PDA

View Full Version : Do any members here play the guitar?

Simon G
08-12-2014, 02:54 PM
Hi all :smile:

I'm really in to my 80s/90's rock & metal.
I happened to come across a few electric guitar covers on the old Youtube that players posted,
and they've got me REALLY inspired to try and learn the guitar…

I'd be learning my favs to begin with.
But ultimately I need to start from the basics -
having ZERO musical instrument experience.
I'm a hand's on guy, not afraid to get stuck in manually.
I know it'll be a time thing, but does anyone play on here?
Any advice on what to start up with, guitar and amp wise?
What is your history & experiences?

Many thanks
:rock:

mightyred
08-12-2014, 03:32 PM
I'm extremely proficient on the Air guitar

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Drewmidorn
08-12-2014, 03:39 PM
I play the guitar a little bit. I learnt from listening to records and trying to work it all out. Jump in with both feet. Buy a cheap electric and an amp and a chord book. The Squire guitars and cheap yamahas are a good starting place. Good luck.

Scott
08-12-2014, 03:59 PM
Cannot stop thinking about jokes relating to "strumming my banjo cord" and the like. [emoji13]

Simon G
08-12-2014, 04:19 PM
Put your curly clockworks away Mr.Lovegood. This is not the time or the place...

:lol:

jim_twin
08-12-2014, 04:27 PM
I have a ukulele [emoji3] like you a complete beginner, it's good fun and I went for a ukulele over a guitar as it only has 4 strings [emoji6]

I'm sure there are musically talented guys knocking about on here!

Simon G
08-12-2014, 04:34 PM
Cheers Jim.
Will wait for members to come across my little thread :smile:

PeeJay
08-12-2014, 04:39 PM
I'm extremely proficient on the Air guitar

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Do you play with yourself? :wink:

oskihen
08-12-2014, 04:49 PM
Hi all [emoji2]

I happened to come across a few electric guitar covers on the old Youtube that players posted,

Many thanks
Been playing about 15 years self taught mainly acoustic, mandolin, ukulele and dobro bottle neck , my advice a year of real determination 20 mins every day and you'll be sorted .

PeeJay
08-12-2014, 04:56 PM
Changing the subject slightly, whilst on holiday one evening the entertainment was provided by this local guitarist who played the best Santana I have heard outside Carlos himself which goes to show how much untapped talent there is out there :thrasher:

ValeTudoGuy
08-12-2014, 05:15 PM
I have been considering having another crack at learning. I have been told about a learning aid on PlayStation or Xbox called Rocksmith which allows you to plug an electric guitar in and it takes you through step by step and adapts to your ability.

butternutsquashpie
08-12-2014, 05:54 PM
I've got a few years on my back... One year paused and I took up the bass. Sold that after one year. 2 years later and I took up the violin. Gave that up a while back, too.

Now working on the Banjo. Had that for three years now. Going strong :)

oskihen
08-12-2014, 06:10 PM
I've got a few years on my back... One year paused and I took up the bass. Sold that after one year. 2 years later and I took up the violin. Gave that up a while back, too.

How's the clawhammer going

butternutsquashpie
08-12-2014, 06:39 PM
Better than originally thought. I have 4 custom, metal fingerpicks that I have to occasionally bend to suit my fingers.

It was almost natural to me as I do a lot of classical guitar. The only issue is the extra string on top that I have to kick the habit.

PeeJay
08-12-2014, 06:41 PM

That so needed a ninja picture!

oskihen
08-12-2014, 06:46 PM
Better than originally thought. I have 4 custom, metal fingerpicks that I have to occasionally bend to suit my fingers.

It was almost natural to me as I do a lot of classical guitar. The only issue is the extra string on top that I have to kick the habit.
It's a great instrument bloody noisy though isn't it when your learning lol

butternutsquashpie
08-12-2014, 07:04 PM
It's a great instrument bloody noisy though isn't it when your learning lol
nope! Just don't get a resonator. My banjo is just a pigskin tarp over a makeshift drum with the strings strung.

The resonator is the backplate meant to make it super loud (and super expensive). For home playing only, I suggest one without a resonator that should cost only 100-200 quid.

oskihen
08-12-2014, 07:06 PM
nope! Just don't get a resonator. My banjo is just a pigskin tarp over a makeshift drum with the strings strung.

The resonator is the backplate meant to make it super loud (and super expensive). For home playing only, I suggest one without a resonator that should cost only 100-200 quid.
I know what a resonator is I've got a resonator guitar and a banjo myself

Wigan
08-12-2014, 07:46 PM

Started when you was about 8?

butternutsquashpie
08-12-2014, 07:48 PM
Started when you was about 8?
I wish I started at 8... :frown:

cj121
08-12-2014, 08:08 PM
I play the guitar a little bit. I learnt from listening to records and trying to work it all out. Jump in with both feet. Buy a cheap electric and an amp and a chord book. The Squire guitars and cheap yamahas are a good starting place. Good luck.

Yes, you do play a little but don't you:rock::biggrin:

handlebarpipe
08-12-2014, 11:13 PM
Strum a guitar occasionally, very badly and even if it is not generally appreciated by others around me who may overhear the noise I make, it can be very enjoyable.
Marc

cigarmo
08-12-2014, 11:15 PM
I have a guitar, cant figure out how to play it though and the strings hurt my fingers :frown:

Edamski
09-12-2014, 01:26 AM
Yeah I play, quite poorly it must be said.

Too answer your question get one of the Fender starter kits. Don't get one of the cheap imitations (like I did) get the actual fender one and then either do it yourself or take it too a local guy (won't be expensive) and get it setup properly first of all. Makes a world of difference. As in unplayable too playable depend on how bad it was.

Then as mentioned a little often is the way too go. I tried a few books and DVDs but I learned best when I got myself some lessons. I could bounce ideas of them and ask questions much more my style.

To sort of answer VTG's question yes it's called rock smith and yes it's damn good. Wish I hadn't sold it [emoji20] I'd already been playing a while when I got it and it did make me better, whilst I was playing but I didn't memorise any of the songs so I was still hopeless once I tried again later haha

These are my babies

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/08/ae5bb86a35ca838b64b99840c271e72d.jpg

Ibanez RGR 220 I got off a very good friend of mine on my 21st
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/08/2e678c1000c815c287dee7423dc79b1a.jpg

Beautiful colour too it

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/08/340e36125dab73670a568e9f609cb89a.jpg

And an ESP LTD Deluxe EC1000 which I bought myself as a belated 21st birthday present (for my 22nd birthday)

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/08/d7c57e7d64b9bdfa1ab5739df071403d.jpg

And the one that got away...

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/08/af72d44a52066400b4ff2b33db26cbb7.jpg

Anyway enough about me haha

Wigan
09-12-2014, 01:54 AM
That was a nice little insight into your world there. Trying to make out book titles and is that Technic LEGO?

butternutsquashpie
09-12-2014, 06:18 AM
And the one that got away...

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/08/af72d44a52066400b4ff2b33db26cbb7.jpg
Is that an Ibanez S Prestige?

I have the regular S320 class. I've found it better than the 420. Just a much better feel and significantly better pick-ups.
I also have a mid-90s S520. Have two Air Nortons on this baby...

Ibanez S class are my favourite guitars. Love the feel.
I had an RG2550 Prestige a while back but just didn't feel it. Ended up selling it off which I don't regret at all.

Here's a picture that i seem to keep posting on this forum:
21249:

Left: Ibanez S320. Middle: Ibanez S520. Right: Ibanez Artcore AF.
Centre: Cleavus :)

Simon G
09-12-2014, 09:08 AM
Wow - loving the look of your RGR Edamski!
Thanks for the feedback.
Great pic too Butters.
Cheers lads. Yes v tempted to 'buy n try'…
I love the electric guitar in rock & metal…
SO SO tempted to get a guitar & amp and maybe follow tutorials on Youtube etc,
see how I get on. Learn the basics, get familiar with the strings & chords before
attempting to learn songs I love :)
I just hope my memory can hack remembering all the chords etc :lol:
Not got the best of memories. Terrible remembering numbers etc.

There's a guitar shop not far from where I live, so I must make the effort to go there
and have a nosey. Get chatting with the assistant hopefully on a positive 'note'.

…pardon the pun

ValeTudoGuy
09-12-2014, 10:28 AM
At some pint in my life I would love a classic Fender Strat and a classic Gibson Les Paul even just to have them as display pieces even if I never learn to play.

