods are over 135 in value but is waived if the amount calculated is less than 9. Customs duty is usually charged as a percentage of the value of the goods.
The amount of customs duty charged will depend on the type of goods imported and their value stated on the customs declaration CN22/CN23 (converted using the rates of exchange for the month of importation as shown on our website).
The percentage varies depending on the type of goods and their country of origin. Duty is charged on the price paid for the goods including any local sales taxes plus postage, packing and insurance costs. However, the cost of postage is excluded from the calculation for customs duty on gifts except where the sender has used the Express Mail Service (EMS) as opposed to a standard mail service.
Where the value of gifts is below 630 per consignment a flat rate of duty of 2.5 per cent will be applied, but only if it is to your advantage.
Excise duty - this is charged on alcohol and tobacco products and is additional to customs duty. The excise duty on alcohol products such as wines and spirits depends on the alcohol content and volume. In the case of wine and cider whether they are sparkling or still. Duty on cigarettes is based on a percentage of the recommended retail selling price plus a flat rate amount per 1,000 cigarettes. On other tobacco products, for example, cigars or hand rolling tobacco, excise duty is charged at a flat rate per kilogram.

Lascaux
23-03-2010, 01:46 PM
The average robusto weighs in at 12g
A box of 25 robustos comes to: 300g

Excise Duty on Cigars: 173.13 per kilogram;

You would pay excise duty of 51.94

Your box of robustos are Partagas D4 which cost $157.36 or 104.98

They then charge Customs Duty on the 104.98, which is a variable rate you can find from the Customs Tariff (though you have to pay to have access to the Tariff) I'm taking this to be about 2.5%:

"Where the value of gifts is below 290 per consignment, a flat rate of duty of 2.5 per cent will be applied - but only if it is to your advantage. With effect from 1 December 2008, customs duty will not be applied on goods with a value less than 105."

Being below 105 there would be no customs duty on this box of D4s

So! You would be paying 17.5% VAT on 156.92... = 184.38
plus 8 post office handling fee

Grand total = 192.38
Overall you payed 87.40 to customs.

Does that sound about rightfrom people's experience? :rolleyes:

gt3911
23-03-2010, 02:08 PM
Lovely - From previous imports and information I've gained to be as I'd expect unfortunately, all in all.... 83% tax :(

You need to make yourself some friends in the exporting country! :cowboyic9:

How does the process of calculating this before hand work? I seem to get a random bunch of couriers when importing once the item hits the UK, parcel force are particularly unkind with their "handling / clearance fee's" If parcel force pickup your item and you get that nice letter to say fee's are due to be paid before you can get the item, and you've already pre paid... Are you given some form of unique number you can quote to the courier so they can say ah yes, righto, we'll get it moving along?

macker89
23-03-2010, 02:25 PM
I recently received a 25 box of HdM Epi 2's from abroad for roughly 90 with contents and value correctly marked on the box. I can't remember the cost breakdown but I know the total bill for customs and admin etc. was 65.

As for prepaying the customs charge to avoid having them seized, as far as I'm aware, as long as the package you receive is correctly labelled there is no reason for it to be seized and the appropriate agencies can just apply the relevant charges. If the customs declaration on a package misrepresents its contents in any way then that is grounds for a seizure.

Good luck with the forms though...I'm watching with interest :smile:

Lascaux
23-03-2010, 02:38 PM
that sounds right mate,

cigars can only be seized and destroyed if the customs slip on them doesnt declare them as cigars or if there is no slip on them.

nowhere have I seen the option for the sender to calculate taxes... or for the duty to be prepaid. i dont think the option is there. It just means take extra caution making sure the customs office see the NET weight of the tobacco only, and not charge an excess in excise duty!

daverave999
23-03-2010, 02:52 PM
It would be helpful if Habanos SA actually printed the net weight on themselves.

tippexx
23-03-2010, 03:04 PM
It would be helpful if Habanos SA actually printed the net weight on themselves.

Hand made item Dave. Weight would vary by a few grams from box to box of the same brand same cigar.

moppy
23-03-2010, 03:07 PM
Hand made item Dave. Weight would vary by a few grams from box to box of the same brand same cigar.

