User Tag List

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: How to declare and prepay excise duty on cigars ordered from abroad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

I recently received a 25 box of HdM Epi 2's from abroad for roughly 90 with contents and value correctly marked on the box. I can't remember the cost breakdown but I know the total bill for customs and admin etc. was 65.

As for prepaying the customs charge to avoid having them seized, as far as I'm aware, as long as the package you receive is correctly labelled there is no reason for it to be seized and the appropriate agencies can just apply the relevant charges. If the customs declaration on a package misrepresents its contents in any way then that is grounds for a seizure.

Good luck with the forms though...I'm watching with interest

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

that sounds right mate,

cigars can only be seized and destroyed if the customs slip on them doesnt declare them as cigars or if there is no slip on them.

nowhere have I seen the option for the sender to calculate taxes... or for the duty to be prepaid. i dont think the option is there. It just means take extra caution making sure the customs office see the NET weight of the tobacco only, and not charge an excess in excise duty!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

It would be helpful if Habanos SA actually printed the net weight on themselves.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by daverave999 View Post
    It would be helpful if Habanos SA actually printed the net weight on themselves.
    Hand made item Dave. Weight would vary by a few grams from box to box of the same brand same cigar.
    If you want to, you can.
    And, if you can, you must!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by tippexx View Post
    Hand made item Dave. Weight would vary by a few grams from box to box of the same brand same cigar.
    I thought part of the quality control of cigars were that that a bunch of 25 cigars or whatever had to weigh the same (within a few grams or whatever) as the next 25 of the same cigars?

I saw a video with something about this, will find it and post it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by tippexx View Post
    Yet they all cost the same price from the tobacconists here!

Anyone in the trade know how it works? Is there a list of agreed average weights that is used to calculate duty in the UK?

[EDIT] If so, do HMRC work from this list? If not, why not? Would be quicker and easier than manually weighing them I suspect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzexJVnrflA

About 7:40 in, he mentions that 50 of the same cigars have to weigh a certain amount for reasons of quality control.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

ok...

Customs form was filled out,

500g of tobacco weighed... so excise should have been about 86.

Got my notice to pay through today:

Excise Duty: 73.14
    V.A.T: 18.72
    Parcelforce clearance fee: 13.50

Total: 105.36

For 25 109 size cigars that isn't too bad I thought. Don't know how they came to 73 on excise... but im not complaining

One annoyance is the 13.50 handling fee... when nowhere on HMRC does it give this figure.
    They just seem to charge what they want. Worked ok in this case, but for anyone else doing the same... check that the weight of the cigars is correct and that the excise duty is reflective of this

BIG thanks to mercer cigars of merida for helping me get this box through legitimately and safely! I fully recommend mercer cigars. Fantastic service and communications

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

Cool, glad it all worked out.

I hate Parcelforce, I import fairly often, it really irks me when I need to pay the 13.50 clearance fee on 4 duty. They seem to have a really tidy contract in which they pick up what feels like 90% of items coming in, plus it tends to add at least another 2 days onto your package arriving. Once upon a time I'd often have a knock at the door with someone who would take the cash for the duty owed, with no extra trimmings.

Although, how you're pleased with paying 105 ontop I'll never understand! That'd leave an unpleasant sting for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: How to declare and prepay excise duty on cigars ordered from abroad

0 Not allowed!

Beats a letter saying up yours they've been destroyed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk