PDA

View Full Version : Ron Zacapa, Solera 23

Styler
06-01-2011, 10:13 AM
Happy new year all!

Just thought I would shout about this rum a little bit in case there are people who may not have come across it yet.

I got a bottle of this (http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-4548.aspx) from my wife for xmas and tried a little last night. From the first sniff it blew me away, all dark fruits and honey. Then in the mouth it's an explosion of muscovado sugar, rasins, hints of almond and an almost port-like taste at the back of the mouth.

Truly one of the finest drinks I have found in a long time, I just can't wait to try it with a cigar!

Puff Scotty
06-01-2011, 10:42 AM
Nice one, beautifully sweet drink, magic with a big Trini...enjoy :thumb:

michael69
06-01-2011, 11:08 AM
It's regarded by many as the best rum you can buy; great stuff

I've got some of the XO as well; even better!

monkey66
06-01-2011, 01:59 PM
Yup, well known, highly regarded.

spooner
06-01-2011, 02:09 PM
It is like a golden elixir of angels tears and mixed with the purest waters that only unicorns drink from.....I don't think that has done it justice ok how's this .....it's bloody gorgeous......I love drinking mackemkeith's .....lol...... Ps I do appreciate it tho.......

mackem keith
06-01-2011, 09:33 PM
It is like a golden elixir of angels tears and mixed with the purest waters that only unicorns drink from.....I don't think that has done it justice ok how's this .....it's bloody gorgeous......I love drinking mackemkeith's .....lol...... Ps I do appreciate it tho.......

Get your hand in your pocket tightwad im nearly all out of zacapa loved every drop :biggrin1:

spooner
06-01-2011, 09:35 PM
Tell ya what get me some for my birthday, and I'll share it with ya.....haha

Big_T_UK
06-01-2011, 10:21 PM
The Zaya is up there with the 23yo Zacapa and can be had very cheaply in the US (The Zacapa does not seem much cheaper abroad however).

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/twesearchresult.aspx?q=zaya

I have yet to try the 15yo Zacapa. It is not branded as a lower drink, just a different variation as attested by it costing a couple of quid more at the Whiskey Exchange.

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-10703.aspx

If that is a little rich for your blood then I love some of the varieties from Plantation Rum, the Trinidad is amongst the best. The Jamaican is on my list to try

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-6823.aspx

But currently working on getting one of the rarer ones at the mo, I hope.

If you are travelling abroad the Havana Club Barrel Proof can be found very cheaply and is a perfectly fine tipple but not worth the UK cost.

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-5657.aspx

Note: I am told it is going out of production as they are have a product shuffle.

Puff Scotty
07-01-2011, 01:15 PM
[QUOTE=Big_T_UK;130798]
If that is a little rich for your blood then I love some of the varieties from Plantation Rum, the Trinidad is amongst the best. The Jamaican is on my list to try

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-6823.aspx

I've tried the Barbados 2000 & prefer the Mount Gay Extra Old Aged...

whisky77
12-01-2011, 08:39 PM
I recently finished off my bottle of Havana Barrell proof so I was interested to read the feedback from this thread.

I purchased a 1 litre bottle of Ron Zacapa 23 Centenario Solera for 35 yesterday, which I thought was a bit of a bargain TBH.

I have not tried it yet, but looking forward to it following the info given on this thread. Cheers.:rock:

Big_T_UK
12-01-2011, 11:11 PM
Gosh, may one ask where it can be sourced at that?

Puff Scotty
13-01-2011, 09:05 AM
Gosh, may one ask where it can be sourced at that?

:hello: Me too please!

monkey66
13-01-2011, 11:14 AM
Me three please.

Jimmeh
13-01-2011, 01:39 PM
Me Four?

whisky77
13-01-2011, 07:57 PM
Managed to pick it up in T1 at Heathrow. Not sure if they had a "special" on the price,as I said, I thought this was a good price.

whisky77
07-03-2011, 04:08 PM
Tried the Zacapa 23 a couple of nights ago for the first time and it has to be one of the best Rums I have tasted. I normally stick with the Havana Club 7YO or Barrell Proof, but the Zacapa 23 puts both of these to shame.

