Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Medical dilemma

Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Medical dilemma

0 Not allowed!

I assume because i told the hospital that i smoked cigars, a couple of a week, they made a point of telling me that smoking will inhibit the healing process, particularly of extremities . Apparently the smoke reduces the oxygen levels in the blood which is what promotes healing. Also it would appear that even not inhaling, nicotine is absorbed through the mucous membranes in your mouth, which is presumably why some cigars give you a nicotine hit. I am inclined to think that because I am otherwise healthy, particularly if I were to smoke outside, where I am not inhaling second-hand smoke, that the negative effect of a medium-sized cigar on the healing process, would be outweighed by the positive effect on my mental well-being! I realise that posing this question to a group of cigar smokers that the answer might be skewed , but what are people's thoughts ?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Not allowed!

For me, the positive effect on my mental health - when I relax and enjoy a cigar, far outweighs any potential medical issue it may cause.

Mentioned
    665 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
    For me, the positive effect on my mental health - when I relax and enjoy a cigar, far outweighs any potential medical issue it may cause.
    Absolutely!
    'Cigars are a hobby, cigarettes an addiction'

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

Even if you smoked one a month, you are still classed as a smoker; I bet that they give the same spiel to someone who smokes 40 cigarettes a day (this is NOT a criticism of the NHS by the way!) I think you’re spot on - if having a cigar of an evening makes you feel content and relaxed, go for it! All the best with your recovery mate.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

I find it difficult to take general advice. I will always say I don't smoke. If I suffer as a result of cigar smoking it's on me.

I'm more worried about diesel fumes in London

Most cigar smokers are older. There doesn't seem to be an epidemic of problems as a result. Maybe I should look for the medical evidence harder...
    .--
    I think I may finally have this CAD under control...

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by moteyi View Post
    I assume because i told the hospital that i smoked cigars, a couple of a week, they made a point of telling me that smoking will inhibit the healing process, particularly of extremities . Apparently the smoke reduces the oxygen levels in the blood which is what promotes healing. Also it would appear that even not inhaling, nicotine is absorbed through the mucous membranes in your mouth, which is presumably why some cigars give you a nicotine hit. I am inclined to think that because I am otherwise healthy, particularly if I were to smoke outside, where I am not inhaling second-hand smoke, that the negative effect of a medium-sized cigar on the healing process, would be outweighed by the positive effect on my mental well-being! I realise that posing this question to a group of cigar smokers that the answer might be skewed , but what are people's thoughts ?

it is oxygen level related... but also there are lots of chemicals in smoke (worse in cigarettes) that are not great for the skin. they are materially more 'in' you through your lungs... and that isnt good on any level.

Onions... due to high levels of silicates are incredibly good for skin elasticity and recovery. Similarly being hydrated makes for better healing.

But think about it...
    "Dear heart, you're talking to a man- a real man- who drinks straight Tequilla, with lime and salt on the rim, and smokes cigars" (J Zavala)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

When I had de tal surgery, I was told not to smoke for 5 days after because of the neg effects on healing. Made sense to me & I duely abstained. I would advise anyone facing surgery or invasive medical procedures to do the same.

However, then taking this & assuming we seriously harming ourselves when smoking a few cigars a week, is pushing it. Is it healthier not to consume tobacco or alcohol - yes of course but made has used mood changing chemicals for thousands of yrs, it's part of the human condition. I think the de-stressing argument is a good one, unless you already have a medical condition involving: heart, lungs or cancers. We are all grown ups on here & we pays our money &takes our chances. I believe in moderation rather than abstention.
    Simon Bolivar: Liberator of Bolivia, Ecuador, Peru & Venezuela.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Not allowed!

Agreed Simon.
    I love the R&R that a cigar provides. I smoke 3-4 cigars a week and only at the weekend.... unless I'm in holiday then I smoke like a fiend

Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Not allowed!

Well having returned to hospital yesterday to have the finger dressed and see a physio I've decided to abstain from cigars until the wound starts to heal over as although the nurse was happy with it to me it still looks pretty grim. The good news was that they said that as long as I felt confident doing an emergency stop I could drive again, the bad news was caffeine intake should be kept to a minimum as apparently caffeine can also affect circulation!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Not allowed!

Smoking is bad for surgery.

You might drop the ash in the incision.

Cigars aren't good for you but I think they are less harmful than a lot of things we do or are subjected to in this modern world.
    If you enjoy then do it in moderation.