PDA

View Full Version : Getting A Whiff...

Robusto
03-08-2008, 10:54 PM
When you are out and about in a town and you get a slipstream whiff of a good cigar, does it drive you nuts? And what do you do?

I'd been playing for three hours this late afternoon at a reasonable club. When we were carrying out the PA after the gig - arms lifting heavy speakers, and so on - I had to walk past/through the banished smokers on the steep steps of the club.

And then I got a whiff... and I knew it was a Cohiba.

I don't know what you guys do, but my nostrils flair. Not quite like Kenneth Williams... but I go on to red alert and try to spot where it's coming from, and who's working it.

This time it was a guy who had seen us play. I congratulated him on his smoke, and said it made me hungry. (To be frank, I wished he'd offered me a toke, but it didn't come).

I've had the same thing in reverse. The best time was in a pub in Bruges, Belgium, when several guys at a nearby table came over to inspect my cigar and congratulate me on my choice. (Another Cohiba moment).

My wife finds this 'bonding' between cigar smokers very bizarre!

In reverse, I cannot stand people who react the other way and who start going on about you smoking outside a cafe, for example. It's completely legitimate, yet some folk think they can behave like Nazis. I wish they'd react to the cigarette smokers.
There are one or two makes of British cigarettes that smell to me like a mixture of Duraglit... and shit. They don't smell natural and alive like good cigars.

The Cohiba moment today excited my senses. It's a beautiful thing, and I wondered if any of you also become like Exocets seeking out the scent source of a beautiful Cuban when it smacks your nostrils up? :)

Montesmoke
04-08-2008, 02:31 PM
When you are out and about in a town and you get a slipstream whiff of a good cigar, does it drive you nuts? And what do you do?

I'd been playing for three hours this late afternoon at a reasonable club. When we were carrying out the PA after the gig - arms lifting heavy speakers, and so on - I had to walk past/through the banished smokers on the steep steps of the club.

And then I got a whiff... and I knew it was a Cohiba.

I don't know what you guys do, but my nostrils flair. Not quite like Kenneth Williams... but I go on to red alert and try to spot where it's coming from, and who's working it.

This time it was a guy who had seen us play. I congratulated him on his smoke, and said it made me hungry. (To be frank, I wished he'd offered me a toke, but it didn't come).

I've had the same thing in reverse. The best time was in a pub in Bruges, Belgium, when several guys at a nearby table came over to inspect my cigar and congratulate me on my choice. (Another Cohiba moment).

My wife finds this 'bonding' between cigar smokers very bizarre!

In reverse, I cannot stand people who react the other way and who start going on about you smoking outside a cafe, for example. It's completely legitimate, yet some folk think they can behave like Nazis. I wish they'd react to the cigarette smokers.
There are one or two makes of British cigarettes that smell to me like a mixture of Duraglit... and shit. They don't smell natural and alive like good cigars.

The Cohiba moment today excited my senses. It's a beautiful thing, and I wondered if any of you also become like Exocets seeking out the scent source of a beautiful Cuban when it smacks your nostrils up? :)

Yes its happened to me a few times when i have been out, a few months back went to a pub in london & was having a JD & coke, & could smell cigar smoke coming from behind me, i noticed this guy smoking a large cigar & wanted to know what it was, so i basically asked him, it was a Por larranaga Magnifico one of my favourite cigars & quite expensive.
He said that he likes the cohiba siglo series so we chatted for a short while, i asked him how much he paid for it he said ?27 each from a tobacco outlet off the west end shervingtons.
Another time was about a year ago was out again & saw this guy smoking what looked like a partagas serie d no4 i asked him what it was he was smoking & i was right, i told him i was also into cubans, he only offered me one at first i said no too generous, but he insisted, so i accepted, what a generous chap indeed:)
Monte.

Robusto
04-08-2008, 06:28 PM
What a great cigar to be gifted like that! :D

smokiejoe
05-08-2008, 10:39 PM
That kind of thing does drive you nuts,as soon as you smell the wiff of a good cigar the brain sends all sorts of signals saying or shall i say telling you to get a cigar and pop it in your mouth and light up.What is it with the smell that drives ya nuts,,,,TOTALY............

Montesmoke
05-08-2008, 10:40 PM
Cant beat the fine smell of a cigar:)

Willie1
30-10-2008, 01:57 AM
lmao, I've had this happen a few times, and it always happens when I'm away from the house and/or have no cigars left or with me and I really hate when that happens, but it's good at the same time because when you get home, a good stogie is enjoyed all the more :41:

Willie :smoke:

RhiannonBW
30-10-2008, 08:54 AM
I remember camping out in the middle of nowhere in Scotland a couple of years ago. It was a fine Summer's night, and we'd had some great food and some great drink, and I really, really, really, fancied a cigar, but alas, was cigarless.

However, the Gods will always provide, and I caught a whiff of a cigar on the breeze, followed my nose and found a fellow enjoying a quiet cigar by a fire, and he just happened to have a spare cigar.

Of course, I repaid his generosity the next day after a trip to Edinburgh to get a couple of good stogies.

Rhiannon

Montesmoke
30-10-2008, 04:07 PM
lmao, I've had this happen a few times, and it always happens when I'm away from the house and/or have no cigars left or with me and I really hate when that happens, but it's good at the same time because when you get home, a good stogie is enjoyed all the more :41:

Willie :smoke:

Indeed willie:smoke:

SmokinCohibas
30-10-2008, 05:22 PM
I run to the closest wine shop If I really want a cigar when I am out.
Sometimes though it takes a bit of a running from shop to shop - till I find one that sells cigars and they badly damage your wallet for a stick anyway- but hey you only live once :smoke:

It's OK because it does not happen to me that often:biggrin1:

cohibaIV
30-10-2008, 05:24 PM
I remember camping out in the middle of nowhere in Scotland a couple of years ago. It was a fine Summer's night, and we'd had some great food and some great drink, and I really, really, really, fancied a cigar, but alas, was cigarless.

However, the Gods will always provide, and I caught a whiff of a cigar on the breeze, followed my nose and found a fellow enjoying a quiet cigar by a fire, and he just happened to have a spare cigar.

Of course, I repaid his generosity the next day after a trip to Edinburgh to get a couple of good stogies.

Rhiannon

How lucky was that Rhiannon...:41:

Bet you won't forget to take cigars next time...:rolleyes:

Willie1
30-10-2008, 11:24 PM
I run to the closest wine shop If I really want a cigar when I am out.
Sometimes though it takes a bit of a running from shop to shop - till I find one that sells cigars and they badly damage your wallet for a stick anyway- but hey you only live once :smoke:

It's OK because it does not happen to me that often:biggrin1:

Aint that the friggin truth, I remember about 4/5 years ao, I used to buy a Balmoral tubos from the liquor store around the corner from the pool hall where I used to play, and they charged ?6.50 per stick.

Willie

Montesmoke
31-10-2008, 10:28 AM
Oh dear:cowboyic9: