View Full Version : Tax Returns

14-09-2008, 08:42 AM
Can anyone recommend a clear, user-friendly weblink for setting out your tax return, please? Particularly geared towards performers/stage/musicians, etc.

I've gone legal for the first time on my secondary earnings, and want to set the thing out properly.

Better late than never, God. Please forgive. ;)

I can't post this appeal on the musicians' fora I belong to because I'd get slaughtered.

Any pointers appreciated, especially on the declaration and calculation of EXPENDITURE.



14-09-2008, 09:39 AM
Hi Bryan, try these links:

http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=CAMPAIGN&itemId=1081015661&r.li=1081015865&r.l1=1073859955&r.l3=1073860000&r.l2=1075326033&furlname=taxhelp&furlparam=taxhelp&ref=http%3A//www.google.co.uk/search%3Fsource%3Dig%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1G1GGLQ_ENU K286%26q%3DOnline%2CTax%2Creturn%2Cform%26btnG%3DG oogle%2CSearch%26meta%3D&domain=www.businesslink.gov.uk



14-09-2008, 02:22 PM
Those are very useful, Monte. Thank you, mate.
The second one looks the most pertinent.

I've kept figures for every in and significant out for the year, and am not 'bricking it'. It's the cross-over things between band life and personal life that are hard to quantify, and I don't keep all receipts.

If the band was nothing much, we wouln't get regular offers. There are emails and calls every day. Three of the guys are pro musicians and this is their income. For me it's a semi-pro 'job'. I dep with several other bands, so am handling this quite professionally.

As a public service employee, the main money comes in and has tax deducted and the NI contributions are calculated. This self-assessment is new to me, but I have close mates who are self-employed and they've given me pointers.

I just don't want to get caught out as we go on the local radio and get written about in the local papers. It's the big-ish fish in a tiny, tiny goldfish bowl scenario. I'm being good.

14-09-2008, 02:38 PM
The best way all good mate:)

14-09-2008, 07:34 PM
It all seems to be good. Well in the right colour. Quite an interesting exercise.

15-09-2008, 08:29 AM
Hi bry with response with your self employemnt thing.
Just go onto the inland revenue home page (www.hmrc.gov.uk),click on the self assessment tab will take yo through all the options available.

If you want to do your tax return online btw,you will need to register at least 10 day's in advance of when you want to do it as they send you your password etc through the post for security,and won't be able to access it until you have that.hope this helps mate..

15-09-2008, 05:39 PM
I've finished my books and have gone over them with a couple of self-employed mates. This year - my first time - I'm using an accountant, but next year I shall do this online.

15-09-2008, 05:45 PM
accountants are not cheap mate,im sure with your brains mate you could do your self assessments mate,its not really that hard,sod paying accountants,you could always pop into inland rev office and they would be more than helpfull to show you and help you,we did.hope you can sort it out bry.its a shame we didnt live a bit closer mate could of helped ya out as my other half is good at sorting all that out.

15-09-2008, 06:55 PM
Bloody glad I am not self employed!!! Sounds a night mere???

15-09-2008, 07:00 PM
Yes it can be:eek:

15-09-2008, 07:16 PM
Remember I am in full-time employment with a reasonably lucrative sideline in a busy band. I was asked at work, when being interviewed for a different job, whether I was declaring tax on this sideline. I said yes. Of course. Then I went out and got it sorted.

I can't allow income 2 to affect income 1.

15-09-2008, 07:19 PM
Ive been self employed 7 yrs now,its got its up n downs chaps.trouble is i wouldnt work for anyone now,i can start at what time i fancy and finish and have breaks when i want and holidays.I find i work harder now as i seem to be on the go all the time doin one thing or touther.its good be flexable as i seem to have my fingers in many pies and like to earn as much as poss,lol,dont we all.

15-09-2008, 07:27 PM
I know where your coming from bry mate,as long as you can recieve as much as poss in cash your laffin and with no reciepts you could probly not declare as much then.But that doesnt happen too often,when i worked nite clubs and worked in some bands sometimes you could sort things out if you were regulars.