I thought part of the quality control of cigars were that that a bunch of 25 cigars or whatever had to weigh the same (within a few grams or whatever) as the next 25 of the same cigars?

I saw a video with something about this, will find it and post it.

daverave999
23-03-2010, 03:12 PM
Yet they all cost the same price from the tobacconists here!

Anyone in the trade know how it works? Is there a list of agreed average weights that is used to calculate duty in the UK?

[EDIT] If so, do HMRC work from this list? If not, why not? Would be quicker and easier than manually weighing them I suspect.

moppy
23-03-2010, 03:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzexJVnrflA

About 7:40 in, he mentions that 50 of the same cigars have to weigh a certain amount for reasons of quality control.

Lascaux
10-04-2010, 09:33 AM
ok...

Customs form was filled out,

500g of tobacco weighed... so excise should have been about 86.

Got my notice to pay through today:

Excise Duty: 73.14
V.A.T: 18.72
Parcelforce clearance fee: 13.50

Total: 105.36

For 25 109 size cigars that isn't too bad I thought. Don't know how they came to 73 on excise... but im not complaining :)

One annoyance is the 13.50 handling fee... when nowhere on HMRC does it give this figure.
They just seem to charge what they want. Worked ok in this case, but for anyone else doing the same... check that the weight of the cigars is correct and that the excise duty is reflective of this

BIG thanks to mercer cigars of merida for helping me get this box through legitimately and safely! I fully recommend mercer cigars. Fantastic service and communications

gt3911
10-04-2010, 01:09 PM
Cool, glad it all worked out.

I hate Parcelforce, I import fairly often, it really irks me when I need to pay the 13.50 clearance fee on 4 duty. They seem to have a really tidy contract in which they pick up what feels like 90% of items coming in, plus it tends to add at least another 2 days onto your package arriving. Once upon a time I'd often have a knock at the door with someone who would take the cash for the duty owed, with no extra trimmings.

Although, how you're pleased with paying 105 ontop I'll never understand! That'd leave an unpleasant sting for me.

Lascaux
10-04-2010, 01:47 PM
Beats a letter saying up yours they've been destroyed

gt3911
10-04-2010, 07:11 PM
Yeh, that's to nice of a haul to loose! I'm just tight!

I guess the value wasn't accurately declared!

Enjoy :) :hail:

Burner
10-04-2010, 08:19 PM
The Parcelforce charge is completely unjustified it should be no more than 4.00 on any transaction. Yet there is no way to challenge it - It's simply a tax on import parcels they receive.

Reuben
14-05-2010, 01:27 PM
Just wondering how you escaped the 26% customs duty on the cigars. Did you buy from a retailer and send it to yourself?

DeadBase
14-05-2010, 01:43 PM
Cool, glad it all worked out.

I hate Parcelforce, I import fairly often, it really irks me when I need to pay the 13.50 clearance fee on 4 duty. They seem to have a really tidy contract in which they pick up what feels like 90% of items coming in, plus it tends to add at least another 2 days onto your package arriving. Once upon a time I'd often have a knock at the door with someone who would take the cash for the duty owed, with no extra trimmings.

Although, how you're pleased with paying 105 ontop I'll never understand! That'd leave an unpleasant sting for me.

The Parcelforce charge is completely unjustified it should be no more than 4.00 on any transaction. Yet there is no way to challenge it - It's simply a tax on import parcels they receive.

Parcelforce are animals. I'm still trying to get a package from them from before Christmas. They wanted to charge me 19 worth of taxes plus their handling fee on a package of 11 worth of soap!!

They seem to have carte blanche to do whatever they want with your parcels and charge you for the pleasure. You have 10 days to respond but if you wish to contest they can take 6 months (and counting) with their thumbs up their arses.

If I was as incompetent at my job I wouldn't expect to be able to turn around to clients and say "There's an extra charge of 122% of the original work due to me not knowing my arse from my elbow. Ta"

tippexx
14-05-2010, 02:35 PM
[QUOTE=daverave999;76088]

Is there a list of agreed average weights that is used to calculate duty in the UK?

