Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 assumptions for avoiding fake cigars - beginners guide

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 10 assumptions for avoiding fake cigars - beginners guide

4 Not allowed!

There has been a lot of discussion about identifying fake cigars. To old-hands this is a second nature practice but several years of real boxes through your hands are needed to gain the experience.

I think I can summarise some foolproof assumptions to spot fake Cuban cigars that in my experience will be 90-99% effective (there will be a few exceptions but who wants to take a chance?). Following these rules will not guarantee legitimate cigars but it will massively reduce your chances of buying fakes.

1. If you do not trust the supplier they are fake
    2. If they are on Gumtree they are fake
    3. If they are on Ebay they are fake
    4. If they are on Craigslist they are fake
    5. If they are half there price that they retail for in Cuba they are fake
    6. If the person supplying them claims they 'know' anyone in Cuba they are fake
    7. If they were purchased anywhere in North America they are fake (unless from a known and trusted private collector)
    8. If they were purchased anywhere in the Cuba (or the rest of the Caribbean ...or the rest of the world) not from an official source (like a LCDH or authorised Habanos retailer) they are fake
    9. If they were purchased in Cuba anywhere except an official shop they are fake
    10. If the warranty stickers are incorrect, not stuck to the box, not in the right place they are fake

NB - I am not addressing the world of serious high-end counterfeit cigars with this guide. That is a far bigger subject but anyone buying serious cigars (at auctions etc) should be well versed on the subject.
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Bolivar View Post
    Little medical correction there Steve, you will surely die...but not from smoking these

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I think that's for lighting electronic cigarettes

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by monkey66 View Post
    There has been a lot of discussion about identifying fake cigars. To old-hands this is a second nature practice but several years of real boxes through your hands are needed to gain the experience.

I think I can summarise some foolproof assumptions to spot fake Cuban cigars that in my experience will be 90-99% effective (there will be a few exceptions but who wants to take a chance?). Following these rules will not guarantee legitimate cigars but it will massively reduce your chances of buying fakes.

1. If you do not trust the supplier they are fake
    2. If they are on Gumtree they are fake
    3. If they are on Ebay they are fake
    4. If they are on Craigslist they are fake
    5. If they are half there price that they retail for in Cuba they are fake
    6. If the person supplying them claims they 'know' anyone in Cuba they are fake
    7. If they were purchased anywhere in North America they are fake (unless from a known and trusted private collector)
    8. If they were purchased anywhere in the Cuba (or the rest of the Caribbean ...or the rest of the world) not from an official source (like a LCDH or authorised Habanos retailer) they are fake
    9. If they were purchased in Cuba anywhere except an official shop they are fake
    10. If the warranty stickers are incorrect, not stuck to the box, not in the right place they are fake

NB - I am not addressing the world of serious high-end counterfeit cigars with this guide. That is a far bigger subject but anyone buying serious cigars (at auctions etc) should be well versed on the subject.

I think you should add Ricardo to your list monk .... a minefield of dodgy cigars .... although in saying that A BOTL mate recently took a punt, got them, walked them into Davidoff Geneva who confirmed them as genuine .... full 25 box of Cuban Davidoff No 2 .... €70.
    If you want to, you can.
    And, if you can, you must!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

Most important is number 1,least important number 10 (we've all seen the quality of Cuban quality control)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

good list paul and i agree with sligub if you do not know or trust your source do not buy

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

I take it there is rarely a bargain in the cigar world.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by ValeTudoGuy View Post
    I take it there is rarely a bargain in the cigar world.
    Please see post bellow bargin

Quote Originally Posted by tippexx View Post
    although in saying that A BOTL mate recently took a punt, got them, walked them into Davidoff Geneva who confirmed them as genuine .... full 25 box of Cuban Davidoff No 2 .... 70.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Not allowed!

Good, solid advice. This old adage serves me well, "if it seems too good to be true, it probably is."

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Sligub View Post
    Please see post bellow bargin
    At 70 for 25 I would probably buy anything on a punt, even if they were only as good as some of the worst cigars I have tried it would be close to worth it.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by monkey66 View Post
    The exception (although probably in the 'righ place' for this particular box), watch at around 4:10
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBW8zuxEigg
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Bolivar View Post
    Little medical correction there Steve, you will surely die...but not from smoking these

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I think that's for lighting electronic cigarettes

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

Interesting nice humidor mmm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    A woman is an occasional pleasure but a cigar is always a smoke

Groucho Marx