Finally ventured into the pipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally ventured into the pipe

After deliberating for months about buying a pipe I've finally got there. I think, really, the main reason for not having done it earlier is the frowns and scowls I will get from my wife. I doubt very much that I'll stick to a one-a-week pipe time like I do with cigars, and this will raise a whole new wave of complaints.
    Anyway, I thought I would start at the lower end of the price range (just in case I don't get on with it) with a corncob jobbie. I got a few samples but haven't the foggiest if they are the right choice. I guess it's all part of the experience.
    pipe capture.JPG

Cannot go wrong with those prices. Might have a go myself!
    Humidor: Adorini Genova Deluxe
    Humidification: Le Veil Digital Cigar Humidifier

Comment

Time for a name change??

In all seriousness, good on you! All my pipes are estate ones except for my first pipe. Got all sorts and just really love Brigham. Maple Filters always reduce heat which I find is necessary when it comes to pipes.

But to each his own so seee what you like out of your first basic pipes. Then seee about adaptations to the stem or bowl or even wood that would help you adapt to the smoke.
      After the corncob, get yourself a nice standard briar wood for 15 or so pounds and start there. It'll be your first actual pipe.
      I haven't touched my first pipe ever since I found my sweet spot. I'm still experimenting with other pipes besides brighams though. You always have to!

Oh and another necessary note. Get yourself a Czech tool for a pound and a soft flame lighter later on. When I first started, I used a torch to light pieces of cedar and used that to light my pipe.

Never use BIC, zippo as they ruin the taste (of course). And never use torches cause they ruin the bowl!!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9100 using Tapatalk
      Originally posted by ValeTudoGuy
      Marc's a Fat Molly
      Click here for a fun, relevant song!

Comment

Originally posted by butternutsquashpie View Post
        Time for a name change??

In all seriousness, good on you! All my pipes are estate ones except for my first pipe. Got all sorts and just really love Brigham. Maple Filters always reduce heat which I find is necessary when it comes to pipes.

But to each his own so seee what you like out of your first basic pipes. Then seee about adaptations to the stem or bowl or even wood that would help you adapt to the smoke.
        After the corncob, get yourself a nice standard briar wood for 15 or so pounds and start there. It'll be your first actual pipe.
        I haven't touched my first pipe ever since I found my sweet spot. I'm still experimenting with other pipes besides brighams though. You always have to!

Oh and another necessary note. Get yourself a Czech tool for a pound and a soft flame lighter later on. When I first started, I used a torch to light pieces of cedar and used that to light my pipe.

Never use BIC, zippo as they ruin the taste (of course). And never use torches cause they ruin the bowl!!

Thanks for the advice, Squash.

Comment

Corn cobs are better than cheap briar, so good choice. If you use the zippo in a black can and burn the flame for a second or so zippo lighters are great with no taste. If the smoke is hot slow down.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4
          The new charity auction: http://www.ukcigarforums.com/showthr...lighter-raffle

Comment

great selection of tobacco, you can't go wrong with peterson's IMO!! sherlock holmes is a favourite of mine, as is nutty cut, luxury blend and old dublin!!

did you get from the smoke king? his samples are fantastic and cheap...... it's the best way to try different tobaccos without costing a fortune!!

alex

Comment

Originally posted by senor_robusto View Post
              great selection of tobacco, you can't go wrong with peterson's IMO!! sherlock holmes is a favourite of mine, as is nutty cut, luxury blend and old dublin!!

did you get from the smoke king? his samples are fantastic and cheap...... it's the best way to try different tobaccos without costing a fortune!!

alex
              Yes, from Smoke King. I thought the site was very good.

Comment

Pipe 2.jpgPipe 3.jpgPipe 4.jpgPipe 5.jpg

Got me pipe through the post today. Should have come yesterday but wife was in the garden when the postman came - you can imagine my disappointment after I hurried home after a 12hr day to find the red and white card telling of a parcel that couldn't be delivered. Happens all the time. Do they wait around the corner?

Anyway, I was very surprised at how different the whole experience is to smoking cigars. The draw is very loose, the taste is completely different, the aroma is completely different... it's just different. A bit like comparing snooker to golf - both involve knocking a ball into a hole with a stick but very different games on very different terrain.

