PDA

View Full Version : Nespresso

Struth
17-03-2011, 08:22 PM
Thinking about treating myself any advice ?

Moon Dancer
17-03-2011, 08:51 PM
Convenient, expensive but consistently good quality. Nevertheless, no subsitute for fresh ground beans, IMHO:smile:

monkey66
17-03-2011, 08:57 PM
IMHO best solution for home espresso short of a semi-pro set-up (think £800+ for machine and grinder).

lestabantam
17-03-2011, 09:30 PM
I've had the home espresso/cappuccino machines for years and found them to be pretty good and pretty cheap. The problem with a nespresso, or the Phillips one with the pads is that you have to buy your coffee from that manufacturer in that sachet their machine takes.

If you go with a simple espresso/cappuccino machine you cam put any old coffee in it. I recently scored a krups double machine, half filter/half espresso and a krups bean grinder for 20 quid at the local car boot, a fresh ground cappuccino from that is top notch! I had a go at roasting my own beans with surprisingly good results the other week.

I'm sure the nespresso is good and quick and easy. But there's a lot more scope for mucking about and
Experimenting if you go for something cheaper and more generic.

Just my 2p worth!

Struth
17-03-2011, 10:11 PM
I've had the home espresso/cappuccino machines for years and found them to be pretty good and pretty cheap. The problem with a nespresso, or the Phillips one with the pads is that you have to buy your coffee from that manufacturer in that sachet their machine takes.

If you go with a simple espresso/cappuccino machine you cam put any old coffee in it. I recently scored a krups double machine, half filter/half espresso and a krups bean grinder for 20 quid at the local car boot, a fresh ground cappuccino from that is top notch! I had a go at roasting my own beans with surprisingly good results the other week.

I'm sure the nespresso is good and quick and easy. But there's a lot more scope for mucking about and
Experimenting if you go for something cheaper and more generic.

Just my 2p worth!

Got an grinder, aeropress, french press,stovetop and a cheap espresso maker quite happy mucking about was really just thinking about simplicity of the Nespresso water, pod, cup, button and plug it in of course :coffee:

lestabantam
17-03-2011, 10:16 PM
Well I'm sure its a lot less fuss! I quite like the ritual of it all though.

Styler
18-03-2011, 12:04 AM
We got one at christmas and have loved it so far, the only thing is that I now drink even more coffee because of the convenience!

Struth
18-03-2011, 12:42 AM
We got one at christmas and have loved it so far, the only thing is that I now drink even more coffee because of the convenience!

what model did you get ? looking at the magimix citiz wife couldn't care about the coffee as long as it's the right colour where as it could be shit brown for me as long as the coffee's good.

Styler
18-03-2011, 09:29 AM
what model did you get ? looking at the magimix citiz wife couldn't care about the coffee as long as it's the right colour where as it could be shit brown for me as long as the coffee's good.

That is exactly what we got, it's noisy but I think they all are. You get ones with added milk frothers but we only ever take black coffee so just went for the standard one. I think it's a great machine for the price considering how expensive some of them are.

daverave999
18-03-2011, 09:39 AM
You can get refillable pods for both the Senseo and the Nespresso. Coffeeduck I think they're called.
I got my mother the Senseo one and she's very pleased that she can drink 'that lovely coffee I tried at yours' now.

Styler
18-03-2011, 10:04 AM
Thanks Dave, will have to give this coffeeduck a try. I did just read though that there is a different one (black instead of gold) for machines made post Oct 2010 so that's worth watching out for.

http://www.coffeeduckstore.nl/

Big_T_UK
18-03-2011, 11:48 AM
God....will write a long reply to this if I get the chance today.....

Deano
18-03-2011, 12:58 PM
Yep I recommend the Nespresso, picked a Krups unit up a couple of months back.

mb55317
18-03-2011, 05:22 PM
Hi guys,

I'm thinking of getting an espresso machine soon and have so far been looking at the Rancilio Silvia + Rancilio Rocky grinder (both i've read good things about) but a Nespresso could be a good alternative. I'm looking to make espresso and latte's. I wondered if those of you who already use Nespresso could share your experiences with regard to which machines are worth looking at and how they perform for making latte's?

Cheers..

MB

mb55317
18-03-2011, 05:39 PM
Just found this on YouTube which demo's the Nespresso quite well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKzoiccvaq4

monkey66
18-03-2011, 05:53 PM
Hi guys,

I'm thinking of getting an espresso machine soon and have so far been looking at the Rancilio Silvia + Rancilio Rocky grinder (both i've read good things about) but a Nespresso could be a good alternative. I'm looking to make espresso and latte's. I wondered if those of you who already use Nespresso could share your experiences with regard to which machines are worth looking at and how they perform for making latte's?

Cheers..

