Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Non-UK Retailers and Tax Evasion Discussions

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by srbmsun View Post
    This is my first, and probably last, post. When a Romeo No2 costs 3 from Geneva, and 13 in Waitrose, something is horribly wrong with the country's taxation.
    Amen to that amigo

....hang around, introduce yourself. Are you a regular cigar smoker yourself?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Not allowed!

I'm sorry but let's kick this crap that cigars in the UK are so expensive because of tax. The UK tax on a julieta no 2 is 2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 Not allowed!

I've just joined the forum and have been smoking Cubans for about 10 years now. I disagree that a Cohiba Robusto or any Siglo should be kept for special occasions, and would instead proffer that the act of lighting said cigar creates the special occasion. I would like to counter the claim that cigar prices in the UK are not expensive due to the tax structure, but to do so would involve probably breaking the rules set forth by the moderator. One need only look at the disparity in price points even amongst EU member states to know that something is amiss. I think we can all agree that Prince John would be happy with the price point, while Robin of Locksley would have a conniption fit.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by srbmsun View Post
    I've just joined the forum and have been smoking Cubans for about 10 years now. I disagree that a Cohiba Robusto or any Siglo should be kept for special occasions, and would instead proffer that the act of lighting said cigar creates the special occasion.
    There is something to be said that the right cigar can create the occasion, saying that I am guilty of saving my 'special' cigars for an occasions.
    Licky Licky before Sticky Sticky. - Puff Scotty 22/03/14

Quote Originally Posted by PeeJay View Post
    I get longing looks from guys walking past

Quote Originally Posted by butternutsquashpie View Post
    A purge follows a rapid puffing session.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Sligub View Post
    I'm sorry but let's kick this crap that cigars in the UK are so expensive because of tax. The UK tax on a julieta no 2 is 2.
    Interesting Ross, it's probably been covered before but is there a breakdown of a standard UK cigar costing?

I.E. What the retailer pays and what the consumer pays and what constitutes the difference?
    Licky Licky before Sticky Sticky. - Puff Scotty 22/03/14

Quote Originally Posted by PeeJay View Post
    I get longing looks from guys walking past

Quote Originally Posted by butternutsquashpie View Post
    A purge follows a rapid puffing session.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Not allowed!

Everyone of these taboos would make for a cracking jolly good on-going discussion!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by ValeTudoGuy View Post
    and what constitutes the difference?
    Whatever the retailer want's it to be. As far as I'm aware unlike France, Germany and Spain where prices are Government fixed, there is no ceiling, there's probably a H&F RRP and the retailers are common sensed enough not to price themselves too far adrift or wide of the local competition. There is also probably a Cigar Retailers group and the occasional little chat amongst themselves about prices wouldn't be unexpected.
    If you want to, you can.
    And, if you can, you must!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by tippexx View Post
    There is also probably a Cigar Retailers group and the occasional little chat amongst themselves about prices wouldn't be unexpected.
    Steady on now tippexx... That's verging on libellous...
    My cigar review blog: The Cigar Monologues (Twitter / Facebook)
    My Company:
    Siparium Sporting

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

A comparison I have noticed between two retailers suggests they don't fix/discuss prices. A box of ten Partie SD4's in is 129 whilst in the other (both in Londonhas them for 169. That is a massive difference for the consumer. The only reason I can think of this is that they both have different discounts from the supplier hence the price, they possibly both have the same margin but because one has a bigger discount from source they can pass this on.

Someone correct me if i have this completely arse about tit.
    SilentBob is quiet no more, name change to VocalBob?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by ValeTudoGuy View Post
    Interesting Ross, it's probably been covered before but is there a breakdown of a standard UK cigar costing?

I.E. What the retailer pays and what the consumer pays and what constitutes the difference?
    As Arf says it's a free market as far as retail goes (h&f however have a monopoly that they will defend).

We can speak about tax structures till the cows come home as long as you don't mention overseas sources or avoiding tax.

The UK duty on cigars is just over 200 per kg ( which is very high I agree) but a robusto weighs aprox 12g so the duty is around 2.50. How does that explain the 10-15 difference between here and Spain?