What RH do you favour?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by K444HEP View Post
    Does anyone store at 62RH? Considering experimenting as I currently keep my sticks at 65 but notice fluctuation between 62 and 67 - I assume owing to temperature changes. Cigars all taste great and are not wet. Would coming down to 62 be beneficial or pointless?
    If the cigars taste great already, i would see little point in messing with things !
    Only the impossible is worth the effort.

JEANETTE WINTERSON,

Comment

Originally posted by thedame007 View Post
      If the cigars taste great already, i would see little point in messing with things !
      Yes, I think you?re right. I might get one 62 Boveda, isolate two or three sticks in a tupperdor and see if there is any noticeable difference. I?d rather not swap out all of my 65s though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

65% works for me but I’d agree with your suggestion above Adam, get a boveda and try it out on a few sticks before you go to the full expense and effort of changing them all out.

Comment

Another reason why I like the 65 setting is due to the fluctuations you mention above due to temp - at times it could be 63 in there or 67, it does depend on the temp and what level the smokes are on in the larger unit. But these RHs are stil within the safe zone for storing and smoking. If I had 62s I’d fear I would see a drop to the high 50s which would not be good for my mental well being!

BUT setting up a 62 drybox will be an interesting experiment, and of used to dry your up and coming to be smoked cigars, it would work practically
          Only the impossible is worth the effort.

JEANETTE WINTERSON,

Comment

All excellent points Greg/Alex.

I noticed such a difference when I went from 72 to 65 around 18 months ago that I?m curious if the flavours will be more/less pronounced with a drier stick. I suppose there?s always the option of dry-boxing to lower the RH prior to smoking too.

Comment

Originally posted by thedame007 View Post
              Another reason why I like the 65 setting is due to the fluctuations you mention above due to temp - at times it could be 63 in there or 67, it does depend on the temp and what level the smokes are on in the larger unit. But these RHs are stil within the safe zone for storing and smoking. If I had 62s I’d fear I would see a drop to the high 50s which would not be good for my mental well being!

BUT setting up a 62 drybox will be an interesting experiment, and of used to dry your up and coming to be smoked cigars, it would work practically
              You’d not be able to sleep if the RH drops into the 50’s

A man who went to the effort of freezing his entire collection let’s not forget

Comment

Originally posted by K444HEP View Post
                All excellent points Greg/Alex.

I noticed such a difference when I went from 72 to 65 around 18 months ago that I’m curious if the flavours will be more/less pronounced with a drier stick. I suppose there’s always the option of dry-boxing to lower the RH prior to smoking too.

72% is way too high in my opinion, I image you had terrible burn issues. Dryboxijg is an interesting idea that I’ve not tried yet, I need to get my hands on a small humi.

Comment

What RH do you favour?

Originally posted by Alexw33 View Post
                  72% is way too high in my opinion, I image you had terrible burn issues. Dryboxijg is an interesting idea that I?ve not tried yet, I need to get my hands on a small humi.
                  I did - wonky burn, numerous re-lights, bitter sticks. I learnt very quickly that wetter is not always better!

Comment

Originally posted by Alexw33 View Post
                    72% is way too high in my opinion, I image you had terrible burn issues. Dryboxijg is an interesting idea that I?ve not tried yet, I need to get my hands on a small humi.
                    A old cigar box would do for dry boxing I would have thought. As you only do it for a few days

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SHAMZ84 View Post
                      A old cigar box would do for dry boxing I would have thought. As you only do it for a few days

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
                      Cigars. The only time a dry, old box is acceptable!

Comment

A 62 Boveda in a wooden humidor will only acheive high 50's as there is always a drop in humidity due to the wood. Ok if you are putting it in a tupperdore however.

Comment

I know some prefer 63-62% for long term aging but there is always conditions which make the humidity go up & down & 60 & less will lead to brittle wrappers & will be rather dry in the middle (especially on larger RG's. I keep mine with 65% Boveda's these days & minor up's 7 down's don't cause any problems. I might dry box 28RG's before smoking e.g. LGCNo3's or RG Slenderella's but 32RG+ usually smoke fine @ 65%.
                          Simon Bolivar: Liberator of Bolivia, Ecuador, Peru & Venezuela.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Bolivar View Post
                            I know some prefer 63-62% for long term aging but there is always conditions which make the humidity go up & down & 60 & less will lead to brittle wrappers & will be rather dry in the middle (especially on larger RG's. I keep mine with 65% Boveda's these days & minor up's 7 down's don't cause any problems. I might dry box 28RG's before smoking e.g. LGCNo3's or RG Slenderella's but 32RG+ usually smoke fine @ 65%.
                            How many bovedas do you get through? It would cost me a fortune to maintain mine exclusively with them.

I think once you get to a cabinet active humidification is the way to go costwise

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Hardly a fortune; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Full-Box-....c100005.m1851
                              Under ?30 for a dozen. I bought these last Sept & they are maintain three 5-7 drawer Humi's & four Cooladors. My Aristocrat has a cup of de-ionised water & a fan & maintains a steady 65 -68%. By re-charging the Boveda's before the hard crystals can be felt, they'll last for several years.
                              Simon Bolivar: Liberator of Bolivia, Ecuador, Peru & Venezuela.

Comment

For smaller Cubans(smaller than robusto size)and short fillers(including NCs) 62% is high enough...any higher than that and you get draw problems and bitterness,New world cigars tend to burn and taste as they should do upto 70% i find,its the age old quality control problem with Cubans in comparison to NCs. Especially on sticka being too tightly rolled

Sent from my LG-M250 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X