PDA

View Full Version : Cigars and Beer

RhiannonBW
03-09-2009, 01:41 PM
I'm treating hubby to a fine dining and beer evening at our local posh restaurant in a couple of weeks. Does anyone have any recommendations for cigars (cuban or otherwise) which suit beer?

Thanks.

Rhiannon x

Habana-Habanos
03-09-2009, 01:48 PM
Well look at what he likes, the strengths of the cigar, size, time he has for him to smoke it. Cuban cigars have different tastes to other regions so thats something to consider. Basically you could choose any cigar but choosing one he will enjoy depends purely on his opinion.

Hope I helped.

RhiannonBW
03-09-2009, 02:26 PM
Sorry, I should have been more specific. He has time for a long smoke, loves big cigars, and he likes medium strength and flavour.

Rhiannon x

Olls
03-09-2009, 02:32 PM
I'd be interested to hear a few opinions on this.

I love beer but when I first started smoking cigars I decided that cigars and beer just didn't go. After a bit more experimenting I've decided they definitely do but it is very dependent on the combination of both. So I don't think there's specifically a cigar that goes with "beer," because it depends a lot on the type of beer.

If you're drinking something very light and flowery or fruity you'll easily overpower it with a cigar. Maybe a Hoyo Epicure would be good here?

If you've got something with a bit more bite like a very hoppy American-style IPA or a rich, dark ale, then your choices are a bit more varied. I've actually found some extremely hoppy beers do the exact opposite and overpower the cigar.

In my experience you can get some really interesting combinations with beer and cigars but it's tricky to get it right compared to, say, whisky or rum, where it's hard to go wrong.

What does anyone else think?

daverave999
03-09-2009, 02:36 PM
What kind of beer? Real ale or otherwise?

bigbarneyhotdog
03-09-2009, 04:18 PM
I drink mainly Belgie beers and quite a few UK Ales, I think they all go well with any type of cigar :smoke:

Stevieboy
03-09-2009, 05:48 PM
Hoegaarden tastes great with cigars....and everything else in the world....I'd put the stuff on my cornflakes if I could :hail::hail::hail:

deltawhisky
03-09-2009, 05:52 PM
To be honest, chaps and chapettes, beer is not my favourite pairing for a good stick. But Stevieboy, I'll second Hoegaarden - it's light as air itself!

Simon-JG-hr
03-09-2009, 06:27 PM
I've found certain beers to be excellent partners with a cigar.

As Olls suggests, a good, hoppy IPA would be a solid choice. With some of the sweeter cigars, a strong bitter would be an excellent accompaniment - contrasting with the cigar, which really draws out the sweet flavours which define the stick.

Something quite malty, like a good mild, will go well with a light cigar which has the drier, slightly bitter flavours (such as wood and coffee).

With very, very few exceptions I'd not pair anything more than medium flavoured with a beer.

Olls
04-09-2009, 08:51 AM
Here's a great article about matching beer with food by Garrett Oliver. He has a book on the subject that is supposed to be very good and I've been meaning to pick-up for ages. I think you could apply many of the same principles to cigars.

http://www.allaboutbeer.com/features/243beerandfood.html

I'd love to try a smoked beer like Schenkerla Rauchbier (not sure on the spelling) with a cigar - bet that would go beautifully.

jimmy_g32
04-09-2009, 12:44 PM
As much as I love both a good cigar and a good beer (and peaty scotch) I can't stand rauchbier. There is something a bit stale about it - more like an ashtray than a cigar, for me. Having said that, my father makes the same accusation at Laphroaig...there's no accountint for taste.

Olls
04-09-2009, 01:27 PM
Haha! Very true - taste is a funny thing.

It's definitely a "marmite" type-of beer. I find it has an almost medicinal taste, if you know what I mean. Wouldn't want much of it but I quite like it.

Lascaux
04-09-2009, 05:23 PM
i often pair a trappist with a cigar,
also hefe/dunkelweissens, wiehennstephan franziskaner paulaner etc, nicely rich and sweet

i quite like light lagers especially at the end of a cigar just to lighten it a bit

snooky
13-09-2009, 05:18 PM
I drink real ale every friday with a smoke luv it ,given the choice a nice single malt x

cohibaIV
13-09-2009, 05:27 PM
I LOVE a bottle of cold Miller with a cigar...