Doubt there's an agreed list Dave.

But this may be useful for anyone needing to know.

http://ndp.govt.nz/moh.nsf/pagescm/7573/$File/havana-house-08.pdf

StuBoyUK2010
03-08-2010, 10:27 PM
In response to this message you can keep the goods and pay the duty for the weight of the box, or you could decline the goods as rejected import and let customs burn them.. Should you choose to reclaim duty, u need to complete a H&E 1179 form NOT A C285 form..

I got caught up in this mess, nothing explained before, and I was footed with a 400 GBP invoice and had to pay regardless of the goods being returned to sender. HMRC did not believe my case, and my appeal was crushed for a refund of 400 pounds. I appealed again, only to be declined in a tribunal court. So I wish you ever success, but word of warning, don't buy overseas, its too costy.. at 400% the price of the goods in DUTY!

So there is a box of cigars I want to buy from abroad, and I want to declare them and pay excise so they won't get destroyed by the good folk at UK borders agency...

But HMRC don't make it easy at all do they??
I'm greeted with a list of hundreds of forms and haven't glot a clue which one to fill in, or how to do it, or how the whole process works?

Does anyone have any experience on this and can offer any help on the process?

monkey66
04-08-2010, 07:19 AM
Interesting post Stu, why don't you put up an introduction on newbie greets.

StuBoyUK2010
04-08-2010, 08:23 PM
Interesting post Stu, why don't you put up an introduction on newbie greets.

How do i go about that. I'm new

cj121
04-08-2010, 08:45 PM
How do i go about that. I'm new

Hey Stu, if youpop onto the main forum page, where all the various areas are, scroll down and you'll see a section named, curiously enough "Newbie Greets":)

Pop along and get some:thumb:

cohibaIV
04-08-2010, 08:50 PM
Hey Stu, if youpop onto the main forum page, where all the various areas are, scroll down and you'll see a section named, curiously enough "Newbie Greets":)

Pop along and get some:thumb:

How would you know???:der:

cj121
04-08-2010, 09:01 PM
How would you know???:der:

"Welcome to my weird world friends, and be expected to be cut n pasted to as you'd cut n paste unto others!"

:flute:

Or something like that isn't it?:biggrin1:

Ha ha.

Has your PM broke?

Stevieboy
04-08-2010, 10:32 PM
"Welcome to my weird world friends, and be expected to be cut n pasted to as you'd cut n paste unto others!"

Ha ha. He's burned you there CIV LOL

cohibaIV
04-08-2010, 10:37 PM

:flute:

Or something like that isn't it?:biggrin1:

Ha ha.

Has your PM broke?

HA HA HA What ever,,,,

Re PM, no mate. will ring you for chat...:biggrin1:

cohibaIV
04-08-2010, 10:38 PM
Ha ha. He's burned you there CIV LOL

:hmmmm:

cj121
04-08-2010, 10:40 PM
HA HA HA What ever,,,,

Re PM, no mate. will ring you for chat...:biggrin1:

Kule:thumb:

Pleevy
01-07-2011, 11:12 AM
I received a lovely letter from Parcel Force today. 10 RyJ 1987 (Dominican) Churchills that i ordered about a month ago have a duty of 170 to be paid. This was a massive shock considering i was only expecting a charge of around 35, from what i worked out from the gov info site i used. The letter states that if payment is not made within 20 days that it will be returned to sender, i called a checked and found that in the event the item is returned, all charges will dissapear right back up from where customs pulled it out of the air.
Peter

ps - I hope this post hasn't broken any rules

EDIT: Just seen the sticky with regards to tax evasion. Pretty certain that being that the item is returned and i received no goods, that the tax hasn't been evaded. Rather i just have nothing to smoke.

Lascaux
12-07-2011, 11:54 AM
Thats a crazy amount. I believe you pay VAT on the declared price of the cigars too, so that may affect. Also you have to declare the net weight of the cigars as often customs will just weigh the whole box and charge a lot more because of this.