Harry M
09-12-2014, 10:38 AM
Hi there, Have been playing bass since i was about 9 years old and lead for about 6 years. Learning to play the guitar really is not as hard as you may believe but as you said is rather time consuming. Depending on what your favs are will have an effect on what amp and guitar you get. However the quality of beginner guitars is so good now that you cant go wrong as long as it is a good company such as fender, Yamaha or epiphone are all good and many more. Let me know what bands and stuff you listen to then maybe i can recommend a starter pack for you.

Simon G
09-12-2014, 10:55 AM
Thanks Harry!

Well my fav songs come from Def Leppard (Hysteria, Pyromania, Adrenalize albums)
Then there's GNR, Motley Crue, Iron Maiden, a bit of Ratt, Bulletboys, KIX, Helix, to name a few…
A mix of 80's and 90's.

Currently researching, researching and doing more research lol,
currently like the look of the Jackson models, i.e the Dinky

Any advice GREATLY appreciated.
Hands are smallish, fingers aren't long and slim.
But not short and stubby, lol

Harry M
09-12-2014, 11:14 AM
Thanks Harry!

Well my fav songs come from Def Leppard (Hysteria, Pyromania, Adrenalize albums)
Then there's GNR, Motley Crue, Iron Maiden, a bit of Ratt, Bulletboys, KIX, Helix, to name a few…
A mix of 80's and 90's.

Currently researching, researching and doing more research lol,
currently like the look of the Jackson models, i.e the Dinky

Any advice GREATLY appreciated.
Hands are smallish, fingers aren't long and slim.
But not short and stubby, lol

I personally love Jacksons, you can pick a dinky up for about £130 and can get some killer tones if paired with the right amp. i have a Jackson pro 8 string which is amazing for the price i paid. Amp wise i would go for a modelling amp, they have pre-sets which make them sound like bigger more expensive amps such as Marshall or fender etc. I would suggest either looking at the Roland Cube series or the line 6 spider series, both cool little amps with a lot of power and options to play around with.
But most of all it is to get a guitar that looks good to you as it will make you want to pick it up more often!
And if you do take up the hobby i can not recommend this site enough, http://www.songsterr.com/

Simon G
09-12-2014, 11:48 AM
Hah hah I agree about the look of the guitar!

Someone mentioned the following, with regards to the amp:

"Get one with distortion & reverb"

What's this about Harry?

Simon G
09-12-2014, 11:54 AM
Ah great link bud!

Wow…
I think you're gonna become my 'go to' for guitar Q's Harry :lol:

Hope you don't mind!

Also ---

I found on the net a pedal, I know there are quite a few around,
it's an american built one called the: Suhr Riot pedal

have you heard of it and seen what it can do?
It produces serious metal sound (found in RATT songs)
Amazing little piece of kit...

Harry M
09-12-2014, 11:59 AM
Well you have a clean tone which is the amp normally, then distortion is what gives you your metal tone. Reverb is a big part of the tone you are looking for. The amps i mentioned have both clean and distorted tones built in. I have added a link to a few YouTube videos that may help you pick an amp and guitar. Hope they help!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI5p79rDr0M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfMrFmA80uo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erKaCn2wgLw

Edamski
09-12-2014, 12:00 PM
Haha those books are a mixture of mine, my brothers, dads and granddads [emoji4]

No it's old school mecano haha

It is indeed an S butters can't remember what model now, certainly wasn't a prestige though. Blasted thing went up about £150 in price not long after I sold it (doesn't sound much but I paid £220 in the first place) it was a lovely guitar to play but it just sounded too light wish I kept it all the same now. Nice collection dude!

Cheers Simon. Most people ask is it a left hander haha! Harry is correct I meant too say buy a branded starter fender was just the first one to come to mind [emoji4]

Also electric is easier to play than acoustic but you'll be a better player ok acoustic as for it too sound right you've gotta be spot on with your fingers where electric you can get away with being a little sloppier especially once you add your effects in (distortion and so on)

I've got quite small hands and didn't find some of the chords a struggle at first but repeatedly trying it opened my hands up and getting a 24 feet guitar helped as well as they're all ever so slightly smaller.

I've got a Spider III amp and it's a cracker just a little large. If you have the space for a full size amp is recommend it as most small amps aren't much good

Simon G
09-12-2014, 12:00 PM
Good man Harry - gonna check the links out!

Harry M
09-12-2014, 12:04 PM
Haha those books are a mixture of mine, my brothers, dads and granddads [emoji4]

No it's old school mecano haha

It is indeed an S butters can't remember what model now, certainly wasn't a prestige though. Blasted thing went up about £150 in price not long after I sold it (doesn't sound much but I paid £220 in the first place) it was a lovely guitar to play but it just sounded too light wish I kept it all the same now. Nice collection dude!

Cheers Simon. Most people ask is it a left hander haha! Harry is correct I meant too say buy a branded starter fender was just the first one to come to mind [emoji4]

Also electric is easier to play than acoustic but you'll be a better player ok acoustic as for it too sound right you've gotta be spot on with your fingers where electric you can get away with being a little sloppier especially once you add your effects in (distortion and so on)

I've got quite small hands and didn't find some of the chords a struggle at first but repeatedly trying it opened my hands up and getting a 24 feet guitar helped as well as they're all ever so slightly smaller.

I've got a Spider III amp and it's a cracker just a little large. If you have the space for a full size amp is recommend it as most small amps aren't much good

Agreed, i had a spider 3 also, what i did is change it from a combo to a head and put it through my 4x12 haha, i have gigged with it a few times like that actually. and the only small amp i would go for is a Roland, amazing power and tone from them. make a good practise amp

Edamski
09-12-2014, 12:06 PM
Agreed, i had a spider 3 also, what i did is change it from a combo to a head and put it through my 4x12 haha, i have gigged with it a few times like that actually. and the only small amp i would go for is a Roland, amazing power and tone from them. make a good practise amp

I bet that was great! Love the Line 6 stuff. I kept meaning to buy a pod but never did. Look like a fantastic price of product!

I think it's a Roland my brother has as his bass amp and that's small but good! I had two Marshall practice amps and didn't think much of either to be honest

Harry M
09-12-2014, 12:08 PM
I bet that was great! Love the Line 6 stuff. I kept meaning to buy a pod but never did. Look like a fantastic price of product!

I think it's a Roland my brother has as his bass amp and that's small but good! I had two Marshall practice amps and didn't think much of either to be honest

Yeah, when it comes to marshall the cheaper stuff is rather crap. I have my JVM 800 which is by far my best amp, cant beat its tone with my Gibson lp

Edamski
09-12-2014, 12:11 PM
Yeah as almost everyone knows there bigger stuff really is the stuff of legend. I did look at buying one of there valve amps but couldn't justify it in the end and glad it didn't as even my Spider has just sat there gathering dust in recent years [emoji20]

groundhog
09-12-2014, 12:26 PM
Pm sent :rock:

PeeJay
09-12-2014, 01:22 PM
At some pint in my life I would love a classic Fender Strat and a classic Gibson Les Paul even just to have them as display pieces even if I never learn to play.

You only a half pint then Marc? 21252

Simon G
09-12-2014, 01:46 PM
Hi Harry,

Might be a stupid question, but could I realistically learn on this type of Jackson?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JACKSON-RANDY-RHODES-ELECTRIC-GUITAR-/221615482521?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item33994fe699

Or even this?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jackson-Kelly-Black-Electric-Guitar-With-Padded-Case/201215280381?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%2 6asc%3D28111%26meid%3Dd84cdd587ab24c1489d90cd2960e 9336%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D11472%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3 D6%26sd%3D181583090509&rt=nc

However, would like to grasp the whammy bar eventually :D

Quite like something a little unusual looking.
Although might be best to stick to a relatively normal looking Jackson?

Simon G
09-12-2014, 01:58 PM
Harry,

Is it worth getting myself down to this store - having a look at the prices and feeling them in the hand?

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_guitars.asp?brandname=Jackson

MANY THANKS!

Harry M
09-12-2014, 02:42 PM
Harry,

Is it worth getting myself down to this store - having a look at the prices and feeling them in the hand?

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_guitars.asp?brandname=Jackson

MANY THANKS!

