PDA

View Full Version : Your Favourite 4 malts

The Prince, Moseley
21-10-2010, 03:35 PM
Here's one for you guys...

Tonight I am holding a whisky tasting at the Prince. The idea is folk pay 10 and I offer a measure of 4 outstanding malts. But which 4 should I choose?

My initial thoughts are:

Glenmorangie Signet
Bruichladdich 15 year old
Glenfarclas 30 year old.
Talisker Distillers Edition

What would your top 4 malts be?

Struth
21-10-2010, 03:44 PM
What are the choices ? sounds like a great idea pity I'm to far away.

Corto Maltese
21-10-2010, 03:59 PM
I would have to put the dalwhiny ( I don't think thats spelt right ! ) in there somewhere as its my favourite, smooth, sweet and with a lovely honey finish. But I would'nt grumble supping the others mind you.
It sounds like a great night, shame I'm in france, bit of a trek.
Which is your prefered tipple landlord ?

Seriesteve
21-10-2010, 03:59 PM
I'd love to know the choices, big fan of my Malts myself
Have you tried the Glendronach Revival a fine malt
Benrinnies is another fav......along with about, another few Hundred
Wish I stayed closer too, beleive me when I'm down that way I'll be popping in by, I'll give you notice :thumb:
Have a great night Sante'
Ss

Styler
21-10-2010, 04:02 PM
Hmmmm...

The Talisker DE is a great choice, all the key talisker flavours with some extra sherry sweetness. I've not tried the Signet before but I've heard from reliable sources that it's one of the best expressions they've ever produced so that's a good choice as well. I must admit however that I'm not a fan of Bruichladdich at all although I know people who swear by it.

It all depends on what you have avaliable, but I would say that given the sweeter nature of the Talisker DE and the Signet (from what I've heard) it might be good to have at least one stronger, smokey whisky (like lagavulin 16 or masters) and one lighter (like the balvenie 15)

Just my thoughts! Let me know how it goes, wish I was closer :)

Struth
21-10-2010, 04:09 PM
A few memorable over the years

Springbank 100 proof
Royal Lochnagar
Loch Dhu The Black Whisky
Caol Ila
Talisker
Old Parr
Dimple Pinch
Johnnie Walker Various

The wife worked for Diagio a few years ago some of the deals in the staff shop were unbelivable. Just looked up the Loch Dhu on line 190 think she got it for around a tenner remember getting a bottle of JW black label and a bottle of gold label 20 the pair. Happy days Wife left to become a Social care worker how selfish was that.
:wink:

Simon-JG-hr
21-10-2010, 05:32 PM
I'd probably go with...

Tamdhu 18yo or anCnoch 12yo (probably the former)
Glenmorangie Nectar d'Or
Macallan 12yo Sherry Oak (bloody difficult to get hold of though)
Bowmore 15yo Darkest

All chosen (and bought) by me based on the fact that I love them, and that they offer pretty decent value.

jibjob79
21-10-2010, 05:44 PM
If you have it i am rather partial to a Laphroaig. Love Glenmorangie and Talisker but have never tried the other two personally. Making me think about having a whiskey or two or three tonight with something cuban. When i was living in Scotland i managed to get hold of some Laphroaig cast strength whiskey with a bottle of the water it is made from to dilute if required for my father several years ago, bloody good stuff.

Pilot
21-10-2010, 05:46 PM
Hmm.. I am still in the process of determining the top four but the Clynelish 14 yo will be among them. Reasonably priced too! :)

Pipe Dude
21-10-2010, 05:57 PM
Highland Park 18yo
Laphroaig 1/4 Cask
Old Pulteney 1990
Caol Ila 12yo

The Prince, Moseley
21-10-2010, 06:09 PM
Thanks for some great ideas. I wasn't really intending folks to be limited to our whisky menu, but just interested to know other people's favourite 4.

satch
21-10-2010, 06:11 PM
Laphroaig 1/4 Cask.
Dalwhinnie.
Ardmore.
Ardbeg.
This may change depending on the next unknown malt I try.
So much whisky/ cigars/ music/ bikes/ beer.
So little time!

mackem keith
21-10-2010, 06:14 PM
Oh difficult to choose prince i have too many favourites but id love to know the extent of your collection at the pub, which by the way is becoming more and more enticing sounds like my kind of pub :beer:

celsis
21-10-2010, 06:34 PM
Macallan Oak
Ardbeg Rollercoaster
Springbank 18
Ledaig (ALWAYS good!!!)

tupacboy
21-10-2010, 06:55 PM
macallan 17 fine oak (actually i never met any macallan i didn't like... it's by far my fav brand... but the 17 fine oak is my fav from the line)

abelour abunadh
dalwhinnie 15
oban 14

Lilyboo
21-10-2010, 07:34 PM
Would be difficult narrowing it down. Possibly along the lines of a Whyte & Mackay 21 year old, Highland Park, Jura Superstition, Monkey Shoulder, Bunnahabhain and maybe a Bowmore. This list would probably change daily though.

cigarboozer
21-10-2010, 07:39 PM
current favourites are sherried ardbeg, lagavulin and caolila and laphroig and bowmore.

id recommend picking up a japanese malt or 2 as well, i recently purchased a 12y hakushu bottle, and its quite good. mineral/rain/leaf/grass/fruit type thing going on. reminds me of a tea ceremony.

also, some quality bourbon/rye is usually well received. (not really malt though)

spooner
21-10-2010, 07:42 PM
The wife asked me for some ideas on malts to get me for christmas as I'm still fairly newish to single malts I'm using this thread as my shopping list.....although I do love a the 12yrold auchentoshan or a 12 yr Strathisla

The Prince, Moseley
21-10-2010, 07:46 PM
Lots of good stuff ... now in about 20 minutes I have got to start the tasting but in an hour or so I will be facing the tough challenge of what to smoke with my final dram (probably the Talisker). Given I like Siglo VI, Monte No.2s etc, what's the recommended smoke from you guys to go with the whisky?
Thanks Keith

Seriesteve
21-10-2010, 08:30 PM
Last night we were tippling the Talisker
I was smoking the Monte Eagle, creamy and quite rich, my Buddy a SD No1 EL
Both of us like the combinations
Ss :41:

The Prince, Moseley
21-10-2010, 11:58 PM
Well a great night ... my guests favourites were quite diverse with The Glenmorangie Signet and the GlenFarclas 30 year old. Personally being a bit of a peat head, I would have say the Talisker Distillers Edition. If you like normal Talisker you will love this: smoother and more complex. Available on-line from whisky exchange.

On the cigars, I am afraid I simply deferred to my default midweek smoke which is an unbranded canones from Havana. Very good.

Styler
22-10-2010, 10:30 AM
Well a great night ... my guests favourites were quite diverse with The Glenmorangie Signet and the GlenFarclas 30 year old. Personally being a bit of a peat head, I would have say the Talisker Distillers Edition. If you like normal Talisker you will love this: smoother and more complex. Available on-line from whisky exchange.

On the cigars, I am afraid I simply deferred to my default midweek smoke which is an unbranded canones from Havana. Very good.

Nice one, glad it all went well. I'm very much with you on being a bit of a peat head :)