Simon-JG-hr
12-07-2011, 12:09 PM
Excellent tip their Lascaux. I believe EugeneSax had an issue whereby the carrier had weighed the whole package to determine customs liability. It's always worth checking how they have calculated the tax. Duty on 10 Churchill's should be around 50 (working on average-ish weights), plus say another 30-40 in VAT. Either way, you should have received a bill which was sub-100 (unless my maths is far worse than it used to be...) Most likely a Parcel Force cock-up (too lazy to do their job properly).

Pleevy
12-07-2011, 03:59 PM
I decided it really wasn't worth the hassle and wrote it off as a loss. I have friends in different countries that like sending gifts :)

Eddie
12-07-2011, 04:32 PM
Excellent tip their Lascaux. I believe EugeneSax had an issue whereby the carrier had weighed the whole package to determine customs liability. It's always worth checking how they have calculated the tax. Duty on 10 Churchill's should be around 50 (working on average-ish weights), plus say another 30-40 in VAT. Either way, you should have received a bill which was sub-100 (unless my maths is far worse than it used to be...) Most likely a Parcel Force cock-up (too lazy to do their job properly).

Don't forget the parcel farce admin charge of 13 (IIRC)

danialmartin7778
24-07-2012, 05:37 AM
Don't worry, It is not big matter. Dealer will be responsible for all activities.

peanutpete
24-07-2012, 08:16 PM
Don't worry, It is not big matter. Dealer will be responsible for all activities.

this is wrong information, its up to you to declare any tax due if you import from abroad

Deano
25-07-2012, 12:19 PM
He seems to have ignored the other 6 pages. Deary me.

modem7
21-10-2012, 09:19 PM
Poop. Just got stung for 63 (inc the 8 from royal fail). Bleh.

Wish I had read the thread before ordering!

Does anyone know the procedure of contesting? (Or more to the point, somewhere that has general cigar weights?)

BoneyBlade
21-05-2013, 07:08 PM
I Just asked a website in USA to tell me the cost of shipping and weight of cigars on $86 (57) order of 20 robusto cigars in a box.
They said cost of shipping is $60 (40) and the weight is 2 lb which is about 900 grams (which is just stupid weight for 20 cigars, she is definitely doing something wrong and not feeling our need for the exact net weight of the cigars).
Excise duty these days is about 220 on a Kg of cigars so excise duty alone on 900 grams will be about 200. No custom duty because cost + shipping is less then 135.
So in total 57 + 40 = 97 + 200 = 297 + 60 (VAT at 20% on 297) = 357 + 13 (handling fee) = 370
Do the maths, compare 57 to 370 and say it with me.... fuck the world!! :der:

Edit by Deano: removed URL.

Deano
21-05-2013, 07:47 PM
This is life in the uk I'm afraid.

Please don't post links to non Uk sources.

mrcigar
02-06-2013, 09:59 AM
Just read through this thread and get the distinct impression that the UK is whole heartedly bent on extracting out its countrymen as much money as possible. The word 'extortion' comes to mind.
Surely things can be made simpler as opposed to HMCE lurking in the shadows to rob and plunder those who fail to cover every base. They are like the speed cameras behind trees, positioned for the purposes of catching out the unwary motorist.
It's the hidden costs that make things even more frustrating, as well as the lack of immediately available information that should be on the HMCE site.
It all raises the question - is it worth importing and is there really much of a saving. There is also the question of going through all that hassle only to find that the parcel delivered to your door is a box of fake cubans.

daniel2001
03-06-2013, 11:35 AM
Just read through this thread and get the distinct impression that the UK is whole heartedly bent on extracting out its countrymen as much money as possible. The word 'extortion' comes to mind.
Surely things can be made simpler as opposed to HMCE lurking in the shadows to rob and plunder those who fail to cover every base. They are like the speed cameras behind trees, positioned for the purposes of catching out the unwary motorist.
It's the hidden costs that make things even more frustrating, as well as the lack of immediately available information that should be on the HMCE site.
It all raises the question - is it worth importing and is there really much of a saving. There is also the question of going through all that hassle only to find that the parcel delivered to your door is a box of fake cubans.