I would deffo go into a store and at least hold the guitar before you go buying one, that way you would know if they feel comfy to hold and if the neck is an okay size for your hands. Also you can ask a member of staff to play something on them to hear how they play if you cant yet play yourself. As for the previous question, either of the guitars stated would be fine. I like the v shape guitars as they kinda lock into your leg and stop it from sliding when playing sitting down.

Simon G
09-12-2014, 03:12 PM
Thanks again Harry.
Really appreciate your feedback.
I think I'm gonna get down to this store at some point in the next week or so and take on your advice

Harry M
09-12-2014, 03:35 PM
Thanks again Harry.
Really appreciate your feedback.
I think I'm gonna get down to this store at some point in the next week or so and take on your advice

Glad to hear it bud, keep us updated if you do make a purchase at some point

Edamski
09-12-2014, 04:09 PM
That Kelly is lovely!

Like Harry said get one in your hands and see how it feels, personally I felt the flying V sat too far too my right when sitting down with it to play comfortably but everyone is different. I also borrowed a friends explorer and the balance was horrid on it and was seriously head heavy and wasn't nice to use at all.

Harry M
09-12-2014, 04:15 PM
That Kelly is lovely!

Like Harry said get one in your hands and see how it feels, personally I felt the flying V sat too far too my right when sitting down with it to play comfortably but everyone is different. I also borrowed a friends explorer and the balance was horrid on it and was seriously head heavy and wasn't nice to use at all.
Had the same problem with my thunderbird bass. just moved the strap lock from the back of the body to the end of the neck socket. When i play a v i always stand but if i play it sat down i almost have the neck completely upright but as you said each to their own

Harry M
09-12-2014, 04:17 PM
And one last Very important thing, AVOID the tremolo system or whammy bar as some call it whilst learning, on cheaper models it sends the tuning out of wak very quickly which can be a big turn off when learning guitar.

Edamski
09-12-2014, 04:17 PM
Yeah I'd play standing up more but it's a sloping roof upstairs where the space is and it gets cramped haha

Yeah my Ibanez as the Floyd Rose tremolo and it's awful at keeping tune and awful to re-tune

butternutsquashpie
09-12-2014, 06:51 PM
Yeah my Ibanez as the Floyd Rose tremolo and it's awful at keeping tune and awful to re-tune

Changing strings takes 15 min. Retuning takes under an hour.

So worth it :).
If it's not for you, try blocking the bridge??

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk

Edamski
09-12-2014, 06:53 PM
Changing strings takes 15 min. Retuning takes under an hour.

So worth it :).
If it's not for you, try blocking the bridge??

Changing the strings on my ESP takes 5 minutes tuning takes 1, can see why it's such a ball ache [emoji4]

I started to get reasonably handy at doing it but haven't tried it in a long time now so Lord knows what I'll be like haha

Simon G
10-12-2014, 10:55 AM
Well, at the minute I'm loving the look of two Jacksons…

The Dinky
http://cdn.mos.musicradar.com/images/Total%20Guitar/232/jackson-js23-dinky-630-80.jpg

and the Randy Rhodes...
http://c1.zzounds.com/media/quality,85/rotate,45/2803060803v2_me-e0fc3e10b9861f9c4b2261c2defebb0e.jpg

Will keep the thread updated, IF and AS this topic progresses,
Many thanks guys.

Si

Edamski
10-12-2014, 04:10 PM
It's a good time of year too be looking anyway, there's seems to be almost permanent sales on so here's hoping you can find something with a chick off it as well [emoji4]

Nice pick ups on the dink as well [emoji4]

Simon G
10-12-2014, 04:27 PM
Nice pick ups on the dink as well [emoji4]

I haven't a clue what that means! :lol:

I'm such a newb man...

Am I right in saying, a couple times practice a week for 30-60mins each time,
starting from scratch, learning basic notes/chords/finger & hand placement,
I'm guessing 6mths to a year to grasp the basics and become confident?

Edamski
10-12-2014, 04:36 PM
The pick ups are the little blocks that sit under the strings which are what detects the vibrations and transmits it too the amp [emoji4] the ones on the Dink are EMG actives depending which ones are very good for a heavy sound but some people don't like the "clean" sound of them.

Active means there's a little 9v battery tucked away in the back which powers them which eliminates the feedback as much as anything [emoji4]

Passives are the ones randy Rhodes and are the most common of pick ups.

I'd say it's better to have 10 minutes a day than 30-60 every few or at least that's what I've always been told [emoji4]

oskihen
10-12-2014, 04:44 PM
I haven't a clue what that means! :lol:

I'm such a newb man...

Am I right in saying, a couple times practice a week for 30-60mins each time,
starting from scratch, learning basic notes/chords/finger & hand placement,
I'm guessing 6mths to a year to grasp the basics and become confident?
Yep I'd say 10/20 mins every day for a year and then you'll be sorted to actually start learning to play well. You have to spend that year so you can completely forget about your fretting hand and it becomes second nature.
I'd advise your to learn about chord structure, music theory not necessarily reading music but understanding chord sequences its all very mathematical but that will help you pick it up quicker and make sense of the fret board .

butternutsquashpie
10-12-2014, 04:53 PM
Jackson makes some really beautiful ones.

Mindr you, all look too much like I RG classes. But I just can't deal with their necks :(

Flat Ibanez necks are the truer beez neez

Edamski
10-12-2014, 04:59 PM
Yeah what Osiken said is something I could never do, mainly through a lack of persistence and memory buts it's certainly the a good track too go down [emoji4]

The the flat Ibanez necks are lovely

Simon G
10-12-2014, 05:35 PM
Great advice lads.
It's like a can of worms! :lol:

Simon G
15-12-2014, 12:38 PM
Ok Amp wise I'm contemplating the Blackstar Core 10:
http://www.andertons.co.uk/combo-amps/pid32114/cid691/blackstar-id-core-10-guitar-amp.asp

Small enough for me to learn with and use in a room.
Seems to be kitted out with everything I need thereafter:
MP3 connection, various settings and effects.
Looks good via Youtube

Guitar wise, I think my heart is set on a Jackson for sure.
Dinky.
But it's just a case of which Dinky now.
Budget will be around £200-£250.
Don't necessarily have to max out.
I think I need to get in to a store and handle the babies…
Ideally would like one with a whammy bar (built in to the tremolo? is that right :lol: )

Harry M
15-12-2014, 09:27 PM
Andertons are the best music store in the uk and staff are very helpful. The do a Jackson dinky which is only about £100. I picked it up just to have a look and sounded and played amazing. Anything by blackstar is going to be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simon G
15-12-2014, 09:38 PM
Thanks Harry,
what about PMT in Romford, London.
have you been before?
its a lot closer than andertons to me
cheers bud

Harry M
16-12-2014, 01:55 AM
Can't say I've been but head on down anyway

Budgie Smuggler
22-12-2014, 09:55 PM
I received a small windfall today and decided to treat myself to something other than cigars.

As such I'll shortly be receiving a Jackson JS32T Dinky, Fender Mustang V2 modelling amp and a copy of Rocksmith 2014 and I can't bloody wait! [emoji16]

Best part is the guitar was only £149 from Andertons, even if it is bright yellow [emoji41]

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/22/f6cf0d3f44ffb96f9bf0361c5ff3fa8d.jpg

oskihen
22-12-2014, 10:03 PM
I received a small windfall today and decided to treat myself to something other than cigars.

As such I'll shortly be receiving a Jackson JS32T Dinky, Fender Mustang V2 modelling amp and a copy of Rocksmith 2014 and I can't bloody wait! [emoji16]

Best part is the guitar was only £149 from Andertons, even if it is bright yellow [emoji41]

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/22/f6cf0d3f44ffb96f9bf0361c5ff3fa8d.jpg
Well you certainly won't mislay it that's for sure

Budgie Smuggler
22-12-2014, 10:06 PM
Well you certainly won't mislay it that's for sure

It was that or Sky Blue which as a Utd fan was just anathema to me.

oskihen
22-12-2014, 10:08 PM
Matches your budgie smugglers lol

Simon G
22-12-2014, 10:09 PM
Sh!t man, that looks sweet! Love the look of those pick ups too!

