User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 1999 — 2002. The sad, bad years?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

Cheers Cbob, great tobbaco info there & Rocco, think your comment links in to an interview I recently read by J.Suckling, where a Roller complained to him, his supervisor told him it didn't matter what went into the cigar, it was just the labels that were different. Hence the reason for sameness during this dark period.
    Simon Bolivar: Liberator of Bolivia, Ecuador, Peru & Venezuela.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

Oh fascinating. I would love tons more info on the tobacco, varieties and history, this is good stuff!
    "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love, they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock!"

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking Green With Envy!

0 Not allowed!

Don TJ has a box of early 2002 Bolivar Royal Coronas that were a gray/green color when he purchased them, which almost caused him to return 'em, pronto. But he didn't and we Coros are happy he didn't.

Now, after 9 long years of rest in his massive humidor, the sticks still retain the Claro appearance, but smoke fantastic - best BRCs we have ever enjoyed!

Vaya con Dios, Amigos! - don TJ and the Coros

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

Excellent post cbob, thank you. Very interesting information there about changes in tobacco growing/use on the island and the various strains' pros/cons; it certainly broadened my knowledge.
    My cigar review blog: The Cigar Monologues (Twitter / Facebook)
    My Company:
    Siparium Sporting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Big_T_UK View Post
    Oh fascinating. I would love tons more info on the tobacco, varieties and history, this is good stuff!
    You might be interested in getting yourself a copy of this book I picked up a while back then? Try AbeBooks if eBay or Amazon don't have it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

I found a copy in the US for $3.71 but they want $12.99 to ship, hmm....
    "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love, they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Bolivar View Post
    Cheers Cbob, great tobbaco info there & Rocco, think your comment links in to an interview I recently read by J.Suckling, where a Roller complained to him, his supervisor told him it didn't matter what went into the cigar, it was just the labels that were different. Hence the reason for sameness during this dark period.
    I'd put a story like that in the "apocryphal" category.
    I've been visiting the major factories (not just the Partagαs tourist tours) for many years and have never seen rollers with "generic" bundles of tobacco.

Speaking of "possible apocryphal":
    I was told by several cigar men in Havana (including the former mgr. of H. Upmann) that the "sampler" cabs of 5 different marcas of Robustos or Pirαmides that are so popular were actually the same cigars, rolled at Partagαs with different bands and wrapper colours but I've been called on this a few times (although not by anyone who would know for sure) so I won't claim that this subterfuge is reality. You gotta wonder tho when a box includes a "Cohiba" that would sell for almost half of the price of the little 5-cab on its own.
    Commander Bob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by daverave999 View Post
    You might be interested in getting yourself a copy of this book I picked up a while back then? Try AbeBooks if eBay or Amazon don't have it.
    Thanks Dave.
    That's the book I quoted.
    Published in 1996, it has no recent info but loads of great glossy tobacco photos.

(Big_T: It's a slim volume but likely worth the $16.70 total price/shipping. Probably a $25 book when new.

The author is (was?) a biologist deeply involved in developing many of the strains of tobacco grown in Cuba.
    Commander Bob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

Really? Well I will go back and see if it is still in stock. Just seems wrong to pay way more on postage than the cost of the item.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by cbob View Post
    Thanks Dave.
    That's the book I quoted.
    Apologies, I missed that part of your post.