PDA

View Full Version : Beer fans

mackem keith
29-05-2011, 06:51 PM
Thought id start a thread to mention what is now my most favourite beer and spread the word. Im a big real ale and beer fan generally but ive made it my quest to find the best beer to compliment my cigars and i think ive found it and have been drinking nothing else beer wise for the last good few months.
The beer of choice is Innis & Gunn original (a scottish beer brewed in Edinburgh) taste wise it has an overwhelming flavour of toffee and vanilla this comes from the unique way which they age the beer in oak barrels prviously used to mature bourbon the finished product for me is excellent very very smooth and compliment mosts cigars great.
Some of the scots on the forum will have probably heard of it by now but its now starting to become available in my local morrisons supermarket so easily had if you want to try it.
I visisted Edinburgh not long back and being brewed there means its available in most pubs but in a variety of flavours depending on which barrel they age the beer in, i tried one which had been aged in oak barrels previously used to age Navy Rum and was bloody lovely..But id definately reccomend the original beer lovely tipple :biggrin1:
Anyhow its well worth a try if you fancy something different with your cigars.
Here is a link to the website for any interested :smile:
http://www.innisandgunn.com/index.htm

Stevieboy
29-05-2011, 07:27 PM
Hi Keith. I love the I&G range particularly the one you're in love with. I found a new pale ale version which was nearly 8% in strength!! Mind blowing and super tasty

Stevieboy
29-05-2011, 07:33 PM
....It wasn't the pale ale...it was rum cask. I found it in the cigar shop on The Royal Mile. Helluva price but well worth it...

mackem keith
29-05-2011, 08:09 PM
Agreed stevie i love the original beer but only found the rum cask on a recent trip to edinburgh pretty potent stuff but generally they are all high alcohol percentage but i honestly cant tell they dont taste strong in any way i just luuurrrve it :rock:

SmokeyDave
29-05-2011, 11:09 PM
Oooh gonna have to try some of this :cool:

Superbrother
20-06-2011, 06:23 PM
I spotted a few of the I&G beers in my local Sainbury's. Definitely going into my basket next time after reading this!
IPA and pale ales are my tipple of preference so the 8% one sounds like my bag.

senor_robusto
21-06-2011, 02:01 AM
........hey all, my local asda regularly do this on offer for 1 a bottle (the 3 different types), same offer as the stella cidre!!! if you ever read this post gary, it's the asda on the shore road........

alex

Stevieboy
21-06-2011, 06:41 AM
Alex are you saying I&G is only a quid?!? They're usually around the 1.60 mark....I'll need to frequent Asda more often :thumb:

senor_robusto
21-06-2011, 09:41 AM
yeah, it seems to be on offer, here in belfast, on a regular basis!!! the aspall's cider is normally on offer as well, instead of 1.70 a bottle, it's 3 for 3!!! the bacardi mojito and pina collada, both are 10 a bottle as opposed to 14 (as in tesco & sainsbury's)!!!

again, as superbro pointed out about the coole park irish cream liqueur offer that was on in sainsbury's recently, perhaps the offer is regional (don't reckon ale's and such are as popular over here as they are in, say england or scotland)!!!

alex

M1F2R3
21-06-2011, 11:59 AM
It's all about Foster's :P

Stevieboy
21-06-2011, 01:38 PM
It's all about Foster's :P

Wash yer mouth out!! :)

M1F2R3
21-06-2011, 01:44 PM
Wash yer mouth out!! :)

Haha! I'm a student! Foster's, 8 can's for 8.. bargain!

I must say, I do prefer Johnnie Walker Black Label to Foster's but it's cheap and cheerful!

Stevieboy
21-06-2011, 01:52 PM
Ah cmon now Rick. You can get far better beers for yer 8 quid than Fosters!!

Corona, Sol, San Miguel, Tiger, HOEGAARDEN (when on offer!!)

:)

M1F2R3
21-06-2011, 02:24 PM
Ah cmon now Rick. You can get far better beers for yer 8 quid than Fosters!!

Corona, Sol, San Miguel, Tiger, HOEGAARDEN (when on offer!!)

:)

I must say, I'm a big fan of both Corona and San Miguel. Might have a cheeky pint of San Mig tonight!

