User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31

Thread: Tubed cigars

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    118
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default


    1 Not allowed!

    As much as I'd like to, I cant see myself ever having the patience to keep them away for that long. If only I had a collection big enough to hide a box behind the rest and forget about for a while.... Maybe one day

    Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Worcestershire
    Posts
    3,071
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default


    0 Not allowed!

    Quote Originally Posted by kern47 View Post
    That's the answer to a question I always thought was too stupid to ask... Whether there's a difference when the same cigar is offered tubed/untubed from manufacture.

    I always assumed that the tube was just for protection if you're buying singles or likely to take them out and about. But that's also because I'd read something about ageing/storing being better without the tube (something about them taking on more flavour and being quicker without having the tube acting as a barrier).

    Does ammonia build up and lack of 'breathing' not have an effect when they're stored in a tube though? Something else I've read about when looking into airtight storage.

    Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    years ago I was advised to 'breathe' our humis every few weeks... seems to work well. I've had almost no incidences of mold / bloom. it either means my sticks are in terrible shape or bloom is a load of old c*ck....
    "Dear heart, you're talking to a man- a real man- who drinks straight Tequilla, with lime and salt on the rim, and smokes cigars" (J Zavala)

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    London, North
    Posts
    4,361
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default


    1 Not allowed!

    Quote Originally Posted by Emaresee View Post
    years ago I was advised to 'breathe' our humis every few weeks... seems to work well. I've had almost no incidences of mold / bloom. it either means my sticks are in terrible shape or bloom is a load of old c*ck....
    The 2 way active humidity control seems to help here too. Boveda in with a zip lock for some isolated sticks, no problem. Zip lock + sticks without boveda ... Mould.

    Must work the same with other 2 way humidity systems.

    Tubes I expect rely on the wooden sleeve for this.
    .--
    I think I may finally have this CAD under control...

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Wallington, Surrey
    Posts
    18,747
    Mentioned
    663 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default


    0 Not allowed!

    Tubos are of course the perfect way to transport a few cigars so don't throw away empty tubes afterwards.
    'Cigars are a hobby, cigarettes an addiction'

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Antwerp, Belgium.
    Posts
    6,059
    Blog Entries
    25
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default


    0 Not allowed!

    Quote Originally Posted by kern47 View Post
    As much as I'd like to, I cant see myself ever having the patience to keep them away for that long. If only I had a collection big enough to hide a box behind the rest and forget about for a while.... Maybe one day

    Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Exactly, to age long term you need a large enough collection to have other cigars to smoke, whilst you age. Just take a care, it's surprisingly easy to find yourself in that situation after a few yrs on here! I have only ever bought one box of Tubos & that was this year: Monte Tubos & they are from '08, so there's another tip - the short cut is to buy a box someone else has aged! A wee bit more expensive but life's short.
    Simon Bolivar: Liberator of Bolivia, Ecuador, Peru & Venezuela.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Worcestershire
    Posts
    3,071
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default


    0 Not allowed!

    Quote Originally Posted by ha_banos View Post
    The 2 way active humidity control seems to help here too. Boveda in with a zip lock for some isolated sticks, no problem. Zip lock + sticks without boveda ... Mould.

    Must work the same with other 2 way humidity systems.

    Tubes I expect rely on the wooden sleeve for this.
    preach brother... Boveda or bust...

    other two way humidity sources are available.....
    "Dear heart, you're talking to a man- a real man- who drinks straight Tequilla, with lime and salt on the rim, and smokes cigars" (J Zavala)

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    London, North
    Posts
    4,361
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default


    0 Not allowed!

    Quote Originally Posted by Emaresee View Post
    preach brother... Boveda or bust...

    other two way humidity sources are available.....
    I also use RH beads, but they don't seem as good as boveda bags.

    Not tried heartfelt .. time for another group buy...?
    .--
    I think I may finally have this CAD under control...

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    127
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default


    0 Not allowed!

    I’ve only ever used boveda and never had a problem with them, always 1% of the said percentage


    Daniel

    “ keep calm and smoke a cigar”

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Worcestershire
    Posts
    3,071
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default


    0 Not allowed!

    Quote Originally Posted by ha_banos View Post
    I also use RH beads, but they don't seem as good as boveda bags.

    Not tried heartfelt .. time for another group buy...?
    sticking with boveda... it aint broke etc. apparently larger pack sizes now available for larger spaces like cabinets? think @PeeJay mentioned them recently
    "Dear heart, you're talking to a man- a real man- who drinks straight Tequilla, with lime and salt on the rim, and smokes cigars" (J Zavala)

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    127
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default


    0 Not allowed!

    Quote Originally Posted by Emaresee View Post
    sticking with boveda... it aint broke etc. apparently larger pack sizes now available for larger spaces like cabinets? think @PeeJay mentioned them recently
    Yes there are, I have 2 320gram packs in my humidor! It says they can be used for up to 150cigars


    Daniel

    “ keep calm and smoke a cigar”

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •