PDA

View Full Version : Whiskey in tea!

richgirling
24-09-2010, 09:42 PM
This will upset the purists!:biggrin1:
Try a teaspoon of (cheap blended) whiskey in a strong cup of tea itís absolutely fantastic. Really brings out the malty flavours.
My Granddad used to give my Mum this tipple to try to calm her nerves when she was pulling her hair out looking after us kids!
I introduced some friends to this drink a couple of years ago whilst we were skiing, they absolutely loved it.

senor_robusto
24-09-2010, 10:06 PM
hey richgirling,
as interesting as this sounds........ you could save yourself the hassle and buy a box of twinings lapsang souchong from your local supermarket!!!! very peaty/ malty tasting and very soothing!!!! no need to buy cheap whisky just for this, buy these teabags (approx £2.50 for 50 in any supermarket) and save your money towards good whiskey........ l

all the best,

alex:849:

richgirling
24-09-2010, 10:46 PM
hey richgirling,
as interesting as this sounds........ you could save yourself the hassle and buy a box of twinings lapsang souchong from your local supermarket!!!! very peaty/ malty tasting and very soothing!!!! no need to buy cheap whisky just for this, buy these teabags (approx £2.50 for 50 in any supermarket) and save your money towards good whiskey........ l

all the best,

alex:849:

I now use my Granddad's remedy to sooth my own nerves when my kids are making me pull my hair out!:biggrin1: Lapsang souchong does not have quite the same calming effect as the cheap booze in cup of cheap tea. :p

senor_robusto
24-09-2010, 11:57 PM
lol........ nothing has the same effect as cheap booze!!!:smile: never liked whisky or honey in my tea (well, occasionally honey in green tea), but i am partial to whiskey & brandy in my coffee.......

maybe not the same thing!!!! lol........

all the best mate,

alex:849::rock::smile:

whisky77
25-09-2010, 04:31 AM
Never tried it TBH, but might give it a try, just for a laugh.:rolleyes:

neilini
25-09-2010, 06:52 AM
Ah whiskey in tea. Now my grandparents swore by this as a treatment for the slightest runny nose, many a time as a boy would I end up a little merry over there place. So it always stirs up nice memories for me.

Simon-JG-hr
25-09-2010, 07:42 AM
My grandparents were fond of this one too. Not too bad at all.

I wouldn't waste good whisky or good tea on it mind, but average and average = nice.

celsis
25-09-2010, 07:55 AM
A mate of mine who's Swiss, turned me on to Jagdtee. Take a cup of tea (no milk) and add some brandy and port! Delicioso!

richgirling
25-09-2010, 09:19 AM
Ah whiskey in tea. Now my grandparents swore by this as a treatment for the slightest runny nose, many a time as a boy would I end up a little merry over there place. So it always stirs up nice memories for me.

Take a trip down memory lane mate, get the kettel on.:tee:

A mate of mine who's Swiss, turned me on to Jagdtee. Take a cup of tea (no milk) and add some brandy and port! Delicioso!

That sound fab celsis, I'm going to try that tonight.:thumb:

St. Ultimate
29-09-2010, 03:31 PM
lol, this reminds me of a bike tour across Wales - we were camped up for the night and started putting JD in our cups of tea, just larking about.....turned out to be awesome!!!!
I've done it several times since, mainly when enjoying a cigar on my decking in the dead of winter, warms you up very quickly!! :41:

celsis
30-09-2010, 09:28 AM
Reminds me of when my dad used to tell me about when I was a baby. Seems I was a greetin faced wee demon and wouldn't stop crying! He used to mix a shot of bells and some warm water and sugar. A toddy, begod! He would then give me a coupla teasppons of it and I'd go to sleep!

Kinda explains a few things in later life!

watcher-in-the-woods
30-09-2010, 12:18 PM
only way i would drink tea....tea is a ladies drink

Aussiewaz
30-09-2010, 12:29 PM
:tsk::ban::popcorn:

watcher-in-the-woods
30-09-2010, 12:59 PM
:tsk::ban::popcorn:
you dont like me do you?

Aussiewaz
30-09-2010, 01:09 PM
Is it that obvious? Damn, I thought I was being less snide than you. Oh well, seems I've been figured out. (Sorry I took so long to reply to you Lurker in the Loo's, I was doing something more important, like having a shower).

linfield100
03-10-2010, 08:50 PM
Crikey, havn't had whisky in my tea for years.Takes me back though.
It was quite pleasant from what I can remember. Needed sugar though, and I don't take sugar now.
It was always around Christmas time, every time you were offered a cuppa they'd put a slug of Bells in it. Only way to drink the rubbish. The Bells I mean.

EugeneSax
03-10-2010, 10:00 PM
I often drink tea with a whisky chaser, as in "coffee & brandy" & generally find it a far superior match for a decent cigar than the latter.

As I've intimated elsewhere, If I were intent on having the Cof-bran combo I'd pick a decent value NC, if I wanted a smoke too (& who wouldn't with that?). However If I had selected a decent Cuban to smoke, I'd far rather accompany that with the tea-whisk double.

It may all go down the same hole (& emerge likewise) but I'm not sure what's to be gained by mixing either the tea-whisk or cof-bran in the same receptical, other than a saving on washing up.

watcher-in-the-woods
04-10-2010, 01:35 PM
Is it that obvious? Damn, I thought I was being less snide than you. Oh well, seems I've been figured out. (Sorry I took so long to reply to you Lurker in the Loo's, I was doing something more important, like having a shower).

thats ok! i dont like you either! :rock::eek::smoke:

richgirling
04-10-2010, 09:36 PM
I often drink tea with a whisky chaser, as in "coffee & brandy" & generally find it a far superior match for a decent cigar than the latter.

As I've intimated elsewhere, If I were intent on having the Cof-bran combo I'd pick a decent value NC, if I wanted a smoke too (& who wouldn't with that?). However If I had selected a decent Cuban to smoke, I'd far rather accompany that with the tea-whisk double.

It may all go down the same hole (& emerge likewise) but I'm not sure what's to be gained by mixing either the tea-whisk or cof-bran in the same receptical, other than a saving on washing up.

Now that's interesting, a cuppa with a whiskey chaser. Looks like I'm going to have to try it.
I think simonjgriffitshr sumed it up nicley earlier about mixing the two when he said
I wouldn't waste good whisky or good tea on it mind, but average and average = nice.
I have already had a go at celsis's Jagdtee, very nice it was to.

I though when I joined this forum it was going to be the lungs that would give out first but I don't think the liver is going to be far behind!!:biggrin1:

celsis
05-10-2010, 08:36 AM
Yep, the old hunter's tea really warms the cockles on a cold night!

neilini
06-10-2010, 06:37 PM
just having one now because of this thread and its bringing back great memories,not as strong as i remember though which is making me question my grandparents babysitting techniques :biggrin1:

jdawg
06-10-2010, 08:27 PM
This is interesting!

I am going to have to give this a try.

Styler
11-10-2010, 08:31 PM
I'll often stick some cheap whisky (never really buy whiskey) into coffee when I feel like I'm coming down with something but to mix good whisky with anything is simply unacceptable :)

(I'll accept water, although I presonally don't like to do it)

celsis
14-10-2010, 03:32 PM
Styler, Gotta agree with you. The rule of thumb is never, NEVER mix a good malt with anything but water. If you want to try whisky in tea, better get a cooking whisky like Bells or Grouse. In other words, a blend!

Styler
14-10-2010, 03:37 PM
Yeah, if you've got a bad cold or the like and can't taste it anyway then cheap cooking whisky is all you need :)

nev coss
15-10-2010, 07:17 PM
as a kid we always had a cup of tea with a drop of whisky in it on Christmas morning, still do it now

neilini
15-10-2010, 07:32 PM
well thanks to this thread reigniting my childhood taste for this i think ive found my winter warmer.I have to smoke in the garage so a flask of tea and a bottle of cheap as chips whiskey seems to be keeping the cold out

Monkey Nuts
16-10-2010, 06:54 AM
Right then - this thread keeps popping back up, so I'm going to have to give it a go now!

I won a bottle of Bells a few weeks ago playing golf, and I've been wondering what to do with it (other than give, or throw, it away) - so tonight is the night I think!! :biggrin1:

celsis
16-10-2010, 09:26 AM
Make it so, Herr Nuts!

webincrediblez.com
16-10-2010, 10:02 AM
hmmmm... I should try that! hahahha

Simon-JG-hr
16-10-2010, 11:33 AM
Much as I seem to have become a single malt fiend, I think Bells is a pretty good whisky (I'd never think of drinking it neat though). Makes a really nice combo with Canada Dry too. ;)

pedro_han
16-10-2010, 12:12 PM
caution!

alcohol + tea = toxic!!

I wouldnt do that, i once puked the hell out after having tea + wine

Simon-JG-hr
16-10-2010, 12:14 PM
Well you would. You don't have to drink that/them to know it would be a vile combination. :eek:

In fact, any wine (unless sparkling), mixed with anything else (whether in the same glass or subsequent), is a recipe for disaster.

Monkey Nuts
16-10-2010, 12:19 PM
Tea + wine. Good lord!! That sound dreadful :eek:.

Not sure about Bells with Canada Dry Simon, might give it a go. Anyone else have a decent use for Bells???

Monkey Nuts
20-10-2010, 02:11 PM
Tried a slug of Bells in my cuppa at the weekend, and it was a surprisingly pleasant experience!! It does bring out some of the more malty flavours in the Bells while taking some of the harshness out of it.

I've now developed a beauty of a head cold, so tea and Bells is my latest attempt to cure the common cold - it's not too effective but it's got to be better than bloody Lemsip.....

Styler
20-10-2010, 02:17 PM
The best use for Bells and the best cure for a cold happen to be the same thing... a hot toddie.

Take a mug, fill it about a third full of cheap whisky (you might want to use less... or more!) add a heaped teaspoon of sugar and top up with boiling water. You can also add in a slice of lemon and/or a couple of cloves.

One of these before bedtime will sort you right out :)

EDIT: The faster you drink it the better it works!

Simon-JG-hr
20-10-2010, 02:30 PM
Rum, honey and lemon - warmed, no watering down... Even better. :thumb: Best tip I've ever been given - by G-man as it happens.

satch
20-10-2010, 04:04 PM
I quite like Bells, neat. I enjoy the licourice taste on the finish.
Or is that just me. Again.