I'm still umming and arring as to whether or not to take the plunge... The Mrs is kinda ok about it, unsure if it's gonna be a Xmas treat for me or not... Will have to wait a few days to see if I'm right :lol:

Popped to PMT in Romford the other day. No jacksons on display, so a bit gutted. And the member of staff seemed a little protective and reluctant to say, "feel free to pick up and hold anything you like the look of", felt a bit reluctant to feel totally relaxed, as a newb. Next stop if anything will be guitarguitar over in Epsom, where they display jacksons

Simon G
22-12-2014, 10:11 PM
Still researching and reading up on learning the fret board

Budgie Smuggler
22-12-2014, 10:12 PM
I love the sound of the Jackson and having spoken to the Brother of a mate who works in the guitar dept of Forsyths in Manchester (who don't sell Jacksons) he said that I should buy it before they sell out as he cant get me anything of that quality close to that price, even with his discount.

Simon G
22-12-2014, 10:24 PM
Just looked online and yes, great purchase.... Great deal...
Fecking Great price man!

my budget is around 200 or so, for the guitar.

Amp just has to be something small for home, hence the Blackstar Core 10 for £89

Budgie Smuggler
22-12-2014, 10:25 PM
Fecking Great price man!

I'm just glad my money didn't come through last week when it was over £200!

Simon G
22-12-2014, 10:30 PM
Well best of luck bud, dead chuffed for you...
can you play, and if so how long have you been playing for?
:)

Budgie Smuggler
22-12-2014, 10:33 PM
I haven't played in 19 years and even then it was acoustic, hence the Rocksmith game as well.

Luckily there's my mates Brother who teaches, my mate himself who's a brilliant Bass player and another guy I know who's one of those freaks who can play just about any instrument you could give to him, so no excuses.

I'm just going to try the 20/30 mins of daily practice a go and take it from there.

Simon G
22-12-2014, 10:37 PM
Ah that's brilliant. You got good help around you then.

I was planning to learn the chord shapes, and then spend time looking into and learning the fret board, again like you for about 20mins a day, and more on weekends.

Stumbled across this handy site:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/the_magic_bullet_way_to_read_your_guitar_fretboard .html

Out of interest what bands do you like?

Budgie Smuggler
22-12-2014, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the link.

RATM, The Doors, Elbow, One Day as a Lion, The Mars Volta etc.

I'm actually more into Hip Hop but I've always wanted to be able to play electric guitar.

Simon G
22-12-2014, 10:47 PM
I went through a hip hop phase, but in the end rock & metal is where my true passion lays. Congratulations man, that guitar retails for £260+ elsewhere...

My Mrs hasn't given a clear green light yet... So biding my time and researching :lol:

Good man. Let's hope I can update the thread with good news too...

Budgie Smuggler
22-12-2014, 10:48 PM
Just tell her the guitar you love is on sale at £110 off and there are only 2 left...

Simon G
22-12-2014, 10:50 PM
Your gonna have to update the thread with feedback on your guitar bud :D And also on the amp

butternutsquashpie
22-12-2014, 11:53 PM
Your gonna have to update the thread with feedback on your guitar bud :D

Feedback is only provided by the amp - not the guitar, right?

;)

Edamski
23-12-2014, 05:51 AM
Just looked online and yes, great purchase.... Great deal...
Fecking Great price man!

my budget is around 200 or so, for the guitar.

Amp just has to be something small for home, hence the Blackstar Core 10 for £89

It is if I remember rightly those pick ups are about £40 each if not more! (Been a while since I've looked at prices)

Feedback is only provided by the amp - not the guitar, right?

;)

Huh huh huh [emoji39]

Great too see you're both getting out and about and stuck in with it [emoji4]

Simon G
23-12-2014, 10:39 AM
When I make the trip to guitar guitar in Epsom, will head off early. Andertons looks a 30 min or more drive further out so will defo make a stop there too. Hopefully I can make a decision with what to take... Don't wanna rush and want to be happy with my purchase :)

Budgie Smuggler
24-12-2014, 12:01 AM
http://youtu.be/1sreMiSry_g

Budgie Smuggler
24-12-2014, 03:37 PM
The (fluorescent yellow) eagle has landed!

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/24/84502271f0b977d914044b40166825db.jpg

Simon G
24-12-2014, 05:49 PM
Lucky ducky!
looks great bud :)
Really hope the Mrs agrees to me getting one now...

Simon G
24-12-2014, 06:53 PM
How does she sound??

Budgie Smuggler
24-12-2014, 06:56 PM
I'd like to say great but that would be a lie!

Definitely a case of the workman rather than the tool though.

The Amp's great, plenty to fiddle with.

Simon G
24-12-2014, 07:01 PM
Good man :D
Will keep tabs on your progress, pardon the pun
fingers crossed I update with good news...
:D

Budgie Smuggler
24-12-2014, 07:14 PM
Just hope that Santa thinks you've been a good boy

Edamski
25-12-2014, 11:48 AM
Lovely! [emoji4]

On a side note rock smith is on sale on steam at the minute. I bought it and left brother too buy the cable from Amazon. He decided to buy it from Hong Kong.

So that's a 3 week wait for me [emoji53]

Budgie Smuggler
30-12-2014, 08:45 AM
I've been at my In-Laws after Boxing Day so I'm looking forward to getting back home to give Rocksmith a go.

While here I found this website which has some great tutorials:

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-000-BeginnersCourse.php

Simon G
05-01-2015, 02:44 PM
Great find, those tutorials.
Currently deciding which guitar I'd go for still, whilst my funds are on hold at the mo.
Fingers crossed my work bonus comes through at the end of the month...

What has caught my eye since researching more and more is:
A Jackson Dinky still, a Jackson Warrior, or an Ibanez…
Will leave the Floyd Rose trem for now I think.

Still liking the thought of the £89 Blackstar Core 10 amp.

Will update the thread as and when things develop :smile:

Simon G
05-01-2015, 03:15 PM
FYI, a great guy who shows how to play most rock metal songs: Mike Gross

You can search most rock metal songs on his youtube channel. He gives tutorials on how to play :41:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLHNCEQApTg

http://rockinguitarlessons.com

Simon G
07-01-2015, 12:11 PM
How are you getting on with your new Jackson Budgie Smuggler?

Been checking out more and more reviews.
Decision now seems to be leaning toward a Jackson Warrior.
Love the extreme shape. Found it at a bargain price too!!!
Almost £60 cheaper than most stores who have it priced at £227.

£169 new from Red Dog Music:

http://www.reddogmusic.co.uk/catalog/product/123201/jackson-js32t-warrior-ferrari-red

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q142/sinnus2006/Warrior_zps96ff178a.jpg (http://s135.photobucket.com/user/sinnus2006/media/Warrior_zps96ff178a.jpg.html)

Budgie Smuggler
07-01-2015, 01:07 PM
I'm struggling with finger positioning on chords but it'll get better the more I practice.

Get it bought!

Simon G
08-01-2015, 11:46 AM
Hi Budgie,
Very good site bud for tabs to songs,
hearing them played & tempo for when you come to it...
http://www.songsterr.com

Tomothebuilder
08-01-2015, 04:43 PM
Try the Lick Library videos-there's some examples on YouTube. I tried learning from tabs for a few years and never got anywhere, but with the vids you can pick it up pretty quick! Love guitars, another very expensive vice of mine that the missus hates! 😁

Edamski
09-01-2015, 01:43 AM
Personally I don't learn very well from watching a video. Not interactive enough [emoji20]

I find reading tab and then referring to a video/person/song for some little tricky bits help [emoji4]

Tomothebuilder
14-01-2015, 03:10 PM
Would agree, i just remember i could never work out some of the fingering, especially on riffs/solos etc, seemed to learn a lot quicker just watching someone doing it, and being able to pause/rewind etc. I tend to look at the tab when the video isn't so clear!All just for a it of fun though!

Fratton
19-01-2015, 01:06 PM
Hi Simon

Sorry I've come to this one late but been playing since '73. There are some really good, cheap guitar/amp deals you can get but be prepared for pain. The finger tips will get very sore and only by working at it regularly will the tips harden. Like everything, practice is the key to improvement and don't expect to be Slash in a week. There are some really good YouTube learning sessions but I would highly recommend finding a local jam pub and going along to talk to fellow players and learn the tricks and tips of playing and to experience live playing without being ridiculed - learning 3 chords will get you along with most jam sessions.

