PDA

View Full Version : Drinks Bargains

EugeneSax
28-09-2010, 11:02 PM
Thought I'd start a thread so we can alert members of any noteworthy drinks bargains available from various emporia.

Today (Tues 28/09) I took a relatively rare trip to our local Tesco Metro & picked up a bottle of Croft Indulgence reserve port for just under 6, which is half normal price & I suspect a bin end so possibly not available everywhere.

I bought it to replace theM&S and Sainsbury's own brand Ruby's that mainly get used for cooking here plus the odd cigar accompaniment as I'm not a massive port afficionado. However I've just tried a wee dram of the Croft & wow, it's absolutely gorgeous (to my relatively untutored port palate) - thick, rich & unctuous, sweet & not too tannic. A definite cut above bog stsandard Ruby and for the same money, represents a brilliant bargain. I'm off to get another 1 or 2 bottles tomorrow as I can see it pairing exceptionally well with say Partagas & especially various NC Maduros, Nubs, Cains and the like.

I also picked up a couple different of Rioja Reservas 2005 for under a fiver, but haven't tried them yet so can't claim they're bargains, although they certainly appear to offer decent - good value.

Simon-JG-hr
28-09-2010, 11:53 PM
Excellent idea, good sir!

I like the idea of a bargain spotting thread, it's just the sort of thing that I need. Though with the stockpiles I've managed to accumulate recently, I shouldn't be needing any more whisky or port for a wee while.

EugeneSax
29-09-2010, 03:56 PM
Thanks, Simon.

I thought it could be particularly useful for us wine drinkers who replenish their stocks on a weekly basis & find that trhe price tag is as important as the bottle label.

satch
29-09-2010, 05:10 PM
There's a very nice 'Taste the Differance' rum going in Sainburys for 10.50.

peanutpete
29-09-2010, 05:18 PM
great idea, must say seems hard to beat supermarkets for price on booze shame really as i would rather give my hard earned to a independent

jimmy_g32
29-09-2010, 06:02 PM
ALL wine in Tesco has 25% off at the moment, if you buy half a dozen bottles. That makes some of their "fine wines" from their website look quite attractive.

Simon-JG-hr
29-09-2010, 10:33 PM
I was pleased with the price of Glenmorangie Nectar d'Oro at Heathrow. So pleased in fact that I bought a bottle going in both directions... Of course, you need to be flying. It's 42, which is a great price. You can pick it up for the same from The Whisky Exchange (but minimum order/P&P kind of offsets the attractive price).

satch... how's the Taste the Difference rum then? I'm generally a HC Anejo Especial person - a nice golden rum would be my normal 'go to'.

Simon-JG-hr
22-10-2010, 10:23 PM
satch - big thanks for the sample, I finally drank it a couple of nights ago. You won't go far wrong with it at 10.50, or indeed anything sub-18-ish. I drank it with a block of ice and it went down perfectly well (normally I can't drink anything but a really good rum without coke or something - so that would make this a really good rum!)

Thanks again satch, I'm going to look out for this now.

jimmy_g32
30-10-2010, 02:18 PM
If anyone is looking to stock up on a few bottles of white, there is a good white Rioja in Waitrose at the moment - 25% off, which brings it down to about 6.50 a bottle.

moidoid
30-10-2010, 03:19 PM
If anyone is looking to stock up on a few bottles of white, there is a good white Rioja in Waitrose at the moment - 25% off, which brings it down to about 6.50 a bottle.

I'll get a few for 'er indoors. Cheers Jim.

Simon-JG-hr
30-10-2010, 11:31 PM
Bollinger's got 9 off at Sainsbury's at the moment - brings it down below the magical Champagne mark of 30... :thumb: (I'm sticking to Pol Roger, but that's just me - got a couple of bottles chilling for my birthday, nowt to celebrate, but Pol will cheer me up...)