PDA

View Full Version : Rum V Whisky..

Puff Scotty
07-01-2011, 12:24 PM
Ixxxxxxxxxx

Big_T_UK
07-01-2011, 12:30 PM
Scotch is a drink I am more passionate about but rum works with cigars better for me, simple as....

Puff Scotty
07-01-2011, 12:36 PM
xxxxxxxxxx

CloseEmBoth
07-01-2011, 01:00 PM
I love my rum, but have never gotten a taste for whisky just the smell of it tends to put me off:confused:

whisky77
07-01-2011, 01:30 PM
I 've noticed several affish.... nolegible peeple on the forum who quite like a wee tipple with their stogies. Me too a little:rolleyes:
I find I can moderate my whisky intake whilst herfing but to be honest I'm an absolute lush with the rum & can slurp best part of a bottle during a single smoke.
Me bad - or should I increase my Whisky intake?:849:

I am the opposite; I can have a couple of glasses of Rum with a smoke and there is no problem, but if I am in the mood then I can certainly make a serious impact on a good bottle of single malt, either with or without a cigar.:eek:

Horses for courses and all that!:p

Styler
07-01-2011, 01:41 PM
Scotch is a drink I am more passionate about but rum works with cigars better for me, simple as....

Yeah, I'm starting to come around to this way of thinking.

I am very passionate about my national drink but I've had a couple of different rums recently and enjoyed them greatly alongside a cigar.

Still to try the Zacapa with a smoke though, can't wait!

Big_T_UK
07-01-2011, 02:08 PM
Some good friend love and rave about Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva Rum.

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-4475.aspx

It is not hugely expensive and the first time I tried it I thought it was interesting but I went off it after a couple of good tumblers full. The problem is it is SO sweet that it almost feels like it coats the entire inside of your mouth and you can no longer taste anything much, not what I want with a cigar. The rum should be a juxtaposition to the cigar, not nullify it utterly.

I am not against sweet in general though. I love Aberlour A'bunadh

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-12085.aspx

This is a very sherry like scotch and I have been trying several of the batches they release, sweet can be good.

Puff Scotty
07-01-2011, 02:38 PM
xxxxxxxxx

Big_T_UK
07-01-2011, 02:41 PM
Pretty much! LOL

gooseman
07-01-2011, 02:51 PM
Some good friend love and rave about Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva Rum.

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-4475.aspx

It is not hugely expensive and the first time I tried it I thought it was interesting but I went off it after a couple of good tumblers full. The problem is it is SO sweet that it almost feels like it coats the entire inside of your mouth and you can no longer taste anything much, not what I want with a cigar. The rum should be a juxtaposition to the cigar, not nullify it utterly.

I do love the idea of a slightly sweeter drink to accompany my smokes, but I find what your describing of the over powering/almost syrupy sweetness does take a little away from my palate sometimes.

I find the 10 cane Trinidad lovely - although may not be to everyone's palate.

Big_T_UK
07-01-2011, 02:53 PM
OOO, new one to me.

Masterdj
07-01-2011, 05:02 PM
I do love to have a Scotch everynight even without a cigar. I am not a big fan of sweet drinks..

mackem keith
07-01-2011, 08:43 PM
I do love the idea of a slightly sweeter drink to accompany my smokes, but I find what your describing of the over powering/almost syrupy sweetness does take a little away from my palate sometimes.

I find the 10 cane Trinidad lovely - although may not be to everyone's palate.

I assume this is the white rum variety if so the 10 cane makes the best cuba libre ive tried to date one of my favorite cocktails with an habano :rock:

gooseman
07-01-2011, 08:57 PM
I assume this is the white rum variety if so the 10 cane makes the best cuba libre ive tried to date one of my favorite cocktails with an habano :rock:

Spot on Keith mate, i love it in a Cuba libre!!

monkey66
08-01-2011, 10:18 AM
Been wondering about the A'bunadh as I keep seeing it in the shops but have never tried. How would you describe it?

Puff Scotty
08-01-2011, 10:51 AM
xxxxxxxxx

Big_T_UK
08-01-2011, 10:08 PM
I have batch 19,20,22. Does not vary that much between the three. Very sweet for a scotch, rich fruits, sherry like is the best way I can put it. Needs a drop of water in it, but just a drop.

mackem keith
08-01-2011, 10:21 PM
I have a bottle of a'bunadh in my collection batch 22 and agree with big T it works best with a touch of water the best way i can describe it is its intense and fruity with a long lingering slightly spicey taste in the mouth, one thing to note though is the abunadh is very high in alcohol content at least batch 22 is anyhow which is 59.3% alc/vol not for the faint hearted :biggrin1:

Puff Scotty
08-01-2011, 11:56 PM
xxxxxxxxxx

Big_T_UK
09-01-2011, 12:04 AM
All the batches are within one percentage alc/vol, that I have seen.

Puff, sounds interesting, going to go and see if I find the same myself.