It can get quite expensive and take a fair bit of real estate in the house (7 lead guitars and 2 basses need a whole room to themselves)

F

Simon G
19-01-2015, 01:39 PM
Thanks v much for the feedback Fratton! Appreciate it bud. Yes, I am just awaiting funds to permit my purchase :D I have in mind a guitar and amp, the additional extras should bring it all to around £300. I'm planning to practice daily, for 30+ mins where possible. I totally understand too that it'll take time. I have a few other hobbies in the background that have taken time & dedication over the years, which have been a labour of love, so I can totally appreciate dedicating time etc. As soon as things develop for me I'll post an update here.
I was planning to self teach myself and learn the CAGED system first, and then learn the additional chords, as well as the fretboard itself as a whole. Applying this to beginner songs, and then dabbling with songs that really interest me will keep me on my toes :)

I think also that there are local places to me where guitar players meet, classes etc, so this too would be something I'd like to experience at some point, to ensure I'm on the right track and not picking up any bad habits etc. I will be doing it purely for self pleasure in the comfort of my home to start. Playing out the songs I love. Who knows, maybe it could lead me to joining some kind of band or jamming with a few locals :D

SilentBOb
19-01-2015, 01:50 PM
I started playing at the age of 13 with a few lessons at school- i hated it! I quit after 6 months and never touched a guitar again until i was 18 and taught myself. I didn't read books, I learnt from watching MTV (when they showed music videos) and listening to tapes and CDs over and over and over again.

I dont know what the CAGED system is, I cant read music, have no idea on the name of the chords i would play, I DID learn scales- scales are your friend- but remember you can always think outside the scale (call it Jazz if you hit a bum note) but I had fun with it. I played in a few bands- mostly covers, but also in one original band that got me playing in venues all over London and in various different parts of the country.

I stopped playing about 5 years ago as the meds i was on was causing to much pain in my hands- and when i came off them i lost all inclination to play.

The advice i would give: is don't become too structured, play when want not when you feel you have to. Don't get caught up in the latest gear, find a tone that feels right to you.....And just have fun with it.

Simon G
19-01-2015, 01:57 PM
Great advice :smile: many thanks for your input!
Sorry to hear you've had to stop due to meds etc.

Yes, CAGED is just the chords C,A,G,E & D. I think these are the most used. I'd go on to learn B, F and G afterward. I'd tinker around in-between learning, so to keep me interested and not get too bogged down. I love the sound of the electric guitar… being a fairly good player, enough to play my favourite songs confidently is where I want to be…

oskihen
19-01-2015, 02:18 PM
Great advice [emoji2] many thanks for your input!
Sorry to hear you've had to stop due to meds etc.

Yes, CAGED is just the chords C,A,G,E & D. I think these are the most used. I'd go on to learn B, F and G afterward. I'd tinker around in-between learning, so to keep me interested and not get too bogged down. I love the sound of the electric guitar… being a fairly good player, enough to play my favourite songs confidently is where I want to be…
The caged system is regarding finger shapes on bar chords .
Eg the most common and easiest to explain are the e shape and a shape chord. If you play a standard e shape chord but change your fingering to use the second finger as your first and then bar the strings on the first fret you have an f chord .
Same with an a shape bar the first fret and you have a bflat chord.
It is important to learn the notes on the fret board especially the 6th string.
If you play an e shape bar chord and play the a shape on the same fret and a shape two frets higher you get the basic V IV I , which you should by know recognise as the basic twelve bar blues

Simon G
21-01-2015, 02:12 PM
Fcuking yes!!! :cool:
All systems go go go!!!!!!!

Guitar and accessories ordered!!! Awaiting delivery:
• Jackson Warrior JS32T in Ferrari Red
• Snark tuner
• Blackstar's ID Core 20 amp
• Roland headphones
• tripod stand, set of strings, amp cable, pack of plectrums

Got it all £70 under RRP :smile:

Pics to follow when everything's to hand...

parnaby
21-01-2015, 02:27 PM
I've been playing for 4/5 years now. Like others, I was self taught, youtube, playing along, playing with others etc. Unfortunately with my job, I found it difficult to dedicate much time so I was still pretty poor. I started having lessons back in October, just 1 hour a week. After 12 lessons, I have probably made more progress than in my first 4 years.
I haven't read all the thread, but I would recommend you getting a cheap acoustic to start off with. Your calluses will develop quicker on the thicker strings. You are going to sound pretty bad anyway so no point in bursting the bank. If you are still serious after 6 months then go spend 200 quid on a electric and a practice amp for 70.

Simon G
21-01-2015, 02:33 PM
Thanks bud, but too late :lol: I've gone and pushed all the buttons…
I totally take all of the advice onboard, but hopefully all will be well :smile:

Now my Son is sleeping through the night, I get an hour or two of free time Mon-Fri evenings.
So I'll be learning daily. Weekends, I'll obviously get bigger slots of free time.

SilentBOb
21-01-2015, 03:59 PM
Sounds like a good setup........i would resist the urge to practice with distortion- by all means jam away and have fun with it- but for solid practice, keep it clean, distortion hides a multitude of sins. If you can play with a good clean tone, then once you hit that distortion you will really be able to control it and make it work for you!

Simon G
21-01-2015, 04:07 PM
Thanks Bob. Strong advice! Yes, plan to learn the basics first, clean channel.

Although….. :rolleyes: I might have to have a sneaky play of the odd intro of the odd song as a little treat! (following Youtube tutorials)

Very excited… Love the sound of the distortion I must admit!
BIG fan!!!

Johnny Thunder
21-01-2015, 04:13 PM
A budding rock star Simon. :smile:

Good luck with it mate.

wolfie
21-01-2015, 06:38 PM
Nice one Si ,

time to realise the dream

made up for you mate :smile:

SilentBOb
21-01-2015, 08:04 PM
Thanks Bob. Strong advice! Yes, plan to learn the basics first, clean channel.

Although….. :rolleyes: I might have to have a sneaky play of the odd intro of the odd song as a little treat! (following Youtube tutorials)

Very excited… Love the sound of the distortion I must admit!
BIG fan!!!
How doesn't love to play the riffs to Sweet Child O'mine or Stairway to Heaven, Sweet Home Alabama, or my personal fav intro and cover we used to play, Enter Sandman!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

wolfie
21-01-2015, 08:37 PM
sweet home Alabama +1 :smile:
class

Simon G
21-01-2015, 09:31 PM
So excited..... Can't wait to start learning... Gonna be really interesting and testing. I'm defo up for the challenge :)

TonyN
21-01-2015, 09:40 PM
Think you'll be able to fit a cigar in simon.:smile:

Johnny Thunder
21-01-2015, 09:40 PM
I hope you see it through mate. I tried years ago but put it down.
I would probably be quite decent now if I had stuck at it.

Simon G
21-01-2015, 09:47 PM
I'm hoping to stick with it Johnny :)
I've been a keen listener of rock and metal for about 25 years since the age of 10. Absolutely love the sound of the electric guitar now in particular songs... As you know I've been a dedicated bird man for the past 6+ years, developing a stud, so dedicating time to something I enjoy is not a problem. I'll take it onboard as a new challenge. The reward will be my love of music. And actually playing it!!! I'll feel like a rock star :lol:

I honestly believe in life there's a time when things are meant to be, and right for a particular time. I think with my experience and maturity now this would be a good thing to try, to do, now.

Maybe had I of tried it earlier I might not have had the determination. The birds have trained me to be patient, whilst working hard to keep them going.

Johnny Thunder
21-01-2015, 09:51 PM
Absolutely mate.
Talking of rock and metal, I saw Slipknot and Korn on Monday. They were immense.

Simon G
21-01-2015, 09:55 PM
:lol: nice one! :D

personally I'm a massive fan of the 80s and 90s rock. There's nothing newer on my iPod :lol:
I'm stuck in that era! :lol: something about the sound of it that ticks all my boxes :D

Johnny Thunder
21-01-2015, 09:59 PM
In that case, I'm down your neck of the woods in July.
Tickets for ACDC at Wembley Stadium. :41:

oskihen
21-01-2015, 10:18 PM
:lol: nice one! :D

personally I'm a massive fan of the 80s and 90s rock. There's nothing newer on my iPod :lol:
I'm stuck in that era! :lol: something about the sound of it that ticks all my boxes :D
What about the sixties and seventies , or even earlier I listen to music from the twenties onwards all the people that influenced the greats , from Bessie Smith , Robert Johnson, son house, the kinks , early ac/dc can't beat bon Scott , the stones , zep , ( saw Robert plant and Jimmy page acoustic in a marquis at Glastonbury sat about four foot in front of them off my tits and a memory I'll treasure forever ). Jazz Louis Armstrong etc Dinah Washington acoustic music Neil young man's a true genius and started grunge , the list is endless

Johnny Thunder
21-01-2015, 10:22 PM
My favourite rock band of the 60's-70's era is probably Creedence or Cream. Love them both.

oskihen
21-01-2015, 10:25 PM
Love creedence , lynard skynard superb forget the freebird, sweet home Alabama which are great but listen to their back album catalogue , also one of the best rockin bands ever are canned heat fucking awesome

Simon G
21-01-2015, 10:39 PM
Yeah Johnny? We might have to arrange a meet! Who are you down with??

