PDA

View Full Version : Help from our far Northern brothers.

ValeTudoGuy
18-11-2014, 06:36 PM
I'm hoping some of our Scottish members could give me some suggestions for recipes for a Burns night party I'm planning.

So what's the best way to do Haggis Neep's and Tatties? The best way to prepare Atholl Brose? And a good recipe for Cranachan?
Any other suggestions of traditional treats welcome.

cj121
18-11-2014, 06:38 PM
This'll be interesting, nice thread:thumb:

oskihen
18-11-2014, 06:39 PM
Showing my southern ignorance to the subtleties of Scottish cuisine but what's athol brose

ValeTudoGuy
18-11-2014, 06:45 PM
It's like Bailey's but better. I think you soak oats in whisky and extract the creamy liquid run Off. Though I'm sure I Will be put right shortly.

oskihen
18-11-2014, 06:47 PM
Sounds lovely anything to do with alcohol especially infusions is right up my street

Wigan
18-11-2014, 06:59 PM
I`m English mate :rock:

mightyred
18-11-2014, 07:04 PM
Same here

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Wigan
18-11-2014, 07:05 PM
Plus 60 per cent of Aberdeen, the rest is Polish lol

Wigan
18-11-2014, 07:53 PM
Texted a few people for advice and about the only thing I have back so far is the rather crap response of "I just recipes of the internet". I will perceive for you however. I do however believe your supposed to boil haggis in the bag. Not much I know but a start :smile:

ValeTudoGuy
18-11-2014, 08:13 PM
:) thanks, I wonder if Burns Night is still big in Scotland? lol

Wigan
18-11-2014, 08:20 PM
Much bigger in England. Fact!

rascal
18-11-2014, 08:33 PM
Much bigger in England. Fact!

mmm, Strange that you would think the celebration of a scots nationalist would be bigger in england than scotland. Though maybe its a case of people not really understanding what they celebrate. Most be people think christmas is about a fat man in a red suit (Thank you coke-cola)

Wigan
18-11-2014, 08:48 PM
Going off sales of haggis for the celebration of burns night.

mightyred
18-11-2014, 08:56 PM
Im surprised he's such a hero up here as he was a tax collector for the English.

Ross.Co
18-11-2014, 08:57 PM
mmm, Strange that you would think the celebration of a scots nationalist would be bigger in england than scotland. Though maybe its a case of people not really understanding what they celebrate. Most be people think christmas is about a fat man in a red suit (Thank you coke-cola)
Saint Nicholas...?

I used to have the haggis being paraded into the dining hall with bag pipes playing!

cigarmo
18-11-2014, 09:00 PM
Saint Nicholas...?

I used to have the haggis being paraded into the dining hall with bag pipes playing!

Are you Scottish ?

butternutsquashpie
18-11-2014, 10:42 PM
Most be people think christmas is about a fat man in a red suit (Thank you coke-cola)

Celebrations change as culture evolves, dunnit?
We worship the God of Free stuff and make sacrifices, rituals, etc in hopes we get a return.

I can argue that the true meaning of Christmas is about pleasing the Germanic forest Gods to bring us good weather and not bring perdition to our cities.
But then I would just be arguing for the sake of arguing :lol:

My point is that if Atheists in America take the Christmas break off, who do they thank for this? Jesus? The Church? The forest gods? Santa Claus?
Might as well thank the more recent creation.

Sent from the Enigma on Tapatalk for BlackBerry.

Wigan
18-11-2014, 10:46 PM
Heard a story there was quite a smuggling trade in black market Scottish haggis in Canada when the whole CJD thing came about. Internet nonsense or did you know anything about it?

(Who am I kidding, course your going to know something thing about it! lol)

Sean
19-11-2014, 08:19 AM
:) thanks, I wonder if Burns Night is still big in Scotland? lol

Should just open open a nice few bottles of single malt and by the time they have had a few they won't notice the food:41:

EdBlackadder
19-11-2014, 09:56 AM
Haggis is best in the oven, I've always enjoyed it cooked in a roasting tin with about an inch of boiling water in the bottom covered with foil. Basically steams over an hour or so. Make sure not to pierce the skin, that comes on the table after addressing the haggis. Boiled and mashed neeps (swede to you southern heathens) with plenty of butter and pepper. Simple whisky cream sauce is really nice but not sure how traditional it is.

Never had Atholl Brose so can't help there.

If anyone is a bit reluctant to try haggis its really tasty and actually so is vegetarian haggis, so don't be afraid to dig in. McSween is readily available and really tasty.