PDA

View Full Version : Kopi Luwak Coffee

Dragon
28-04-2010, 12:49 PM
Mrs Dragon bought me a small (but expensive) bag of these beans. Made them into a cappuccino on the weekend and enjoyed them with a Monte Joyitas.

Kopi Luwak is the Indonesian coffee produced by recovering the beans from Civet sh1t!

The coffee was very good - rich, warming and very smooth. in fact it had a very pure coffee taste. The coffee I have ad from this part of the world has often had spicy (sometimes overly spicy) characteristics.

It's an interesting product and definitely worth the taste. It makes a good story too and something else to make your kids cringe.

The joyitas was also very good.

Big_T_UK
28-04-2010, 12:52 PM
Have been wanting to try this for AGES. Hard to source and hard to pay that much for. I tried Blue Mountain beans, they are also jolly expensive but so mad, rather a let down. Where did she source them from may I ask?

T.

El Catador
28-04-2010, 12:58 PM
I used to drink an occasional 'weasel' coffee in Vietnam (similar thing). Funny how these things get started.
Apparently it was the only way the Vietcong could source cheap coffee during the war, afterwards, they developed a taste for the ..ahem .. altered flavour and aroma and carried on drinking it.
Only now it's not so cheap.

P.S. You can still get it on amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000PH9X60/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=103612307&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0001VJE3M&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=161DA4GXZYGFBZEHQ6TT

Lascaux
28-04-2010, 01:42 PM
they have kopi luwak in algerian coffee shop dont they?

they've got some unrefined (in the ball of shit), and some refined beans sitting in the window?

EugeneSax
28-04-2010, 02:37 PM
I'm sure someone on here has a photo of a suitable cigar to smoike with this coffee?

Soulmanure
28-04-2010, 02:57 PM
You can get it here as well, in thinkgeek style: http://www.thinkgeek.com/caffeine/drinks/d60c/?cpg=130Hℑ (http://www.thinkgeek.com/caffeine/drinks/d60c/?cpg=130H&image)

shuckins
28-04-2010, 04:24 PM
I'm sure someone on here has a photo of a suitable cigar to smoike with this coffee?

how about an opus x pussy cat?

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p275/shuckins1/other745.jpg

EugeneSax
28-04-2010, 04:30 PM
how about an opus x pussy cat?

I was thinking something less feline & more camelid.

Pandyboy
28-04-2010, 05:30 PM
This coffee was on a Rick Stine program apparently the wee beasties will only pick the best beans and they are not affected by the digestion of the animal. They come out whole and and they can then crack on ad make the coffee. Supposed to be some good s**t.

I would go for a nice maduro.

rokkitsci
28-04-2010, 05:45 PM
I was thinking something less feline & more camelid.

Sorry, genieboy, my llamas is all spoke for.

eggopp
28-04-2010, 06:35 PM
I think i would have to try the coggee in order to know what id like to smoke with it.. Sounds nice all the same :biggrin1:

Dragon
28-04-2010, 07:49 PM
Have been wanting to try this for AGES. Hard to source and hard to pay that much for. I tried Blue Mountain beans, they are also jolly expensive but so mad, rather a let down. Where did she source them from may I ask?

T.

evaemilia.com

sit down before you look at the price though!

Big_T_UK
28-04-2010, 10:19 PM
I am fully aware of the price, hence never had it.

T.

monkey66
29-04-2010, 04:08 PM
Also available in Jacu Bird flavour (same process).

TBH serious enthusiasts view these coffee's as a novelty and a curiosity. Can be good coffee but certainly not worth the premium compared to the many other great beans out there. By far the biggest issue with coffee is the lack of knowledge/skill in preparation.

With some understanding and technique applied there are a full range of taste profiles and textures to experience (without needing to shit the beans out first).

Kdot
29-04-2010, 05:50 PM
With some understanding and technique applied there are a full range of taste profiles and textures to experience (without needing to shit the beans out first).

hmm differnet techniques?? will flicking the bean get a good result? :tonguecheek:

monkey66
29-04-2010, 06:18 PM
It may encourage the process :kiss: :playball: :painkiller:

hmm differnet techniques?? will flicking the bean get a good result? :tonguecheek:

celsis
29-04-2010, 06:46 PM
Monkey, I prefer Java and use a cafetiere with off the boil water. What d'you reckon? Sometimes it's great but other times, well, it's not the same! I've got to work out the way to have good coffee EVERY time!

monkey66
29-04-2010, 09:00 PM
Take a look at some of James Hoffmans videos, lots of good tips there. Have a dig around there are lots to see.

http://www.squaremileblog.com/2008/12/27/videocast-3-chemexpourover/

nicwing
29-04-2010, 09:14 PM
they have kopi luwak in algerian coffee shop dont they?

they've got some unrefined (in the ball of shit), and some refined beans sitting in the window?

Does the weight you pay for include the sh1t?

I don't really believe that. Imagine the carbon footprint and cost of transporting sh1t all the way from miles away just to pull the beans out in the UK.

How environmentally unfriendly is that?

Lee Nub
29-04-2010, 09:27 PM
We should set a competition, what's the most usual animal shit coffee bean you can source.

J Cano
30-04-2010, 03:04 AM
There is a coffee from weasel's poo they drink in Vietnam. I bet that would go good with a Guantanamera!
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Lionhound
30-04-2010, 05:57 AM
Cheers Lee,
Thanks to your suggestion my two hyper, foaming at the mouth, Rhodesian Ridgebacks have chased away the bin men, eaten the postie and chewed the three piece suite. Busy sifting dog turds just now.
Hope you enjoy the coffee . I'll let you try it first, thanks. :D :D :D

Lee Nub
30-04-2010, 07:02 AM
Sounds great, I was just going to say maybe I should give some to my mastiff and pass them off as elephant turds

nicwing
30-04-2010, 07:07 AM
We should set a competition, what's the most usual animal shit coffee bean you can source.

You bastard, you just made me spray my breakfast all over the keyboard:p

monkey66
30-04-2010, 07:55 AM
Remember the animal needs to eat the raw coffee cherries (not roasted beans).

Of course don't let this put you off feeding your pets coffee beans and sending the results to Nic :p

Lionhound
30-04-2010, 09:16 AM
On the basis of the old joke about why elephants paint their balls red and the loudest noise in the jungle being giraffes eating cherries, I think I will forgo the opportunity to participate in this competition on personal safety grounds. (he he, "grounds" eh like in coff....... Oh never mind. :D

celsis
30-04-2010, 12:17 PM
In 1989, I went to Nicaragua to help build a hospital and do a crash course in how to strip and reassemble and AK 47.

While there, I met a coupla Canadian girls in Managua who were in the country to pick coffee. They should me a handful of what they had picked and I was amazed! I don't know what I expected raw coffee to look like, but I certainly didn't expect red cherries! Strange how something that looks like hawthorn berries should turn into coffee! Wonder who roasted the berries and then brewed them first?

I'll resist the temptation to launch into the Walter Raleigh skit!

Big_T_UK
09-05-2010, 01:46 PM
Finally bit the bullet, I am drinking Kopi Luwak now. The local coffee god is doing a short run of it and so I gave in and got a mortgage for a cafeteria of one. This should be interesting.

T.

Stevieboy
09-05-2010, 03:01 PM
got a mortgage for a cafeteria

T.

surely it would be cheaper just to buy a cafetière....no need to buy the whole restaurant Trev LOL :smile:

Big_T_UK
09-05-2010, 06:27 PM
Bloody auto-spell check! Cheers.

T.

Stevieboy
09-05-2010, 06:35 PM
Bloody auto-spell check! Cheers.

T.

Know wurries mayte :smoke:

Stevieboy
09-05-2010, 06:36 PM
So Trev...how was the coffee then....worth selling the kidney for after all?:confused:

Big_T_UK
09-05-2010, 06:46 PM
Nice clean tasting coffee (ironically) but way too mild for me. I knew it was going to be a cafetière not an espresso but still it just did not have enough body for my tastes.

What was more disturbing was the way it made me feel. I have never been a drugs person but if I did not know better I would have said I had had my drink spiked. I did not feel safe to drive home for a good few hours. I felt like I was made of rubber, my eyes lodged in porridge and I had to work very hard to keep any single thought in my head. I am reasonably troubled by the experience and would seriously like to know what they hell was going on. I do not like drugs, I do not want to do drugs and this was damn close to what some drugs must be like, yuck!

T.

ChrisMClark
09-05-2010, 07:28 PM
I know it's been said already, but...

SOUNDS LIKE SOME GOOD SHIT TREV!

:D

Sorry. Couldn't resist. Sounds like a very odd reaction though...

I'm off to the Falklands next month. Anyone think I should try feeding coffee beans to the penguins?

nev coss
10-05-2010, 07:11 PM
tried it in a coffee plantation in Bali last year, wasn't tempted to buy a pack though, cost around £3 for a large cup, glad I tried it but wasn't too impressed,

daverave999
18-05-2010, 12:09 PM
I've tried the Vietnamese weasel coffee. Very smooth is all about all I can say for it, as I don't know coffee.