Simon G
21-01-2015, 10:40 PM
July 3rd is my birthday ;)

Johnny Thunder
21-01-2015, 10:43 PM
Coming down with the wife and kids mate. Gig is on the 4th.
My daughter and myself going to the gig. My daughter is 15 and is a very good drummer.
She loves her rock music mate. Maybe arrange a jamming session.

Simon G
21-01-2015, 10:45 PM
I think she might be bored if we share a sit down and cigar together :lol:
are you staying overnight?

Johnny Thunder
21-01-2015, 10:48 PM
I think we will probably do the weekend.

Simon G
21-01-2015, 10:52 PM
Would be good to maybe have a cigar sesh!
we speak nearer the time... :D
the weather will be warm too!
Maybe a smoke at mine. :)

Johnny Thunder
22-01-2015, 07:34 AM
We will have to see if we can sort something out.

:smoke:

oskihen
29-01-2015, 11:19 PM
https://vimeo.com/118183731j
Mississippi Fred McDowell
You gotta move in open D , about ten years ago when I first started playing slide

Simon G
30-01-2015, 08:10 AM
:lol: makes me wanna crack a cold beer open
Nice one!

fingers crossed got my guitar being delivered today
so pics to follow :)

Johnny Thunder
30-01-2015, 01:52 PM
Goos luck with it Si. Have fun mate.

Simon G
30-01-2015, 09:53 PM
Quick update to the thread, my baby finally arrived! I have to say that it looks like it belongs to a rock star :lol: my initial thoughts are: wow, it's actually quite small.... Especially the fret board! Had a bash at notes C A G E & D.... F#ck me.... How I'm gonna know them without looking at the fretboard, I don't know.... :lol: getting used to putting the finger tips in places but boy it feels so finicky.

Anyway, it starts here! Drinking a lovely red to celebrate.... And speaking of lovely reds.... Here's my lovely new red....

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q142/sinnus2006/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsnkqtdglu.jpg (http://s135.photobucket.com/user/sinnus2006/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsnkqtdglu.jpg.html)

Johnny Thunder
30-01-2015, 10:20 PM
Rock 'n' Roll Dude.

Johnny Thunder
30-01-2015, 10:25 PM
That looks fantastic Si.
What a brilliant bit of kit to start with.

Budgie Smuggler
30-01-2015, 10:27 PM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Drewmidorn
02-02-2015, 10:43 PM
I just thought some of you might like to see this. I've a fair few bits and pieces of guitars and amps but this is probably the most relevant and interesting.

oskihen
02-02-2015, 10:47 PM
I just thought some of you might like to see this. I've a fair few bits and pieces of guitars and amps but this is probably the most relevant and interesting.
[emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji106]

Budgie Smuggler
21-02-2015, 06:28 PM
How are you getting on Simon?

I had a bit of a breakthrough on Rocksmith yesterday which I think is due to the fact that I managed to practice on consecutive days, meaning that I was able to remember the string positions without peeking for the first time.

Edamski
22-02-2015, 01:01 PM
How are you getting on Simon?

I had a bit of a breakthrough on Rocksmith yesterday which I think is due to the fact that I managed to practice on consecutive days, meaning that I was able to remember the string positions without peeking for the first time.

That's the secret buddy!

Simon G
22-02-2015, 01:23 PM
Going well bud!
3 wks in and I'm v familiar with C A G E D F Em, learning Am at the mo can strum confidently through half the chords confidently, still need to perfect others. Can strum Wild Thing, and also just learnt the intro to Wish you were Here/Floyd (mixture of picking & strumming). Happy with progress. Been practicing daily for an hour to two.
In 3 wks prob not practiced for two or three nights.

oskihen
22-02-2015, 01:41 PM
Going well bud!
3 wks in and I'm v familiar with C A G E D F Em, learning Am at the mo can strum confidently through half the chords confidently, still need to perfect others. Can strum Wild Thing, and also just learnt the intro to Wish you were Here/Floyd (mixture of picking & strumming). Happy with progress. Been practicing daily for an hour to two.
In 3 wks prob not practiced for two or three nights.
Well done Simon [emoji106] [emoji106]

SilentBOb
22-02-2015, 04:34 PM
Wild thing was one of the first songs I learnt all the way through!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Simon G
22-02-2015, 04:42 PM
It's a good un to get you used to changing between A D and E :)
Need to work on my changes through C and F. Tonight I'm gonna learn the Am, as well as fiddle through all the chords I know, and possibly practice wish you were here again. It's all about consistency, and repetition. Mrs is fed up of wild thing, lol

Johnny Thunder
22-02-2015, 06:08 PM
This thread needs videos.

:biggrin1:

oskihen
22-02-2015, 06:14 PM
It's a good un to get you used to changing between A D and E :)
Need to work on my changes through C and F. Tonight I'm gonna learn the Am, as well as fiddle through all the chords I know, and possibly practice wish you were here again. It's all about consistency, and repetition. Mrs is fed up of wild thing, lol
You've got to learn and get used to pivoting on the common finger , on most chord changes certain fingers positions don't change and they are known as the pivot finger

Simon G
22-02-2015, 06:30 PM
That's right. There's a pivot finger, the index on the G string, between A D & E for Wild Thing. I was learning the A chord before not using the index finger on the G. However, found another tutorial that taught using a finger pattern that incorporates the pivot, index on the G. Made it so much easier for changing. Thats the nice thing about learning for yourself, is the research involved. YouTube. So so handy... Great resource the internet, for self teaching and tutorials etc.
Thanks to YouTube, I'm learning the guitar. I've replaced a digital camera screen, and also fixed my dryer thanks to YouTube... In the past:)

Simon G
22-02-2015, 06:33 PM
This thread needs videos.

To early for vids :lol:
Although might be tempted to upload a sound file soon. Maybe once I've mastered the whole of Wish you were here... :D

oskihen
22-02-2015, 07:21 PM
Your doing well is you've mastered the intro solo to wish you were here already string bends and pulloffs included

Budgie Smuggler
22-02-2015, 07:22 PM
My Son's guitar is due to arrive this week so I'll have to make time for us to practice together.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Simon G
22-02-2015, 07:39 PM
Well, just a hammer on for now. Trying to master timing with that too. :)

Simon G
22-02-2015, 07:40 PM
That'll be good fun Budgie.
Motivation for both of you. Having each other learning at the same time.

butternutsquashpie
22-02-2015, 07:59 PM
Let x be any chord.
Play three chords quickly: G, Bm, x

Take a picture of your hand position when you're playing the x chord. We can help you out to not establish any bad hand motions when you're fretting. This is the problem with web teaching - you may develop bad habits that aren't caught until it's too late.
Simple chords people mess up on are C7, D7, D, A, F7, G7.

... I miss teaching guitar........

SilentBOb
22-02-2015, 11:03 PM
I played guitar for 15 years, and I have no idea what you lot are on about with pivot fingers, and all these chord names lol....some of the best, and most famous guitar players had bad habits. For me, it's all about feel.

Simon, don't get too bogged down with the technicals; if it feels good, and sounds good you doing great!

butternutsquashpie
22-02-2015, 11:16 PM
some of the best, and most famous guitar players had bad habits. For me, it's all about feel.
Simon, don't get too bogged down with the technicals; if it feels good, and sounds good you doing great!
*Sigh*. I've said this so many times, I think it's gonna lose meaning:

We come on a cigar board to learn techniques, etc on how to smoke the cigars and make them taste/last the best. I have unorthodox techniques that I adopted AFTER learning the proper techniques. Only when you know the basics can you experiment into the outlandish.
The same applies to learning a musical instruments. Convention exists for a reason - it's widely acknowledged to be the easier method to play the guitar. But everyone IS different - you're right.

