Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cigar Age

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Cigar Age

0 Not allowed!

Is there a minimum age a CC should be before smoking? I know they get better with age but as a novice will I even notice the difference between a CC which is a year old and the same one 5 years old?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 Not allowed!

The only way to know for sure is to experiment and find out for yourself what works for you, everybody is different. That being said it’s said that you should not smoke Cubans that are less than a year old, this is not as important as it used to be in my opinion as the blends now seem to be easier to approach young.

The best way to experiment with this is to buy a box, or at least a good few cigars from the same box, and smoke one every 6 months or so. Take notes and see how they develop over the next few years.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Not allowed!

Sound advice from Alex.

I would add that certain marcas and vitolas seem to smoke well young and others with significant age i.e. Trinidad Reyes are a joy when they are younger, whereas Cohiba seem to need a good five years to reach their best (all in my opinion/experience).

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

Great advice thank you. I remember reading about 5 years but didnít realise it was aimed at Cohiba.

Iíve just ordered a 2018 box of Trinidad Viagias, should be here tomorrow, will have one in the evening and leave the rest until we get some winter sunshine.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Midas View Post
    Great advice thank you. I remember reading about 5 years but didnít realise it was aimed at Cohiba.

Iíve just ordered a 2018 box of Trinidad Viagias, should be here tomorrow, will have one in the evening and leave the rest until we get some winter sunshine.

In general all cigars will benefit from age IF that is the profile you like! Itís all subjective.

Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

You will definitely notice 1 yr old vs 5yrs old IMO. 4-7 years old is about the sweet spot for most Cubans for me, younger they can be harsh, older they can be boring and too mellow for me. Trial and error is the only way to find what you like really.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by K444HEP View Post
    Sound advice from Alex.

I would add that certain marcas and vitolas seem to smoke well young and others with significant age i.e. Trinidad Reyes are a joy when they are younger, whereas Cohiba seem to need a good five years to reach their best (all in my opinion/experience).

Certainly agree with 5 yrs for Cohiba's, most complaints about genuine Cohiba's being disappointing or having poor draw's are mostly due to lack of ageing & maybe too high humidity.

As for other marca's remember the top face of the RG boxes all say, ' smoke within three months or after one year' this avoids the 'sick period'.
    Simon Bolivar: Liberator of Bolivia, Ecuador, Peru & Venezuela.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Bolivar View Post
    Certainly agree with 5 yrs for Cohiba's, most complaints about genuine Cohiba's being disappointing or having poor draw's are mostly due to lack of ageing & maybe too high humidity.

As for other marca's remember the top face of the RG boxes all say, ' smoke within three months or after one year' this avoids the 'sick period'.
    Iím part of a few Facebook groups and am surprised to see a lot of guys keeping their sticks at 72RH. Again, a preference thing, but wetter is rarely better when it comes to cigars in my experience.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by K444HEP View Post
    Iím part of a few Facebook groups and am surprised to see a lot of guys keeping their sticks at 72RH. Again, a preference thing, but wetter is rarely better when it comes to cigars in my experience.

For smoking no, but for ageing it might be. Thereís a big span of rH within which people prefer to age.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Hookmaker View Post
    For smoking no, but for ageing it might be. Thereís a big span of rH within which people prefer to age.
    For long term ageing in the UK is generally accepted to be best drier e.g. 62-63oC, FB pages with people kept at 72oC, I would expect to be american's, who often talk of smoking them 'wet'!
    Simon Bolivar: Liberator of Bolivia, Ecuador, Peru & Venezuela.