Love it...:41:

larrysputnik
13-09-2009, 05:50 PM
Lion Stout is a fantastic beer to pair with a cigar, but I think the best beer/cigar combo experience I ever had was with a Rogue Juniper Pale Ale bomber and a Partagas D4.

tippexx
21-10-2009, 05:08 PM
Moretti or Peroni Reserve (Red) not the Nastro Azzurro (Blue) which is proberbly too light. You can get them in Tesco though they're a bit ziltch for cigars.

Oh, and if you ever see it try Moretti Draught, it's excellent!

moosekelly
21-10-2009, 10:57 PM
I'm making a habit of this, but here goes:- Guinness and a cigar can't be beat. Have to agree with Cohiba too, cold bottles are a great accompaniment.

G-man
22-10-2009, 05:41 AM
:eviltongue: This is my thought on the idea of cigars and beer!!!
I for one could never get past the taste. Now rum and cokes with a fine Puro
well thats a perfect match! .02

Davros
02-11-2009, 08:40 PM
http://www.food-styling.cz/files/portfolio/beer-styling/krusovice_cerne_tmave.jpg

Look no further, end of thread.:tongue:

Mr_White
02-11-2009, 10:37 PM
Try Wychwood ales, my favourite is hob goblin, I can't imagine it'd go well with lighter cigars though.

cj121
02-11-2009, 11:37 PM
My wife and I were out for a meal last week celebrating my birthday and I had a glass of this Nice lager (http://www.kasteelcru.co.uk/home.html) . Although it was a restaurant, I thought this would go well with a cigar, for future reference. It was light and a bit 'zingy'. The bottle stated it was made with the same yeast as Champagne, although there's no mention of that on the website. Nice drop:smile:

nicwing
03-11-2009, 11:00 AM
I'm making a habit of this, but here goes:- Guinness and a cigar can't be beat. Have to agree with Cohiba too, cold bottles are a great accompaniment.

Moose beat me too it, Guinness and a cigar is great, not the really cold stuff mind, I find that kills the flavour (of the Guinness)

nicwing
03-11-2009, 11:02 AM
My wife and I were out for a meal last week celebrating my birthday and I had a glass of this Nice larger (http://www.kasteelcru.co.uk/home.html) . Although it was a restaurant, I thought this would go well with a cigar, for future reference. It was light and a bit 'zingy'. The bottle stated it was made with the same yeast as Champagne, although there's no mention of that on the website. Nice drop:smile:

Typical CJ class there!

Where can you buy it CJ, looks interesting, I would like to give it a try.

cj121
03-11-2009, 08:05 PM
N,

We were the La Bistro Pierre in Leamington. I know they are chain
as in here (http://www.lebistrotpierre.co.uk/) but not many of them by the looks of things. Outside of there, the beer's website mentions ordering on it, but I'm buggered if I've looked yet, sorry.

Gryph
07-01-2010, 11:14 PM
Possible borderline thread necro... but - that champagne yeast lager can be had from Sainsburys (or at least in Shropshire it can). Cracking drink too, very crisp with a decent kick.

Drewmidorn
08-01-2010, 02:01 AM
Tea is the drink for a cigar! Everyone else is wrong!

lol

(Tea really is the drink though... strong with milk and honey... and D4)

yoruba hacker
08-01-2010, 04:47 AM
Never liked beer with habanos. Strictly coffee, scotch, rum, bourbon and port, for my palate.

EugeneSax
08-01-2010, 11:35 AM
Moose beat me too it, Guinness and a cigar is great, not the really cold stuff mind, I find that kills the flavour (of the Guinness)

Regular trips to an Irish pub near work (The O'Connor Don) via JJ Foxes @ Selfridges for an ERDM Demi Tasse & a Guinness was how I got into proper cigars - still one of my favourite drink/smoke combos.

I find Monte's go well with a decent ale - my usual choice being a 5 (which despite their size always seem to pack a bit more punch than a 4), but if time/circumstance/finance permit, then a 2 (mind you with a a good 2 on the go I don't really care what's in my glass - even a horrible fizzy larger would do).

Boss Hog
08-01-2010, 12:16 PM
I like a beer every now and then but for some reason I can never get on with them together.
I think it's the fizzyness that put me off the smoke.

cohibaIV
08-01-2010, 02:40 PM
Try Wychwood ales, my favourite is hob goblin, I can't imagine it'd go well with lighter cigars though.

My local has just got Hob Goblin in as a guest beer, bloody lovely from the pump. having a pint of it now and a Punch Churchill is crying out to be smoked with it...