Taxation in this country is a mess across the board, whether it's any form of personal, consumer or company/corporation taxation. The whole thing needs to be massively simplified, made more transparent and tax rates need to be reduced for everyone and everything (whilst enforcement of paying taxes is made absolute).

And cigars should be tax free.

sheppsea
03-06-2013, 11:56 AM

I second that!

butternutsquashpie
03-06-2013, 01:01 PM

Love the idea, but outsiders always put cigars and cigarettes together. They think it all smells and tastes terrible, and causes the same health issues. Therefore, they group them together in regulation AND taxation.

Now we all know that most cigar smokers are not addicted nor do it to get their fix of nicotine. This is proved well enough by the fact that no normal people under the age of 25 (except some special ones ;)) would even try to buy/smoke them. The same with a pipe. This just proves that ciagarettes and pipe tobacco&cigars should really be grouped diferently But the general public doesn't know that, unfortunately.

This is something that angers me wholey in my country, and apparently yours too. You can tell by the lack of my emoticons in this matter..........

daniel2001
03-06-2013, 01:10 PM
This just proves that ciagarettes and pipe tobacco&cigars should really be grouped diferently But the general public doesn't know that, unfortunately.

This is something that angers me wholey in my country, and apparently yours too. You can tell by the lack of my emoticons in this matter..........

Tis also something that gets me extremely irate. All the talk about equality and the need to treat all people fairly, and then they go and paint everyone with the same brush....

fordi
03-06-2013, 02:51 PM
I second that!

You'll get my vote in the elections!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

baileyth
04-06-2013, 08:26 PM
This is life in the uk I'm afraid.

Please don't post links to non Uk sources. Ryanair flights only :-)))

BoneyBlade
05-06-2013, 06:07 PM
sweet little request from HMRC. This is what you have to pay if you order 40 robusto cigars (2 boxes of 20 cigars).

butternutsquashpie
05-06-2013, 06:26 PM
sweet little request from HMRC. This is what you have to pay if you order 40 robusto cigars (2 boxes of 20 cigars).

Geez, well which fatties did you get anyways?? And how much for em there? :)
Better be well worth it! :rolleyes:

Sent from my BlackBerry 9100 using Tapatalk

BoneyBlade
05-06-2013, 06:49 PM
Geez, well which fatties did you get anyways?? And how much for em there? :)
Better be well worth it! :rolleyes:

Sent from my BlackBerry 9100 using Tapatalk

That price doesn't include the price of cigars and postage. The cigars I ordered are not available in UK but if they were, they would have been more expensive then what I got them for. Check out the "New In My Humidor" section for what I got. atm I am like OMG!

mrcigar
05-06-2013, 07:18 PM
Love the idea, but outsiders always put cigars and cigarettes together. They think it all smells and tastes terrible, and causes the same health issues. Therefore, they group them together in regulation AND taxation.

Now we all know that most cigar smokers are not addicted nor do it to get their fix of nicotine. This is proved well enough by the fact that no normal people under the age of 25 (except some special ones ;)) would even try to buy/smoke them. The same with a pipe. This just proves that ciagarettes and pipe tobacco&cigars should really be grouped diferently But the general public doesn't know that, unfortunately.

Yes, this is very true because excise duty is charged for the purposes of funding the campaigns, initiatives, medical care and other costly consequences resulting from the use of the product. In this case it's tobacco, and the government obviously believe that a man smoking one or two cigars a week presents the country with as a much a costly problem as do cigarette smokers. I don't have any figures, but I'd be very surprised to discover that smoking-related lung cancer and other health issues are as prevalent in cigar smokers as they are in cigarette smokers.

I am staggered by the amount of duty put on cigars - it is huge, and ridiculous! It's not that the government don't know this, or are unaware of the differences between cigars smoking and cigarette smoking - it's simply an arrogant excuse for legalised robbery.

Pete
05-06-2013, 07:22 PM
3 a cigar seems ok when you break it down but its still a kick in the stomach when you read the 3 figure sum.

