Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: July 2019

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by thedame007 View Post
    Well given the unique set up for this COTM I decided to turn these beauties to ash side by side!

Cold Draw

Connecticut (C) - beautiful construction, just the right amount of resistance. This gave off a barnyard note, but weirdly also reminded me of Horlicks; all milky oatmeal.

Manduro (M) - again, construction is faultless, and also had the barnyard notes but also a sweet leatheriness to it.

1st third

C - A honey sweetness gets the party started, with a cinnamon spice, all followed by a buttery mouthfeel and milky notes.

M - Rich chocolate and coffee is the kicker here, but also the cinnamon notes as with the sister stick. By the latter puffs a treacle sweetness started to emerge.

2nd third

C - Cinnamon spice continues, but it starts to become quite floral with a vanilla creaminess to it. However, by the end of this third white pepper shows his face, gatecrashes the party.

M - Treacle comes into its own, followed by the sweet spices. Reminds me of rum, with its sticky, dried fruitiness. Delicious!

Final third -

C - White pepper is in control of the music, and it’s a spicy affair! Wood starts to come through in the final inch, or I guess someone left their toast too long under the grill.

M - It’s a piss up! Like a rum soaked fruitcake that has Aunty Doris telling the family about the time she gave the vicar a happy ending. Like the vicar, I was gleefully pulled along for the ride, and sad when then car pulled up to its final destination!

I really enjoyed these smokes! Both were tasty in their own right, and for all flavour notes were shared (I’m looking at you vanilla and cinnamon), the wrappers really did change their overall nature. Like twin sisters separated at birth, and raised by two very different families!

Great way to see how the wrappers invoke their mark upon the cigar as a whole, and a brilliant COTM experiment! Thank you, sir for the pleasure!

For what it’s worth, I’ll be getting a box of the manduros (hold on Doris, there’s juice left in the vicar), but I will also grab a fistful of the Connecticut’s too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Excellent review, I’m not sure I’ve seen two cigars smoked at the same time before, and tasty sticks by the sound of it.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

Awesome review, I wish my palate was as good as yours!

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

Cheers chaps, I have found in the past that smoking two different smokes at once really helps you to focus and pull out the flavours of each. I used to think it would muddy the pallet, but so far it’s worked well for me
    Only the impossible is worth the effort.

JEANETTE WINTERSON,

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

Haven't had them both at the same time yet, will have to try...

Great review!

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Not allowed!

Well smoked the dark wrapper one tonight - I liked it! you can taste the smooth buttery taste, cream and heavily toasted bread - the spice and cinnamon aroma always there with a particular sourness which I like - not sure if this is youth, but the only other cigar this reminds me of, in that the tastes are at times vying for your attention - and that would be the Dalay Limitada. I know itís not this particular cigar, but I would hazard a guess itís from the same family marque

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

Excellent reviews...im awaiting a quiet time to smoke mine
    David

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Not allowed!

The construction is excellent!

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tomm783 View Post
    The construction is excellent!

Yeah, real good. My Ash is usually whiter than what it looks like on your picture. Did you enjoy the flavour?

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Vitola View Post
    Well smoked the dark wrapper one tonight - I liked it! you can taste the smooth buttery taste, cream and heavily toasted bread - the spice and cinnamon aroma always there with a particular sourness which I like - not sure if this is youth, but the only other cigar this reminds me of, in that the tastes are at times vying for your attention - and that would be the Dalay Limitada. I know itís not this particular cigar, but I would hazard a guess itís from the same family marque
    I have to check again if Dominican tobacco was used in this one, but I think not. The dalay limitada is a Dominican puro. But I see what you mean, there is definitely a resemblance.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Niela View Post
    Yeah, real good. My Ash is usually whiter than what it looks like on your picture. Did you enjoy the flavour?

It was whiter, just the light in the picture. It was enjoyable yes, not a clue what it is though!!