Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sharpening a xikar cutter

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tomm783 View Post
    If anyone wants to go full nerd, Iíve got an Edge Pro Apex and itís without question the best blade sharpening tool for any blade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I had something similar before. Not as solid as that one, but the same principle. I found it took ages and I was never that happy with the results. When I first got my whetstones, I was converted. Find they give razor sharp blades fast and easy. It didn't take me much practice to hold the angles right etc.

But I guess these systems are the fool proof way and that one looks quite solid.

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Niela View Post
    I had something similar before. Not as solid as that one, but the same principle. I found it took ages and I was never that happy with the results. When I first got my whetstones, I was converted. Find they give razor sharp blades fast and easy. It didn't take me much practice to hold the angles right etc.

But I guess these systems are the fool proof way and that one looks quite solid.

Did the one you had not use Japanese whetstones? This one does... I tend to work up through the grits then finish with a honing rod. Thereís something rewarding about getting a blade razor sharp (without chipping the blade)!

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

Did the one you had not use Japanese whetstones? This one does... I tend to work up through the grits then finish with a honing rod. Thereís something rewarding about getting a blade razor sharp (without chipping the blade)!

Chipping while sharpening? I removed some chips with the whetstones, but didn't manage to chip them yet.

But yeah, sharp knifes are a game changer in the kitchen. I get excited about it every single time I sharpened them...

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

I thought I'd accidentally logged in to one of my woodworking forums as there are a significant number of woodworkers who will argue until the cows come home about the best way to sharpen edge tools! Take your pick from scary sharp, tormek, pro edge, worksharp, oil stones, water stones, diamond lapping plates - the list goes on and on! I swear that some (non professional) woodworkers spend more time sharpening their tools than they do using them!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Niela View Post
    Chipping while sharpening? I removed some chips with the whetstones, but didn't manage to chip them yet.

But yeah, sharp knifes are a game changer in the kitchen. I get excited about it every single time I sharpened them...

Iíve seen some people not being paying enough going from a low to high grit too quickly, particularly with high HRC steel blades

Mentioned
    677 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

I’ve seen some people not being paying enough going from a low to high grit too quickly, particularly with high HRC steel blades

You know you're now sharpening mine next month right?
    'Cigars are a hobby, cigarettes an addiction'

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by PeeJay View Post
    You know you're now sharpening mine next month right?
    You ply me with sausage sarnies and cigars, Iíll sharpen anything you want

Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by moteyi View Post
    I thought I'd accidentally logged in to one of my woodworking forums as there are a significant number of woodworkers who will argue until the cows come home about the best way to sharpen edge tools! Take your pick from scary sharp, tormek, pro edge, worksharp, oil stones, water stones, diamond lapping plates - the list goes on and on! I swear that some (non professional) woodworkers spend more time sharpening their tools than they do using them!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    The all the gear no idea tradesmen.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    677 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

You ply me with sausage sarnies and cigars, I’ll sharpen anything you want

Deal, you know I have a box of Casa Cuba
    'Cigars are a hobby, cigarettes an addiction'

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

Alright, it wasn't easy, but I did manage to take it apart AND put it back together... the last one was a bit tricky, but once I solved the puzzle, quite straightforward actually.

I had a few problems lately with the caps of cigars splitting when I cut them. So far it feels very easy to cut, but will see once I cut a few.

Having a concave whetstone, helped to sharpen it, but it was still a tricky task and not as easy as working with a knife. But, with a bit of patience, it worked fine and I now won't have to buy a new cutter for at least another 5-10 years... Maybe even longer if I manage not to fuck up the edge.