MB

This is the common entry point for 'real' espresso/cappuccino and Silvia/Rockey (with a little pactice) will vastly out perform any Netspresso machine (you will never make 'great' espresso with a netspresso or micro-foam milk for those creamy latte's). Matt, now you are on the slippery slope consider chatting to http://www.bellabarista.co.uk for some friendly advice on a serious home set-up.

mb55317
18-03-2011, 06:16 PM
Great thanks for the link Monkey, i'll check them out.. Cheers

Daize
18-03-2011, 07:03 PM
As I think many have said (haven't read all the posts); overpriced, and you can get just as good coffee from a real espresso machine (a good one mind you) + you are not limited in choice of coffee.

cohibaIV
18-03-2011, 08:54 PM
JEZ!!!
What's wrong with Gold Blend?!?!?

Superbrother
18-03-2011, 09:32 PM
God....will write a long reply to this if I get the chance today.....

Looking forward to it T. Positive or negative though?
Must admit I'm intruiged by these if only for the convenience aspect as it will allow me to have an espresso before work without waking half the house up with grinding, tamping and cleaning up afterwards.

Struth
18-03-2011, 11:22 PM
Looking forward to it T. Positive or negative though?
Must admit I'm intruiged by these if only for the convenience aspect as it will allow me to have an espresso before work without waking half the house up with grinding, tamping and cleaning up afterwards.

That's what I was getting at :coffeepaper:

monkey66
19-03-2011, 12:47 PM
As I think many have said (haven't read all the posts); overpriced, and you can get just as good coffee from a real espresso machine (a good one mind you) + you are not limited in choice of coffee.

Whilst Netspresso coffe is overpriced IMHO you cannot achieve good home coffee without going to a semi-pro set up (machine and grinder), freshly roasted beans, good water , practice (think 1 year for average home user) and £700-1000 minimum kit spend.

With this in mind a Netspresso machine is not such bad value.

senor_robusto
22-03-2011, 11:27 AM
hey all,
all this talk of nespresso machines has perked my interest!!! as much as i'm happy with my stovetop (can't complain, great results for a fiver), i'm still craving that kick of a good espresso at home!!! anyway, i've a shit load of overtime up this week due to working extra shifts and getting a double days pay for st paddy's day, so was gonna get one of these:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003L6ZOXI/ref=s9_simh_gw_p79_d2_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-6&pf_rd_r=14N8XM2DK54BTBDQMDVB&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128453&pf_rd_i=468294

.......and invest in some of these, so i can use my beloved machu picchu and cubita:
http://www.coffeeduck.com/uk_espressomovie.html

let me know what you guys reckon!!! looks the business to me......

alex

Struth
22-03-2011, 01:33 PM
Check for compatability on newer models with the coffeeduck gadget don't know if you like the odd latte or capuccino but comet are doing a machine and the aerocinno milk frother normally £50 on it's own for £129 http://www.comet.co.uk/p/Coffee-Makers/buy-MAGIMIX-11311-Coffee-Maker/679860

Superbrother
22-03-2011, 08:30 PM
I've been whinging about one of these since this thread was posted and it looks like the Mrs may be buying me one - fingers crossed!

Superbrother
25-03-2011, 08:09 PM
Got home from work and the Mrs had popped into Birmingham Selfridges to buy me one on the sly! :hail:
It's awesome!

More details tomorrow when I'll have chance to play around with it some.

Daize
25-03-2011, 10:02 PM
£700-1000 minimum kit spend.

No way Josť !
Had a Krupps for years that cost me all of 40 euros and did just great with it given decent coffee.

monkey66
26-03-2011, 08:09 AM
No way Josť !
Had a Krupps for years that cost me all of 40 euros and did just great with it given decent coffee.

It just depends on what one thinks good espresso is. For me if you want to constantly achieve sweet, complex espresso with clear identification of subtle flavours and great mouth-feel you must use a machine that can provide a consistent 8.5-9.5bar pressure throgugh the shot and a consistent and tweak-able temp of 92-95 DegC. You also need consistent steam pressure to achieve silky smooth micro-foam for great milk drinks. No domestic machine can achive any of these parameters.

If all you want is some strong dark espresso to add sugar to then a domestic machine will do fine (indeed a stove-top will also suffice). If you want to explore the world of fine espresso you need a serious set-up. I say again by far the best middle ground is Netspresso. I say this as an owner of three previous so-called good home machines (Gaggia, Krups, Dualitt) that in the realms of serious espresso were all poor.

Superbrother
26-03-2011, 09:02 AM
Well I just had the Brazilian pod "Dulcao" or something and it's up there with the very best bourbon espresso I managed to squeeze out of my Gaggia over the years.
Consider me a convert.

Superbrother
26-03-2011, 08:38 PM
Okay so I've had around six coffees out of my machine : http://www.nespresso.com/uk/en/product/citizandmilk-coffee-machine-magimix-white

Cappucino is effortless, Espresso is excellent and the different coffees are overall good quality. My Gaggia is now on Ebay, enough said. :smile:

Styler
05-04-2011, 11:30 AM
Glad you're enjoying it SB, I've been using mine more and more! I'd be interested to hear what people's favourite capsules are, I'm currently enjoying Indriya Espressos and Fortissio Lungos.