But please. I implore you. Learn the basics before you think they're useless. Learn the correct techniques and if one year later, they feel improper, then have it changed to the way you think it should be - but only WHEN you have enough knowledge to be independant. Not before - for the love of God - NOT BEFORE.

SilentBOb
22-02-2015, 11:22 PM
*Sigh*. I've said this so many times, I think it's gonna lose meaning:

We come on a cigar board to learn techniques, etc on how to smoke the cigars and make them taste/last the best. I have unorthodox techniques that I adopted AFTER learning the proper techniques. Only when you know the basics can you experiment into the outlandish.
The same applies to learning a musical instruments. Convention exists for a reason - it's widely acknowledged to be the easier method to play the guitar. But everyone IS different - you're right.

But please. I implore you. Learn the basics before you think they're useless. Learn the correct techniques and if one year later, they feel improper, then have it changed to the way you think it should be - but only WHEN you have enough knowledge to be independant. Not before - for the love of God - NOT BEFORE.
Please don't be condescending dude, having played hundreds of gigs I am in no need to learn the basics........ Music IS about feel, if you want to be a tech player that's fine, you gave you're opinion I gave mine.... There are instances where other people may know more than you and have more experience and wish to offer a difference of opinion to yours.

butternutsquashpie
22-02-2015, 11:22 PM
I played guitar for 15 years, and I have no idea what you lot are on about with pivot fingers, and all these chord names lol...
I mean this with the utmost respect and utmost sincerity without trying to sound rude:
Perhaps you're not the better one to give advice on guitar strategies and advancement. The fact that you're unsure of a few of the most basic chords reflects the education you have received on guitar. I have personally taught people who have had self-nstruction for decades but have abhorrent techniques.
The most common is the mis-alligned fingers. I have taught them to train their fingers parralel when holding most chords and it has helped them so much. I've seen the improvements they have made by simply fixing what they once thought was "the best method".

Along with this, theory helps alongside method. Learning the chords and learning from things besides tabs help your improvisation techniques. Then you get into scales and create your own scales using modes. This is made much harder without learning musical notation and theory of the scale. All of these things may not be suited to how one specific person learns. But if they are serious in taking up the guitar, it's good that they first learn it and shed it off as THEY deem necessary.
Much like learning anything else, you learn to foundings and groundwork to understand the current.

SilentBOb
22-02-2015, 11:29 PM
I mean this with the utmost respect and utmost sincerity without trying to sound rude:
Perhaps you're not the better one to give advice on guitar strategies and advancement. The fact that you're unsure of a few of the most basic chords reflects the education you have received on guitar. I have personally taught people who have had self-nstruction for decades but have abhorrent techniques.
The most common is the mis-alligned fingers. I have taught them to train their fingers parralel when holding most chords and it has helped them so much. I've seen the improvements they have made by simply fixing what they once thought was "the best method".

Along with this, theory helps alongside method. Learning the chords and learning from things besides tabs help your improvisation techniques. Then you get into scales and create your own scales using modes. This is made much harder without learning musical notation and theory of the scale. All of these things may not be suited to how one specific person learns. But if they are serious in taking up the guitar, it's good that they first learn it and shed it off as THEY deem necessary.
Much like learning anything else, you learn to foundings and groundwork to understand the current.
Don't be a pr*ck, you have no idea about my guitar playing abilities......if I want to tell someone to have fun playing and to not get too bogged down in playing, then as far as I'm concerned I have every right to do so.

I don't think you realise that your opinion isn't the only one that counts.

I'm not going to continue on this thread, you've p*ssed me off too much.

Simon, good luck with your quest mate its a fun instrument to learn, as I've said previously, just have fun with it and find what works for you.

butternutsquashpie
22-02-2015, 11:30 PM
Please don't be condescending dude, having played hundreds of gigs I am in no need to learn the basics........ Music IS about feel, if you want to be a tech player that's fine, you gave you're opinion I gave mine.... There are instances where other people may know more than you and have more experience and wish to offer a difference of opinion to yours.
My apologies with the condescention. I really don't want to appear that way... I'm hoping we can have a creative discussion on here without devulging into an argument, etc. You're right there's no need. But I implore new users to first learn the basics.

This is the same with the cigar forum. We tell everyone to find their own paths. But we lecture them on how to keep humidity, cut the cigar, light the cigar, etc for a reason. So that they learn the 'tech aspects' first before getting their own feel for the hobby.

monkey66
22-02-2015, 11:33 PM
Got to agree here. Basics are important but not the only approach to art.

There are great players and ok players. Technical prowess does not define them.

There is no doubt a solid grounding in the basics will help most players progress but one of the beauty's of guitar is you can express yourself well in many ways.

I reckon if I did analysis of all the players i love at least half would have technically bad habits or gaps in knowledge. It's part of their sound just as my bad habits are part of mine. If everyone were perfect we'd all sound the same.

The most important thing I can share from my 30 years playing, is practice, practice and practice. Then gig, gig and gig. There is no substitute for hours under your belt.

...neither of which I have done in years hence my chops being fairly pants these days.

butternutsquashpie
22-02-2015, 11:44 PM
Hey Paul - glad you're chipping in around here. Didn't mean to piss off SBob but perhaps I was a tad too blunt on my side...
Hoping he'd come back to the discussion with my apologies...

Got to agree here. Basics are important but not the only approach to art.
There are great players and ok players. Technical prowess does not define them.
There is no doubt a solid grounding in the basics will help most players progress but one of the beauty's of guitar is you can express yourself well in many ways.
I reckon if I did analysis of all the players i love at least half would have technically bad habits or gaps in knowledge. It's part of their sound just as my bad habits are part of mine. If everyone were perfect we'd all sound the same.

The most important thing I can share from my 30 years playing, is practice, practice and practice. Then gig, gig and gig. There is no substitute for hours under your belt.
I understand the "unique sound" aspects on this... But does it have to happen with a slight trepidation of the hand? Or ignorance on the music?
Perhaps I'm just applying the scientific aspect towards the thing we call art. Maybe that's where the downfall is... but if Robert Johnson understood what "mode" he was playing in, would it have made him a less influencial player?

My argument [of basics] wasn't solely on techniques. It applied to theory as well. If you can play a Led Zeppelin song, does it sound more or less beautiful when you understand the mechanisms/ genre-specific influences?

monkey66
23-02-2015, 12:01 AM
Hey Paul - glad you're chipping in around here. Didn't mean to piss off SBob but perhaps I was a tad too blunt on my side...

I understand the "unique sound" aspects on this... But does it have to happen with a slight trepidation of the hand? Or ignorance on the music?
Perhaps I'm just applying the scientific aspect towards the thing we call art. Maybe that's where the downfall is... but if Robert Johnson understood what "mode" he was playing in, would it have made him a less influencial player?

My argument [of basics] wasn't solely on techniques. It applied to theory as well. If you can play a Led Zeppelin song, does it sound more or less beautiful when you understand the mechanisms/ genre-specific influences?
I get your point but musical theory is not for everyone. I know many great players who have almost no academic understanding. The reality is everything you learn influences everything you play. I'm damn sure if RJ, Keith, Muddy, Freddy, Duane, Albert, Carlos, Django, Wolf, Stevie and Jimi all attended GuitarTec we would be short a lot of seminal music.

I'm of course not dismissing the acedemic study of music, but simply suggesting as with most artistic expression there are many potential paths.

I always played my best with my eyes closed and my heart and gut telling my fingers where to dance.

butternutsquashpie
23-02-2015, 12:25 AM
I get your point but musical theory is not for everyone. I know many great players who have almost no academic understanding. The reality is everything you learn influences everything you play. I'm damn sure if RJ, Keith, Muddy, Freddy, Duane, Albert, Carlos, Django, Wolf, Stevie and Jimi all attended GuitarTec we would be short a lot of seminal music.
I'm of course not dismissing the acedemic study of music, but simply suggesting as with most artistic expression there are many potential paths
Bob and you shared a similar point. Now I better get what he meant by "being bogged down" by the study.
"I guess it's very true that those who start instruments don't really want to be bothered by the formal instruction - life's too short for things like that." That point is very understandable.
In the same breath, formal instruction and musical theory is a great method of learning if one is incredibly serious about the instrument. Maybe there exists a pretty good median...

