Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Min Ron Nee

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Min Ron Nee

0 Not allowed!

Uh oh...ive just discovered that MRN, legendary author of CC reference books, does not exist. It seems it's a nom de plume! Im not convinced it's even one man - can't find a single photo of "him" and all the reports from 'flying cigar'are suspiciously effusive and vague. Could MRN be a team of people?

It unfolds more like a James Bond film...who is Scorpio???
    David

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

We always knew it was a nom de plume did we not, I believe it is definitely a real person and personally believe it is one man but with this game we learn with our peer's so would imagine you could blur that line a tad.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

Most information seems to imply it's one man, but I guess you never really know, well unless you've met him!
    Is the flyingcigar site known for wrong information?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Not allowed!

Nothing wrong with Nino's information, it's not the world's biggest mystery MRN doesn't care to be known, he's an invaluable source of information that he chose to share.

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 Not allowed!

I always thought Min Ron Nee was a forum handle, much like sheppsea or puff o' wind, although I can't say where I got that from

Everything I've read about him suggests it is one man. When we had the previous discussion I seem to remember Nino posting a direct reply from him

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Not allowed!

Flying Cigar is the ďblogĒ of Nino Munoz, heís a solid person within the community and it seems he knows MRN personally, so I choose to believe heís one person, probably a filantropic millionaire/billionaire and cigar collector but most certainly out of Hong Kong.
    He COULD potentially be the late Sir David Tang!

The encyclopaedia is a good example of a filantropic attempt to shed light on an otherwise elusive collection, as often seen by collectors. I have the book and use it quite extensively to further my general knowledge of cigars, but itís not that useful today.
    There has been attempt to update it to a second edition - much extended, but no news on this project has come out for some years. The way I see it is, that itís a never ending task as it will never be complete at any given time. That may be the reason it could have been abandoned - filantropists usually get bored when a collection feels complete at a given state and have already been catalogued once.

It doesnít really matter who it is - time has passed but the original work still stands as a very good work of reference for in depth knowledge on cigars until very recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

No, it doesn't matter who it is...but it is intriguing. I liked the look of his expensive new book (s) but still feel that for encyclopaedias the time has passed when paper was the best option, regardless of quality. Anyway, that wasn't my point...thanks for the replies about MRN.
    David

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

I believe the whole project was shelved for the 2nd edition.

I would always prefer a printed encylopedia over a digital one.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyGunz View Post
    I believe the whole project was shelved for the 2nd edition.
    I would always prefer a printed encylopedia over a digital one.
    Same! I'd love a good coffee table style cigar book full stop, might see what's out there. An in depth encyclopedia would be even better though

Mentioned
    639 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by simwells View Post
    Same! I'd love a good coffee table style cigar book full stop, might see what's out there. An in depth encyclopedia would be even better though
    Look for ‘The book of the Habanos’, it includes a dvd and a ring guage
    'Cigars are a hobby, cigarettes an addiction'