I tried the Peterson Sherlock Holmes and discovered that it doesn't taste like baccy, more like... dunno, just not baccy. I have since read some reviews on this tobacco and, like so many others, found it lacked fullness and clout. It is sort of very easy going with a sweet, aromatic taste that reminded me of some sweets I used to eat as a child, and the inflatable dingy I was bobbing about Coniston Lake in last week.

On the whole, I enjoyed the twenty minutes of smoking a pipe for the very first time, and was very pleased to have packed the pipe in such a way that prevented any need for relights. Great stuff.

Looking at the hundreds and hundreds of pipe tobaccos about, does anyone know of a tobacco that more 'straight' tobacco as opposed to all the flavour thing going on, like vanilla, rum, coconut etc?

Comment

Pipe 2.jpg Pipe 3.jpg Pipe 4.jpg Pipe 5.jpg

Got me pipe through the post today. Should have come yesterday but wife was in the garden when the postman came - you can imagine my disappointment after I hurried home after a 12hr day to find the red and white card telling of a parcel that couldn't be delivered. Happens all the time. Do they wait around the corner?

Anyway, I was very surprised at how different the whole experience is to smoking cigars. The draw is very loose, the taste is completely different, the aroma is completely different... it's just different. A bit like comparing snooker to golf - both involve knocking a ball into a hole with a stick but very different games on very different terrain.

I tried the Peterson Sherlock Holmes and discovered that it doesn't taste like baccy, more like... dunno, just not baccy. I have since read some reviews on this tobacco and, like so many others, found it lacked fullness and clout. It is sort of very easy going with a sweet, aromatic taste that reminded me of some sweets I used to eat as a child, and the inflatable dingy I was bobbing about Coniston Lake in last week.

On the whole, I enjoyed the twenty minutes of smoking a pipe for the very first time, and was very pleased to have packed the pipe in such a way that prevented any need for relights. Great stuff.

Looking at the hundreds and hundreds of pipe tobaccos about, does anyone know of a tobacco that more 'straight' tobacco as opposed to all the flavour thing going on, like vanilla, rum, coconut etc?

Comment

Davidoff Blue. That shite's just fantastic.

And Caos various blends.
                    I find those quite reminiscent of a good cigar (so not Cao! Har Har Har, i kidd). I too don't like the favoured ones so cigar brand tobacco is the way to go for me. Of course i make my own blends for pipe smoking, so i don't know TOO many brand names or commercial types. But those two are the only ones i'll say FOR SURE to go for.
                    Marc's a Fat Molly

Comment

Originally posted by butternutsquashpie View Post
                      Davidoff Blue. That shite's just fantastic.

And Caos various blends.
                      I find those quite reminiscent of a good cigar (so not Cao! Har Har Har, i kidd). I too don't like the favoured ones so cigar brand tobacco is the way to go for me. Of course i make my own blends for pipe smoking, so i don't know TOO many brand names or commercial types. But those two are the only ones i'll say FOR SURE to go for.
                      Squashyman, is the blue for pipe or rollies?
                      Anyway, now that the newness if the pipe is going the whole pipe smoking thing is rather nice, isn't it? I can feel the nicotine during the second bowl... there again, it might be the bottle of red I've just quaffed.

image-2046779871.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by mrcigar View Post
                        Squashyman, is the blue for pipe or rollies?
                        [ATTACH]13200[/ATTACH]
                        Can't seee pics on mobile but might be: https://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend...PHA=B&TID=3637

Anyways. I can't seem to find the old tin anymore so I can't find it
                        should really get another one. I've been only smoking homemade Cuban blends nowadays...

Marc's a Fat Molly

Comment

Smoking a bowl of Condor Long Cut. Really enjoying the fuller, more powerful, taste. Get a soapiness occasionally, but it's quite a pleasant characteristic.
                          No tongue bite yet and the burn is cool with a good amount of rich smoke. Very little moisture collecting in the stem too.
                          I do prefer this to the Peterson simples I bought, as I do the Mellow Virginia Ready Rubbed, which is lighter and sweeter.
                          I do like this pipe smoking thing, it's very pleasant.
                          Fabulous stuff

Comment

Working...
                          X