PDA

View Full Version : 500 Beer, not sure about the bottle.

Paulie
23-07-2010, 12:56 PM
What can you say to this???

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-10725024

What next eh!

jibjob79
23-07-2010, 04:16 PM
Wow, didn't think you could get beer alcohol content that high without fortifying/distilling which doesn't make it beer anymore? I wouldn't pay 500 but maybe a few quid for beer bottle covers that looked like that but then again i am a bit perverse lol.

Soulmanure
23-07-2010, 05:26 PM
That's an oddly lowbrow approach to high-end beer. I'm just trying to figure out who their market is.

Simon-JG-hr
23-07-2010, 06:01 PM
I knew before I even clicked on the link that this was going to be a BrewDog publicity stunt. :rolleyes:

They are the brewing world's equivalent of New Labour - all style, no substance, usually offensive...

PS. I also understand, as jibjob, that you cannot make beer at 55%, you'd have to distill it. Making it virtually as akin to whisky as beer...

celsis
24-07-2010, 07:13 AM
They also have a 41% beer called "Sink the Bismark" @ 40 a bottle, but only by mailorder!

Like Simon, I don't see the point unless you're very young, of course!

"Had a bottle of that "Sink the Bismark" last night"

"Was it any good?"

"Canny remember, so it musta been good!"

ChrisMClark
24-07-2010, 06:01 PM
I came across a bottle by BrewDog in Stanley on the Falklands of all places. It was the Tactical Nuclear Penguin. Was tempted but couldn't justify paying about 40 for 1 bottle. They had all of BrewDog's 'regular' beers in West Store too. Strange what you find that far away from home!

stokesleycigar
31-07-2010, 04:04 PM
Sounds like its for people with more money than sense but it would be nice to try beer thats stonger than most spirts! if only i had the money i would'nt care if i had no sence!!!

larrysputnik
31-07-2010, 08:53 PM
My first response, wow, quickly gave way to the thought of drinking the beer from the bottle and how disgusting it would be to kiss the lips of roadkill each time I take a sip. Not a well-thought-out marketing gimmick IMO.

captain duff
01-08-2010, 08:54 AM
I knew before I even clicked on the link that this was going to be a BrewDog publicity stunt. :rolleyes:

They are the brewing world's equivalent of New Labour - all style, no substance, usually offensive...

PS. I also understand, as jibjob, that you cannot make beer at 55%, you'd have to distill it. Making it virtually as akin to whisky as beer...

Well I think the issue is that with 'standard' brewers yeast (thinking back to my home brew days) the yeast cultures can't survive in alcohol much above 12%, however much sugar you throw in to the mix (although a high strength barley wine can be around 14%). Reading up on it apparently if you use champagne yeast you can hit around 20%. Anything above that is not a normal or natural fermentation process (I have heard the term freeze-distilling used, but don't understand what it means). Either way, I doubt this beer would be very drinkable at the strength, quite apart from the tasteless packaging...

MarkSDMF
16-09-2010, 05:44 PM
When i was staying in Aberdeen last year, I was a frequent in a Wee rock bar called 'The Moorings' Cracking wee pub it is (if your ever in 'Deen, check it out. Its on virginia street at the boats. You will know what i mean if your ever in deen)
Anyway back to the point. It is where i first tried a bottle of BrewDog. Its actually kinda like Becks, you know just their run of the mill stuff.
Its awright man but it was about 4 a bottle, sod that lol.

satch
16-09-2010, 06:03 PM
It's a load of publicity bollocks!
It's for people who say "weeeuuurrgg, guess wot drunk last night. I had 10 pints , didn't bovver me"
Wankers.

Er...in my humble opinion.

bambini
17-09-2010, 07:16 PM
I don't get it. What connects roadkill to beer? How will surrounding the beer in roadkill make it better? I could do exactly the same by force-feeding a squirrel a bottle of Becks and it would still taste like crap ;)