BoneyBlade
06-06-2013, 01:03 AM
3 a cigar seems ok when you break it down but its still a kick in the stomach when you read the 3 figure sum.

It has left a bad taste but at the end, about 8 for a decent robusto stick is not that bad.

butternutsquashpie
06-06-2013, 01:12 AM
Sorry to cut from the cigar review.. :focus:

I don't have any figures, but I'd be very surprised to discover that smoking-related lung cancer and other health issues are as prevalent in cigar smokers as they are in cigarette smokers.

ACTUALLY, i've a mate in nursing right now who has some figures for cigar smokers and various cancers:
lung, esophagus, cheek, etc. :confused: A few tibits of information that might help calm the conscience here and there. :der: I'll go post that in a few minutes

But yes, i do agree with that you mean by the taxation thing. Bloody shame they have to do that....... and i wouldn't be so quick to say legalised robbery. :eek: Rather, it's just that they seem to tax cigarettes and without a bat of an eye, group them together blindly. lack of judgement rather than explicit robbery, IMHO..... :der:

mattyhall22
29-01-2014, 09:59 PM
Just a quickie, if you are ordering from within the EU (germany) do you still get hit with all the duties and costs etc. Or as it is part of the EU and duties have been paid in that country are we ok? :)

Sent from my iPhone5 using Tapatalk

ValeTudoGuy
29-01-2014, 10:04 PM
Just a quickie, if you are ordering from within the EU (germany) do you still get hit with all the duties and costs etc. Or as it is part of the EU and duties have been paid in that country are we ok? :)

It has to be a face to face transaction I believe, anything else and forget an open trade with the EU as you will have to pay all UK duties.

mattyhall22
29-01-2014, 10:07 PM
Robbing gits!

cigarmo
29-01-2014, 10:18 PM
Robbing gits!

only for tobacco products, if your ordering a humi then there are no extras to pay!

Rasputin
13-06-2014, 10:12 AM
Does anyone know what would happen if I brought 500 cigars back that were not bought in Duty free but in an actual shop and I had recipets. Will be moving house soon and would like to load up with as many as possible before I come back but getting nailed by HMRC doesnt appeal. Surely they have something in place for people who move abroad.... Any idea-s.

PeeJay
13-06-2014, 10:16 AM
Within the EU they could count as personal usage with a stretch of the imagination. Worst case scenario? Weigh them and multiply the weight in kilos by 265, that would be the duty 17655

rascal
13-06-2014, 12:10 PM
Does anyone know what would happen if I brought 500 cigars back that were not bought in Duty free but in an actual shop and I had recipets. Will be moving house soon and would like to load up with as many as possible before I come back but getting nailed by HMRC doesnt appeal. Surely they have something in place for people who move abroad.... Any idea-s.

You would have to pay duty if from outside the EU even if you could prove you bought them in the UK and duty was all ready paid still tough luck they would want it again.

Rasputin
13-06-2014, 12:30 PM
Well this is the problem... Switzerland not technically part of the EU however most things treat it as it. I guess with the doris in tow. I could proabably say roughly 200 a piece... Its not a big issue as I could just bring them over in phases but would be nice to get them at once.

Deano
13-06-2014, 03:07 PM
Then it's 50 per person, as it's outside the EU. Duty free or not. They won't be swayed by "Switzerland is almost the EU" either ;)

I doubt they'll just allow you to state "200 a piece". They will weigh the tobacco and apply a charge that way.

ValeTudoGuy
13-06-2014, 06:52 PM
Perhaps contact the customs office before hand and query the fact your planning to bring a collection back with you for personal use when you come back? How long have you been away?

Simon Bolivar
13-06-2014, 08:52 PM
When weighing, remember to weigh in the box, that's how HMCR do it. You'd probably be better off coming back with just 50 each, therefore nothing to pay & send the rest to me in Belgium. I'll give you a good price & everyone will be happy:rolleyes:

PeeJay
13-06-2014, 08:56 PM
So don't buy anything in heavy boxes like Behikes