PDA

View Full Version : Soberano

bambini
21-09-2010, 08:10 PM
My mum gave me a bottle of soberano brandy today. she won it in a raffle. Spain's famous for it's brandy, right? ;). Anyone had it before? What am I letting myself in for?

bambini
22-09-2010, 09:01 PM
Well guys, I tried a glass today. Time for a review.

Bottle: 0/5
Firstly, it needs to be said that any alcohol with the word "sober" in the brand name is off to a bad start. Secondly,any spirit that comes in a plastic bottle is almost destined to failure. :) But let's not judge a book by its cover.

Appearance/aroma: 3/5
Nice chocolatey golden colour, smells sweet with quite a distinct toffee fragrance. Not bad so far.

Taste: 2/5
Ever wonder what creosote tastes like? Well, now you can try, with minimal ill effects ;) However, once you get over the initial throat-collapsing burn, there's actually a reasonable taste of the aforementioned toffee, some woodiness and quite a nice sweet tang. Be prepared though, it's pretty short-lived: you then have to battle with a godawful bitterness that lingers for a good few minutes.

Overall: 1/5

AVOID! AVOID! AVOID! Oh jeez, I've still got best part of a litre to slog through :(

eggopp
22-09-2010, 10:57 PM
Haha sounds like a brandy i tried once in Germany called metaxa... or in short paint stripper... :der:

MarkSDMF
23-09-2010, 12:18 AM
Never saw the interest with brandy, something that ive avoided after tasting at a drunked party lol.

bambini
23-09-2010, 11:45 AM
Never saw the interest with brandy, something that ive avoided after tasting at a drunked party lol.

OK, since you're keen for me to try Jura, I'll buy a bottle of Jura if you buy a nice VSOP or XO :) We'll cross new frontiers together, old boy :)