User Tag List

Thread: Traveling to Cuba and buying cigars

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Traveling to Cuba and buying cigars

1 Not allowed!

Just stumbled across this blog post http://annaeverywhere.com/visit-cuba-ethically/

The above article says about buying cigars in Cuba?
    "It turned out that every tobacco farmer is forced to give the government 90% of their produce. They pay an absolutely ridiculously low money for the amount of work involved. The governmental factory then adds chemicals to the tobacco, seals the cigars with a glue and fancy stickers, packs them in a nice box, and sells them at an insane markup in government-run shops. We paid less than 1/3 of the price the cigars normally costs and they were seriously the same, minus the fancy sticker."

I guess the ethical writer has no experience of cigars and fell for the local farmers own marketing? Chemicals...?

So I've no experience myself. I know little of the custom rollers from lcdh shops and hotels. I think is where most custom rolls come from.

What about farm cigars as mentioned in the article?

Do many locals smoke cigars? What to they smoke? I've read a little about peso cigars. Quinteros and Jose L Piedra have been mentioned as similar.

I need to learn Spanish and go to Cuba

Sent from the interwebz
    Last edited by ha_banos; 12-09-2018 at 12:08 PM.
    .--
    I think I may finally have this CAD under control...

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

My little experience and one 3 week visit has taught me that The locals including the farmers do smoke quite a lot of cigars. But they are bandless who knows what cigars. The farmers can keep 10% of their harvests, and I think that would go a long way locally. We rolled at a farm in Vinales, and I then bought a tourist bundle of 10 cigars for 7 CUC. They’re crap, but can be smoked. Alex’s cigars are 4 CUC a stick and they’re awesome, but way way beyond the local guys budget.

Mentioned
    620 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

I traded with @Krist for a couple of farm rolls he picked up in Vinales. Construction looks perfect but they've been sitting in a humidor for two years because they smelled like a farmyard at the time and he said the one he smoked was strong. Next summer probably.
    'Cigars are a hobby, cigarettes an addiction'

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

I had some farm rolled's that I brought on site in Pinar del Rio & they were perfect & a similar profile to Monte's. I had one rolled at the Robina fina - perfect & 24 bought from Villa de Conde & their construction was fine, did improve over a couple of yrs but to large a RG for me.
    Simon Bolivar: Liberator of Bolivia, Ecuador, Peru & Venezuela.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation There’s a storm a comin’

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Bolivar View Post
    ...did improve over a couple of yrs but to large a RG for me.
    Haha! No such thing as “too large a RG” according to the lovely, señorita Catalina*

But what the hell does she know! I’m with Señor Simon on this one.

Juggler Boy

Not me! The bigger the better, I always say. Hello boys! Names, Jay, Ray Jay, and I’ll be back!
    Vaya con Dios, Amigos! - don TJ and the Coros