Styler
21-06-2011, 04:04 PM
Hmmm, I've had my fair share of I&G including 2 of the limited runs and I just find it too sweet and the more I drank it the more sickly I found the taste to be. I can't really drink it at all now!

Give me some Brewdog 5am Saint or Black Isle Blonde any day :)

monkey66
21-06-2011, 04:37 PM
I find myself drinking more Guinness in my old age, especially with sunshine and a nice stick.

Superbrother
21-06-2011, 06:34 PM
You can't beat a proper pint of the black stuff from a pub, it's just not the same from a can though.

pauldrums81
22-06-2011, 08:19 PM
Just picked up a couple of bottles of the I&G original from tesco to try. I love a proper beer! I had an amazing pint the other night called Bad Rabbit which is brewed by the church end brewery. Really dark and rich, it went very well with a party shorts.

Stevieboy
22-06-2011, 08:34 PM
I just find it too sweet and the more I drank it the more sickly I found the taste to be. I can't really drink it at all now!

I know what you mean S...too much and toffee takes over!!
For me the I&G range isn't for drinking all night. One or two early one before getting pissed to appreciate it lol

Non chill filtered
23-06-2011, 02:26 PM
Try the Double IPA Tescos finest range from Brewdog (Scotland) it is the shizzle. A few others worthy of a try are;
Weihenstephener - Wheat beer -Germany
Sierra Nevada- Pale ale-USA
Duvel - Belgium
Chimay (any)- Trappists beer from Belgium.
P.S
It helps if you have the correct glass also e,g
Goblet for the Chimay
German beer glass for Weihenstephaner
Large tulip glass for Duvel.

M1F2R3
24-06-2011, 06:34 PM
The weekend is looking decent (weather wise), I'll think that I will get some Tiger beer in and perhaps some fruity Fruli. I'm a big fan of Fruli, it's not overly strong but it is an award winning beer. I've only tried the Strawberry flavour but it's fantastic on a summers day. Highly recommend to those who haven't tried it. I believe Tesco is the cheapest seller and you can find it on tab in most bars.

Superbrother
25-06-2011, 05:09 PM
I tried the I&G standard & blonde last night. Very unusual!
They both had overt oak notes and a touch of smoke, almost like Macallan.
Not sure if I'd buy them again as I prefer a more traditional light ale.

Now for a 750ml bottle of Meantime IPA - bring it on!

Pleevy
28-06-2011, 11:37 PM
The Crouch Vale Amarillo is a real gem, quite pale and very fruity. Did an internet search and found out its brewed 5 minutes up the road in South Woodham. If you are ever in the Essex area i recommend The Lion Inn of Boreham, Its a great pub/restaurant. Food is fairly priced for the quality and they have Amarillo on tap, absolute win.

beebon
26-07-2011, 05:48 PM
I love beer. One of my favourite ales is a cornish one made at Sharpe's Brewery called Doom Bar. It's not too strong alcohol wise but it packs a lot of taste in a clean hoppy kind of way. Yum!!!

Simon-JG-hr
26-07-2011, 07:00 PM
An excellent session ale that Doom Bar stuff... :beer: But for how much longer? Since Molson-Coors took over Sharp's, the brewery has started to lose its character and has already cancelled at least one 'club' beer in Plymouth. Can't be long until they start playing around with the 'recipe' to make it more profitable... But then I am a cynic...

beebon
26-07-2011, 07:50 PM
I sincerely hope they don't change it. It's very popular amongst many people including those who know their beer.

Sharp's Special is nice too if you like your ale a little stronger!

tippexx
27-07-2011, 03:45 PM
[QUOTE=Styler;143909] and I just find it too sweet and the more I drank it the more sickly I found the taste to be.

+1. I tried an I&G and agree. Maybe I don't have much of a sweet tooth, I prefer something dryer and find Peroni Gran Reserva fits the bill a treat. Otherwise cold Guinness pretty much gets a thumbs-up!

sjdawes73
02-09-2011, 10:36 AM
I also enjoy the I & G range, very nice with a stick.Also a big fan of the Fullers range, ESB, Porter etc.

snooky
02-09-2011, 11:21 PM
The Doombar ale is quality beer they sell it at my local the White Hart Moreton along with Adnams another top notch Ale.:849:
www.whitehartinnmoreton.com (http://www.whitehartinnmoreton.com)