Thread: Herfing with Simon Bolivar

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default May Leave Part 2

2 Not allowed!

May Leave Part 2own in Bournemouth & a morning smoke with coffee, works well as a cocktail stick as well of course: 2002 Punch Margaritas.Punch.Marg.2019.05.18.DSC_2048.1.jpgPunch.Marg.2019.05.17.DSC_2050a.1.jpg Afternoon Smoke H.Upmann LCDHH.Upmann.LCDH.2019.05.20.DSC_2063.1.jpgH.Upmann.LCDH.2019.05.20.DSC_2067.1.jpg. Back in Antwerp a La Esecpcion SFLaEscep.ER2010.SF.201905.08.DSC_1989.1.jpgLaEscep.ER2010.SF.2019.05.08.DSC_1993.1.jpgLaEscep.ER2010.SF.2019.05.08.DSC_1997.1.jpgLaEscep.ER2010.SF.2019.05.08.DSC_1987.1.jpgSplendid model, sleek, tasty, smooth performance, some say it's glamour has faded with age but I think it still delivers. The E Type I spotted that morning on my walk was rather dashing too! And on a trip to the Antwerp Piano Bar, to collect a complete box of Boli' DT's 2000 from MJ, I chose to celebrate with this fine looking stick, generously gifted by Mike G. Seemed the only appropriate place to smoke it after I noticed these are 120+ on our sponser's site!H.Upmann.GR.2019.05.10.DSC_2015.1.jpgH.Upmann.GR.2019.05.10.DSC_2020.1.jpg Well this is a GR Sir Winnie & to be fair I find these too light for my tastes, I know they are supposed to be the CA's cigar of choice but not for this one. However with all the hype & current pricing of this Havana, I expected something extra special (well wouldn't you?). On the positive side it was perfectly constructed, the wrapper was smooth & of the finest quality, it certainly looked the part. I started with a coffee & that was a good choice as the begining was very mild. By the time I finished the first quarter I was on to the Corsendonk Angus & perhaps that was a mistake, lovely Belgian beer but perhaps a bit too strong for this cigar. Anyway to my tastes & limited experience of Sir Win's (only smoked half a dozen), this was no different to one aged a few yrs. I enjoyed it & it matched the evening & the venue but no Wow! factor. I thank Mike for allowing me to try it & I have sent him one of my very limited stock of Boli 109's & I look fwd to hearing his review of that. I think this cigar would justify the 30 price range (which I assume was the release price) but unless you're a Sir Win' fanatic with a large bonus to blow, I couldn't recommend paying the current crazy asking price in the UK.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Simon Bolivar: Liberator of Bolivia, Ecuador, Peru & Venezuela.

Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Bolivar View Post
    May Leave Part 2own in Bournemouth & a morning smoke with coffee, works well as a cocktail stick as well of course: 2002 Punch Margaritas.Punch.Marg.2019.05.18.DSC_2048.1.jpgPunch.Marg.2019.05.17.DSC_2050a.1.jpg Afternoon Smoke H.Upmann LCDHH.Upmann.LCDH.2019.05.20.DSC_2063.1.jpgH.Upmann.LCDH.2019.05.20.DSC_2067.1.jpg. Back in Antwerp a La Esecpcion SFLaEscep.ER2010.SF.201905.08.DSC_1989.1.jpgLaEscep.ER2010.SF.2019.05.08.DSC_1993.1.jpgLaEscep.ER2010.SF.2019.05.08.DSC_1997.1.jpgLaEscep.ER2010.SF.2019.05.08.DSC_1987.1.jpgSplendid model, sleek, tasty, smooth performance, some say it's glamour has faded with age but I think it still delivers. The E Type I spotted that morning on my walk was rather dashing too! And on a trip to the Antwerp Piano Bar, to collect a complete box of Boli' DT's 2000 from MJ, I chose to celebrate with this fine looking stick, generously gifted by Mike G. Seemed the only appropriate place to smoke it after I noticed these are 120+ on our sponser's site!H.Upmann.GR.2019.05.10.DSC_2015.1.jpgH.Upmann.GR.2019.05.10.DSC_2020.1.jpg Well this is a GR Sir Winnie & to be fair I find these too light for my tastes, I know they are supposed to be the CA's cigar of choice but not for this one. However with all the hype & current pricing of this Havana, I expected something extra special (well wouldn't you?). On the positive side it was perfectly constructed, the wrapper was smooth & of the finest quality, it certainly looked the part. I started with a coffee & that was a good choice as the begining was very mild. By the time I finished the first quarter I was on to the Corsendonk Angus & perhaps that was a mistake, lovely Belgian beer but perhaps a bit too strong for this cigar. Anyway to my tastes & limited experience of Sir Win's (only smoked half a dozen), this was no different to one aged a few yrs. I enjoyed it & it matched the evening & the venue but no Wow! factor. I thank Mike for allowing me to try it & I have sent him one of my very limited stock of Boli 109's & I look fwd to hearing his review of that. I think this cigar would justify the 30 price range (which I assume was the release price) but unless you're a Sir Win' fanatic with a large bonus to blow, I couldn't recommend paying the current crazy asking price in the UK.
    Interesting to read your thoughts on the Sir Winnie GR. They were a little more expensive though, €65 a pop!

I will definitely write up my thoughts once I had the Boli 109! Many thanks for it again!
    Looking for some SCdLH El Morro.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by gojira View Post
    Interesting to read your thoughts on the Sir Winnie GR. They were a little more expensive though, 65 a pop!

I will definitely write up my thoughts once I had the Boli 109! Many thanks for it again!
    Just my opinion of course Mike, bearing in mind I am not a fan of Sir Winnie's but I think you'd agree, you'd expect a noticeable difference to a standard production version with 5yrs on it, for that money?

Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Bolivar View Post
    Just my opinion of course Mike, bearing in mind I am not a fan of Sir Winnie's but I think you'd agree, you'd expect a noticeable difference to a standard production version with 5yrs on it, for that money?
    I definitely agree with you. I will sample one in the future and judge for myself but I've read a few times now that they smoke just like regular production.

The Hoyo Reserva is supposed to be a good cigar though. Haven't sampled them yet.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by gojira View Post
    I definitely agree with you. I will sample one in the future and judge for myself but I've read a few times now that they smoke just like regular production.

The Hoyo Reserva is supposed to be a good cigar though. Haven't sampled them yet.
    I look fwd to reading your review of the Sir Win' Mike, as well as the Boli' 109. I won't be buying even a single Hoyo to try as I just can't imagine it will be any better than my stock, which is over a decade old & therefore not worth paying the extra for a pretty label.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

Mike ..the 109 is a fine cigar but not as strong as you'd expect from Bolivar. Not be smoked after a strong curry or a heavy meal..... Kind of like the Poderosos if you've had one of them

Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Stevieboy View Post
    Mike ..the 109 is a fine cigar but not as strong as you'd expect from Bolivar. Not be smoked after a strong curry or a heavy meal..... Kind of like the Poderosos if you've had one of them
    I'll keep that in mind Steve, I'm much more of an afternoon smoker anyways. I have a Poderoso but didn't smoke it yet.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

May leave Part 3:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Not allowed!

Enjoy Simon.
    David