On my machine, you can tailor the size of the espresso and lungos, has anyone done this or is it sacrilege?

Does anyone put sugar in their espressos? I never do but I've heard a lot of people mention that they do.

Struth
05-04-2011, 02:29 PM
If you buy any machine before the 31st of May register with Nespresso for £40 credit towards capsuals,

Puff Scotty
05-04-2011, 04:43 PM
It just depends on what one thinks good espresso is. For me if you want to constantly achieve sweet, complex espresso with clear identification of subtle flavours and great mouth-feel you must use a machine that can provide a consistent 8.5-9.5bar pressure throgugh the shot and a consistent and tweak-able temp of 92-95 DegC. You also need consistent steam pressure to achieve silky smooth micro-foam for great milk drinks. No domestic machine can achive any of these parameters.

Spot on, Correct, Accurate & Succinct...

that Monkey knows his nuts... & his coffee :biggrin1:

Superbrother
05-04-2011, 05:22 PM
Glad you're enjoying it SB, I've been using mine more and more! I'd be interested to hear what people's favourite capsules are, I'm currently enjoying Indriya Espressos and Fortissio Lungos.

My fave by far is the Dulcao as it's a blend of bourbon espressos which were always my favourite beans to buy. I take an espresso shot of this with a half teaspoon of sugar.
Indriya is very good too and I get through quite a few Ristretto as they make a great base for cappucino.

Puff Scotty
05-04-2011, 05:32 PM
My fave by far is the Dulcao as it's a blend of bourbon espressos which were always my favourite beans to buy. I take an espresso shot of this with a half teaspoon of sugar.
Indriya is very good too and I get through quite a few Ristretto as they make a great base for cappucino.

You must be, to quote a colleague " billying yer tit's orf " with that amount of caffeine in you, you've only had the machine 9-10 days!! :rock:

Superbrother
30-07-2011, 06:35 PM
Bringing this thread back to the top.
4 months in and I still use my Nespresso daily, it's just awesome being able to fit in a quick espresso shot before work and a cappucino after work with minimal hassle and great results every single time.

Seriously people, if you are considering buying one I 100% recommend it.

Deano
31-07-2011, 09:27 AM
My aeroccino‏ broke recently and they replaced it instantly, great service.

senor_robusto
02-08-2011, 09:57 PM
what nespresso machines do you guys use?

amazon are doing a reasonable sounding deal on the krups essenza eco model (£80, normal rrp is £120 allegedly)!!! it gets a load of glowing reports....... i'm finding it hard to resist. lol!!! do you guys reckon it'll do the biz?:
nespresso krups essenza eco (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nespresso-Essenza-Krups-XN212040-Machine/dp/B003L6ZOXI/ref=sr_1_4?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1312321362&sr=1-4)or
(http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nespresso-Essenza-Krups-XN212040-Machine/dp/B003L6ZOXI/ref=sr_1_4?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1312321362&sr=1-4)nespresso krups essenza eco with aeroccino (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nespresso-Essenza-Krups-XN2120AP-Aeroccino/dp/B003H1JHF8/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1312323661&sr=1-1)

(http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nespresso-Essenza-Krups-XN212040-Machine/dp/B003L6ZOXI/ref=sr_1_4?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1312321362&sr=1-4)....... and i see coffeeduck have sorted the problem for any nespresso machines made after 2010!!! that sounds great for ground cubita coffee:
coffeeduck refillable capsules for nespresso machines post 2010

(http://shop.coffeeduck.com/coffeeduck-espresso-cup-new.html)a (http://shop.coffeeduck.com/coffeeduck-espresso-cup-new.html)lex

Superbrother
03-08-2011, 11:24 AM
I have this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nespresso-Magimix-M190-Machine-Limousine/dp/B001UE9H6S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312370746&sr=8-1

As far as I understand it the different Nespresso machines are purely aesthetic and they all give a decent result. I would definitely go for the aerocino too as it just makes cappucino so easy!

Deano
03-08-2011, 01:04 PM
I've got a silver version of that one. Definitely suggest people go for a black-ish one as the grey metallic look on mine is just plastic. Meh.

Definitely go for one with an aeroccino.

senor_robusto
12-08-2011, 09:34 AM
well folks, finally got my nespresso machine!!! it's the one i posted the link to above, the krupps essenza AP with aeroccino!!! £120 from amazon!!! i have to say, i'm chuffed 'ta f**k with it!!! all i need to see about getting is the new black coffeeduck refillable capsule so i can enjoy good cubita espressos!!!

alex

Struth
11-09-2011, 11:24 AM
Anybody tried the coffeeduck device heard mixed reviews