Really dark in colour with a smooth sweetness and a taste of honey,chocolate and molasses, which is all very nice when teamed up with the Mag 50 or Epicure No1 that i have paired it with so far.

Thanks to all those on the forum who kept raving about it.:rock: Without your feedback I would probabaly never have thought to try it.

Styler
08-03-2011, 09:14 AM
Glad to hear it! I knew I started this thread for a reason :)

Mark3142
08-03-2011, 09:25 AM
A few years ago when I was working in Jamaica I fell in love with Appletons Rum. Only seen it in a few outlets here in the UK. Always grab a bottle when it's seen

Cigar-aficionado
08-03-2011, 11:37 AM
If you like Zacapa then you should also try Diplomaticos rum, very much along the same lines

whisky77
08-03-2011, 02:21 PM
If you like Zacapa then you should also try Diplomaticos rum, very much along the same lines

Thanks for the heads up. I will keep my eye open for it in future.:41:

mackem keith
09-03-2011, 06:57 PM
The Ron Zacapa is available at heathrow duty free at an excellent price ive just received my second bottle from the same duty free bonus is being duty it comes in 1 litre bottles an excellent price if you are passing through Heathrow this is a must pick up for the price,
Another mention must go to the diplomatico rum too, as mentioned earlier in thread, i purchased a bottle of this a few months back a beautiful rum but for me not as good as zacapa :41:

michael69
09-03-2011, 07:02 PM
These are my rums (much v enjoyable trial and error trying to determine which goes best with which cigar...... they all seem to by the way!)

- Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva
- El Dorado 21 Year old
- Flor de Cana 18 Year old Centenario Gold
- Gosling's Family Reserve
- Mount Gay Extra Old
- Pampero Aniversario
- Ron Matusalem Grand Reserva Solera 15
- Ron Zacapa Centenario Sistema Solera 23
- Ron Zacapa XO Grand Special Reserve
- Santa Teresa 1796

Puff Scotty
09-03-2011, 07:28 PM
A few years ago when I was working in Jamaica I fell in love with Appletons Rum. Only seen it in a few outlets here in the UK. Always grab a bottle when it's seen
Hi Mark, available locally to me, bought a bottle of VX on Sunday, there were 2 other types on the shelves.. I'll shop & post if you'd like, have to be in a while though, I'm orf for a bit......
Puff

Puff Scotty
09-03-2011, 07:41 PM
Hi again, nobody seems to mention the Havana Club Cuban Barrel Proof, do you think it's worth it's price tag over the standard bottling (especial) 'cos personally I don't think the 7 yr deserves the extra dosh but the BP IMHO is worth the XXX's.

Jacobwaits
11-03-2011, 12:05 PM
I have been looking at this rum on my shelf for a while now. Going to give it a try this weekend.

whisky77
11-03-2011, 12:12 PM
Hi again, nobody seems to mention the Havana Club Cuban Barrel Proof, do you think it's worth it's price tag over the standard bottling (especial) 'cos personally I don't think the 7 yr deserves the extra dosh but the BP IMHO is worth the XXX's.

I have drunk a couple of bottles of this(BP) and it does not compare to the Zacapa IMO. I like to drink my rum straight and the Zacapa is No1 as far as I am concerned.

The only time I drink rum mixed is in Mojitos, and I use Bacardi 151 for those.:eek:

HabanoSy
20-09-2011, 11:29 AM
Now available to purchase from Tescos @ 52 a bottle... :smoke:

Cheers, HabanoSy

daverave999
20-09-2011, 01:33 PM
Now available to purchase from Tescos @ 52 a bottle...
Damn... I might have to avoid the spirits aisle until payday!

cohibaIV
20-09-2011, 04:49 PM
Now available to purchase from Tescos @ 52 a bottle... :smoke:

Cheers, HabanoSy

Not up here...

Sent by smoke signals using iCohiba from Havana