I always played my best with my eyes closed and my heart and gut telling my fingers where to dance.
I like this discription... You did guitar. Did you do poetry as well? :wink:

Simon G
23-02-2015, 08:00 AM
Hi guys, apologies for the late response. I've read through the posts and appreciate both of your feedback, and appreciate the info of both your experiences. I always intended for this thread to have contribution RE experience, no matter how small or great. I also totally understand that in life there are many different methods of approach, and arguments can be made as to which is most effective. I also realise that there are guitar greats that studied the conventional way and others who learnt the unconventional way. For me personally I am aiming to approach it step by step, just so to save time on not having to back track later on, seeing as I'm in my mid thirties, and not exactly a youngster as such with more time on my hands. I've researched and am self teaching myself, but am trying to do so with structure. Practical, theory, technique, my aim is to learn slowly and get a feel and sense of it all in my own way, you could say: the conventional way. So yes, I honestly take both experiences on board and thank you for sharing with me (and others), but please don't argue or fall out over what was intentionally meant for different experiences to be brought to the table and shared. By no means was this ever set out to have any negatives. Appreciate your feedback chaps and take it all on board. :)

Simon G
23-02-2015, 08:12 AM
Just to add, obviously I tried to read up and gather info on experiences of fellow players, prior to buying and setting out to take up the hobby. And something that saddened me was to read how some had said how they'd been playing for a few years but never really got anywhere. And then how they'd gone and taken a few lessons and learnt more in a couple of wks than what they'd self taught in a few years!!
A friend of mine in Spain, he mentioned how he's been playing for about 6 or 7 years (self taught). Yet when he sent me a video of himself playing, he actually came across a bit amateurish... Then he explained that he'd played for 7 yrs, but on and off. It was more like a consistent 6+ months it had in fact equated to...
Me personally, I intend to keep at it consistently. I have free time in the evening, from around 8pm onward. More than enough free time to practice daily for 30mins to an hour+. I've basically given up TV to learn a new skill. I've listened to rock and metal for a good few years, and my love for it has brought me to the electric guitar now :)

Simon G
23-02-2015, 08:15 AM
And another thing!
Thanks Butternut for apologising and clearing up any misunderstandings with your posts. Wanna keep us all on good terms here. Many thanks chaps.

SilentBOb
23-02-2015, 09:07 AM

Apology accepted

Simon G
23-02-2015, 09:13 AM
With the 'pivot finger', I was thinking about the term on the train on my way in to work this morning, and it's actually referred to as an 'anchor' finger. The idea being that with say for instance the index finger - it stays on the same string when playing A, D or E. Likewise with the index finger when playing a C or F chord, the index stays on the same string: the B string. Although saying that - some players may use other fingers for playing chords, etc. There are many ways to play chords, but what I'm reading up on is playing chords in such a way, the idea being that you don't play a certain chord, and then lift certain fingers up - only to put them back down in the same place. More of a thing for beginners like me to note.

Simon G
23-02-2015, 09:17 AM
...if it feels good, and sounds good you doing great!...

Nice advice - thank you! I have the digital tuner on the head of the guitar at all times, to ensure when I play notes - they ring correctly. You can hear though when a bum note is hit. And more often than not the string may need more pressure added, or better positioning, or it may even be muted slightly by another finger accidentally touching it. All technique, and still v early days for me. Good fun - learning. But yes, never realised how repetitive it would be. But it's nice when things 'sink in'.

groundhog
23-02-2015, 09:24 AM
I'll just leave this here..... Well worth a watch.....

http://youtu.be/7rtY3GkDMSQ

Simon G
23-02-2015, 09:35 AM
:D Will defo check this out in my lunch break

groundhog
23-02-2015, 09:38 AM
:D Will defo check this out in my lunch break
Earphones are a must ;-)

Simon G
23-02-2015, 01:24 PM
Hah hah, v good. Nice to see the stars making an appearance!

Budgie Smuggler
23-02-2015, 06:01 PM
Just spent a solid hour on Rocksmith and saw my "streaks" (consecutive correct notes) increase from 9-10 per song to 25+, with 37 on one song.

Consistency is the key...

Seegarnub
20-07-2015, 12:03 PM
Hi all :smile:

Many thanks

Bass is my main instrument although I really enjoy dabbling on the six string acoustic as well. Been in various bands all my life and it was all I really did in my twenties when I was part of a band called 'Killers' with the original singer of Iron Maiden, Paul Di'Anno. More recently last year I was playing with a band called 'Rage Of Angels' and played a festival in Sweden on the same bill as headliners Europe, TNT & House Of Lords. Over the years have also played and toured in bands with the likes of ex-MSG singer Gary Barden and Magnum vocalist Bob Catley. As this thread was started some while ago, how's the playing coming on?

Simon G
20-07-2015, 01:00 PM
Flipping eck Seegar! Wow, great to hear your background, and especailly the bit about Paul D :biggrin1:

It's going well thanks!
Learn't all the open chords, and can change between them.
Just picked up and learning the minor pentatonic scale, and have started with the A minor/pent.
Can play it up and then down, without looking (in one place starting from the 5th fret/A' root on the E low string).
Although looking to spend more time on it, and dabble with a few riffs using it.
In the background to the above I can play She Sells Sanctuary, by the Cult,
as well as a few intros - just to try out something new.
But yes, now the focus is scales and becoming familiar with the fretboard.

Simon G
20-07-2015, 01:05 PM
Just googled Paul DiAnno, he grew up in Chingford.
That's where I reside :rock:

Seegarnub
20-07-2015, 01:09 PM
Flipping eck Seegar! Wow, great to hear your background, and especailly the bit about Paul D :biggrin1:

It's going well thanks!
Learn't all the open chords, and can change between them.
Just picked up and learning the minor pentatonic scale, and have started with the A minor/pent.
Can play it up and then down, without looking (in one place starting from the 5th fret/A' root on the E low string).
Although looking to spend more time on it, and dabble with a few riffs using it.
In the background to the above I can play She Sells Sanctuary, by the Cult,
as well as a few intros - just to try out something new.
But yes, now the focus is scales and becoming familiar with the fretboard.

Excellent! Sounds like it's all coming together and it makes a real difference when you can play proficiently enough to start playing along with music you enjoy listening to as you feel a sense of achievement which can only drive you forward. Keep up the good work and look forward to seeing you, comin' atcha live at a venue near you soon!![emoji106][emoji2]

Seegarnub
20-07-2015, 01:11 PM
Just googled Paul DiAnno, he grew up in Chingford.
That's where I reside :rock:

The home of Rock 'n' Roll then eh?![emoji106][emoji2]

Simon G
20-07-2015, 01:12 PM
Well if you're ever in the area - drop me a line! :biggrin1:

Seegarnub
20-07-2015, 01:19 PM
Well if you're ever in the area - drop me a line! :biggrin1:

Will do Simon and likewise! It'll be easier as well when I get my PM's which will hopefully be soon. Look forward to a 'Jam & Smoke' meet-up in the near future!!

Roy_Drage
20-07-2015, 08:21 PM
Will do Simon and likewise! It'll be easier as well when I get my PM's which will hopefully be soon. Look forward to a 'Jam & Smoke' meet-up in the near future!!

I like Jam, but I like Marmalade on toast, it goes well with a Smoke.

Simon G
20-07-2015, 10:04 PM
I'm more a peanut butter & Nutella kinda guy

Seegarnub
20-07-2015, 10:21 PM
I'm more a peanut butter & Nutella kinda guy

And what smoke would you pair that with?!

butternutsquashpie
20-07-2015, 11:53 PM
And what smoke would you pair that with?!
Probably a Cuaba... Oh wait- you're being serious.

... probably a cuaba.

Seegarnub
21-07-2015, 05:20 AM
Probably a Cuaba... Oh wait- you're being serious.

... probably a cuaba.

There's a cigar for EVERY situation, right?![emoji12]

Simon G
21-07-2015, 08:10 AM
Hah hah
possibly a petit Hoyo LE

although the best pairing is to a cup of tea :D

Seegarnub
17-12-2015, 05:28 PM
Currently playing in AC/DC tribute band 'Thunderstruck'.

Our next gig....

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/17/a384a87b0c718374e1839a1354983976.jpg

Johnny Thunder
17-12-2015, 06:21 PM
Let me know if you ever gig up in this 'ere cold north.

Seegarnub
17-12-2015, 06:40 PM
Let me know if you ever gig up in this 'ere cold north.

Will do Johnny!