Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: singles vs boxes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default singles vs boxes

1 Not allowed!

I know it's cheaper to buy by the box but is it better to buy variety of sticks when starting out instead of boxes of the same brand?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 Not allowed!

Itís often not cheaper to buy by the box, tends to be the same price most places.

Generally Iíd say it was better to buy singles to try as much variety as you can but itís hard to not get drawn into buying full boxes. Thereís just something about a full cab!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by ianc View Post
    I know it's cheaper to buy by the box but is it better to buy variety of sticks when starting out instead of boxes of the same brand?
    Contribute here, participate, get your PM’s and then build by trial and error! Members often do splits and samplers which are worth while explorations.... put off box buying as long as you can!!! Once you pop you just cant stop as they say.....!
    "Dear heart, you're talking to a man- a real man- who drinks straight Tequilla, with lime and salt on the rim, and smokes cigars" (J Zavala)

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by ianc View Post
    Generally yes while you figure out your preferences. But cigars do change over time. And with the Cubano lottery a stick at one time isn't definitive. Good huh?

You can always shift sticks/boxes if they are not to your taste, if you want to get into it. So this does also depend on your space and pocket and energy.

I've ended up with over half my collection as singles. No bad thing!
    .--
    I think I may finally have this CAD under control...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

That's what I have been doing mostly, buying singles along with the odd box. The only downside is when they smoke so well you wish you bought more

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

The problem with buying singles is you can be put off by getting unlucky with a bad one. Also if youíre buying from individuals (not on here) theyíre generally resellers buying to make a profit, the prices are good but thereís generally very little age on what youíre smoking.

I started by buying singles from Cgars and then bought boxes of what Iíve enjoyed and also what everyone tends to have as staples in their humidors, that way I can leave them to age and smoke one from each box every few months and see how theyíre getting on.

As said already if you do want to try singles hang around here and youíll get PMís. Much better for picking up singles/samplers with some age and then buy more of what you like.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Midas View Post
    The problem with buying singles is you can be put off by getting unlucky with a bad one.
    Better than getting unlucky with a whole box!

Probably a rarity.
    Cigar noob

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Better than getting unlucky with a whole box!

Probably a rarity.
    Lol very true. The good thing is if theyíre bad when you start they can still evolve over time so all may not be lost.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

I started out buying singles. Good to get into it and find what you like. But now onto buying boxes. I've popped... And now I can't stop

I just got frustrated with having a bunch of singles which I'd feel guilty about smoking because I know they dont have the age on them to be at their best. I still have most of them waiting to get even a couple of years on them. So I decided to start buying boxes so at least then I can be pretty sure therell be a good portion of them I can get aged. And any that I do smoke I can put down to experience and see how they change, while still having a decent stock of them.

My man maths tells me it's better to put down the money now, early on, then reap the rewards later

New World cigars though I'm happy to buy in 1/2/5 depending on what they are. Although I'll usually buy a few at a time if I know they're reputable.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

I generally buy by the box, however I like most of us started with singles, well usually 3ís. One to try, if I liked them all well and good if I wasnít sure Iíd re-try several months later and the third was to make sure my previous thoughts were correct.

I have never really explored the world of NCís but recently decided to start. As it is such a vast and varied area I will stick to singles from some of the better known and more respected Marcas, until I feel I have an idea of what Iím doing and what direction Iím going.